NCAA: 2018 Offseason

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Fields and Lawrence have any chance st starting next year?
Lawrence will probably take over mid-season (a lot like Watson did) if he doesn't win the starting job out of fall camp. Bryant just isn't that good.

Fields might play a little, especially if Fromm struggles, but I don't see him seriously competing for the job until next season. Who knows though. He's going to be really good either way.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Lawrence has a good shot and I think Fields has a better shot than people realize. Fromm isn't anything special while Fields has a Cam Newtonish skillset.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lawrence has a good shot and I think Fields has a better shot than people realize. Fromm isn't anything special while Fields has a Cam Newtonish skillset.
If Fromm doesn’t win the starters job or loses it early, then could see him pulling a Barnett from AB and leave in season. Waste almost 2 years if he gets benched in game 2 and then has to sit out 2019 to transfer. Kind of like Eason who has to sit out this year at UW after playing 1 game last year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m pretty sure that he’d have to re-enter the baseball draft if he did that since he wasn’t a senior. I could be wrong.

Edit: I’m wrong. :laugh:

Murray will just have to drop from his scholarship & pay his own way. Jake Locker did it back in the day. He signed a deal with Angels while still playing two more years of football at Washington after the fact.

I guess it’s a personal thing if it doesn’t really make much sense career wise. He could have been a high pick out of high school but went to school to play football along with baseball. He transferred from A&M & then had to sit behind Mayfield so this is the first chance he’s really had to be the guy.

I’d have to imagine the A’s got him on a cheaper deal by allowing him to continue to play football & start baseball later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Murray will just have to drop from his scholarship & pay his own way. Jake Locker did it back in the day. He signed a deal with Angels while still playing two more years of football at Washington after the fact.

I guess it’s a personal thing if it doesn’t really make much sense career wise. He could have been a high pick out of high school but went to school to play football along with baseball. He transferred from A&M & then had to sit behind Mayfield so this is the first chance he’s really had to be the guy.

I’d have to imagine the A’s got him on a cheaper deal by allowing him to continue to play football & start baseball later.
See how good he is at qb. Sounds like he’s a solid baseball player. Still a long ways to go to get to the majors, but when you compare the upcoming free agent class, you have Donaldson who will be 32 up against guys who are late 20s. Definately will impact the term of his next contract, not that he hasn’t been compensated well to date or will not get a big contract in the winter.

So, there’s a benefit to not delaying your baseball career too long.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I doubt Kirby wants a true freshman starter in each of his first three years as a head coach.

Fromm's quite a bit better than nothing special. Call him a game manager if you want, but he has a knack for making big plays when called upon. Part of it is coaching philosophy as well. Georgia is always going to be run heavy. They're five deep at the position, and Kirby wants to control clock and grind games out on offense.

I do think a sophomore Fields makes the Georgia better than a junior Fromm though. As you've said, he's the closest thing to Cam since Cam. I think he's even a better pure passer than Cam was at the same age.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
See how good he is at qb. Sounds like he’s a solid baseball player. Still a long ways to go to get to the majors, but when you compare the upcoming free agent class, you have Donaldson who will be 32 up against guys who are late 20s. Definately will impact the term of his next contract, not that he hasn’t been compensated well to date or will not get a big contract in the winter.

So, there’s a benefit to not delaying your baseball career too long.

The plan for him is to play this last season of football with Oklahoma before transitioning full time to baseball afterwards. The A’s & him had this agreement in place ahead of time. He’s going to be signing a deal for a few million at least as he just went top ten in the draft. Guys like Locker & Wilson were later round picks & signed for a few $100K knowing their allegiance was with football first.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I doubt Kirby wants a true freshman starter in each of his first three years as a head coach.

Fromm's quite a bit better than nothing special. Call him a game manager if you want, but he has a knack for making big plays when called upon. Part of it is coaching philosophy as well. Georgia is always going to be run heavy. They're five deep at the position, and Kirby wants to control clock and grind games out on offense.

I do think a sophomore Fields makes the Georgia better than a junior Fromm though. As you've said, he's the closest thing to Cam since Cam. I think he's even a better pure passer than Cam was at the same age.

Fromm played well enough as a freshman but they didn't ask him to do much. Fields opens up the offense.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Fromm played well enough as a freshman but they didn't ask him to do much. Fields opens up the offense.
His skill set opens up the offense, sure. Everything from UGA spring ball suggests that Fromm has taken his game to another level.

I think Fields really challenges for the starter spot next year. But this year, unless Fromm gives the job away, I think Kirby's happy to have a guy with experience.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His skill set opens up the offense, sure. Everything from UGA spring ball suggests that Fromm has taken his game to another level.

I think Fields really challenges for the starter spot next year. But this year, unless Fromm gives the job away, I think Kirby's happy to have a guy with experience.
Fromm should remember that Kirby didn’t stay loyal to Eason who was the returning starter last season. Eason got hurt at the start of the year and when he was ready to return he ended up on the bench. One slip from Fromm and he ends up basically RS the remainder of the season if fields goes in and does well. Then Fromm has to sit out next season like Eason has to this year should he transfer which he should.

Eason will basically go almost 2 full seasons without starting aside from game 1 last year. If fields does win the job in spring ball, Fromm should transfer immediately and RS 2018.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Fromm should remember that Kirby didn’t stay loyal to Eason who was the returning starter last season. Eason got hurt at the start of the year and when he was ready to return he ended up on the bench. One slip from Fromm and he ends up basically RS the remainder of the season if fields goes in and does well. Then Fromm has to sit out next season like Eason has to this year should he transfer which he should.

Eason will basically go almost 2 full seasons without starting aside from game 1 last year. If fields does win the job in spring ball, Fromm should transfer immediately and RS 2018.
Kirby also wasn't the primary recruiter for Eason to two different schools.

Of course Fromm could get hurt and Fields could come in and never look back.

Spring practices are over. Fields was as advertised... an elite prospect that needs more time to learn the college game and Chaney's offense. I'm a Georgia fan. I think Fields is going to be a special player. I just don't think it happens this year, provided Fromm stays healthy and doesn't completely regress (which all signs point towards the opposite from the Spring reports). Like I said, I think next year is where it gets interesting. Fields with experience (even more than a typical sophomore because of EE status) is something that I don't think Fromm can beat out.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Demetris Robertson transferring from Cal. Not that uncommon a story for kids from the southeast that go to California schools.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Starting to get pretty hyped for this season. Anyone care to venture predictions for their team of choice? I look at PSU’s schedule and I see at least 10 wins. Thank god the toughest opponents (sans Michigan who personally doesn’t scare me too much) are at home, where we’ve really kicked ass the past few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad