NCAA: 2018 Offseason

Mar 1, 2002
Pretty deep dive on how Urban has changed at Ohio St.

The issues that keep Urban Meyer up at night

Marotti says that in the early years of his Ohio State tenure, Meyer would return from vacation armed with ideas to help make his guys better football players. Now, Meyer is consumed with finding ways to help his players better navigate what the head coach sees as a very volatile world around them.

“It’s probably 80–20 now,” Meyer says, explaining where his focus lies between real-world issues and football-related matters. “When I was younger, it was probably 30–70 more football.

“This is a topic of conversation among my colleagues in the profession now. It’s constant now. Fifteen years ago, no. Back then it was, Tell me about the spread offense. Tell me about punt return. Now it’s about the mental and well-being of your players.”

Meyer has honed his staff’s focus onto the management of four key issues: Sexual assault and harassment on campus; drugs; depression/anxiety; and concussions.

...also very interesting to read about when they had a team meeting about the Kaepernick protest, Meyer said the players had the right to do what they wanted and he would respect their decision. The team ended up not protesting, but instead work in the community together. They would rather do something to help in the community than just do something symbolically.

Mar 1, 2002
Burrow went to LSU. So now they have a legit QB. If coaching doesn't get in his way, I can see him crushing it there, but they open against TheU and have road games this year at Florida, Arkansas and A&M and they host Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss and MSU.

Good luck, Joe.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Johnson apparently checking out Purdue and Northwestern.
Lawrence is that highly touted. Makes sense for Johnson to transfer. If Bryant transfers hat will be huge. But, if he can’t hold off Lawrence then his year is going t basically be a RS year for him if he ends up the backup.

This is why for qbs hey have to really factor in whether that coach has a history of Bringing in top recruits each year. That and don’t buy into your own hype. 5 star recruit doesn’t mean that you will play right away especially if there is a returning starter.

When coaches Annually recruit a top 5 HS QB you are bound to see transfers. Only 1 guy can play. Every other O and D position it’s easier to sub in or swap positions. LT may either kick inside or move to RT as under class men and kick back to LT as upper class men.

As for the question on Patterson, I think the NCAA allowed the upper class men at ole miss to transfer and play right away due to ththe sanctions. Similar to penn state players.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Burrow went to LSU. So now they have a legit QB. If coaching doesn't get in his way, I can see him crushing it there, but they open against TheU and have road games this year at Florida, Arkansas and A&M and they host Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss and MSU.

Good luck, Joe.

LSU's offensive staff is a bunch of Ed Orgeron's good ol boy pals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->