Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
One thing to consider from Steve's end is how crutial he views next season. If he thinks '19 is make or break for us then he may want EK now and not wait.

Maybe he thinks '19 is our best chance. Maybe the Kuch talks aren't going well. If so, Steve won't want to wait another year.

Only he truly knows the future outlook of the team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The only way I would send Sergachev for Karlsson is if they weren't sending Ryan back or if they took Callahan.

Sergachev + Gourde + Coburn/Girardi (cap) + Koekkoek + Stephens/Joseph/Volkov + 2020 1st for Karlsson?
Sergachev + Callahan + Coburn/Girardi + Koekkoek + Stephens/Joseph/Volkov + 1st for Karlsson + Ryan?

Karlsson 11mil next year we get from Girardi/Coburn/Stralman all gone that's 11.2 so a little change left. Fill the other two spots with ELC'S which with a cap raise should be fine. Move out Gourde now so we don't have to extend him, with the cap space we have now that'll go towards Kucherov so we might need to buy out Callahan to free up 3mil for Point. If we take Ryan we send Callahan and they are only 1.5 off cap wise so need to make a small move for a little more space.
I agree we can’t take Bobby Ryan back unless they take Callahan and I’m sure Ottawa won’t be on Callahan’s trade list he would approve! So we would have to find a team to take Callahan.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Lol, what? That defense is literally AIDS. I'm not saying they won't be a great team next year, but that D... oof.

As for Karlsson... what realistically would we give up in order to maintain cap? I think it'd be really nice if we could get him, but... how? I was on the trade Johnny train if Tavares was coming, but now that that NTC has kicked in...
Toronto goals against was 232
Tampa bay goals against was 236. For the life of me I can’t figure out why? Because on paper our defenseman should be better.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Rick Bowness.
Yes...and Yzerman fired him a few days after the end of the season...
Our defense is way better than Toronto one.
I can assume that Gardiner or Zaitsev or Rielly are better than Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev...
Remember that we've the 27th PK in the league.
27th.

Edit: I CANNOT assume...Sorry, I've made a mistake, writing that sentence.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes...and Yzerman fired him a few days after the end of the season...
Our defense is way better than Toronto one.
I can assume that Gardiner or Zaitsev or Rielly are better than Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev...
Remember that we've the 27th PK in the league.
27th.

Yeah. And we had the 29th ranked PP in the league before Todd Richards took it over.

Richards might seriously wind up the head coach of this team. It seems like he's the guy Yzerman turns to to fix problems.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Yeah. And we had the 29th ranked PP in the league before Todd Richards took it over.

Richards might seriously wind up the head coach of this team. It seems like he's the guy Yzerman turns to to fix problems.
Richards is very important for us.
And, yes, I hope to sign Karlsson but, first of all, I hope so see a big improvement of our defense and, in particular, of our PK system, next season.
If that won't happen, we won't win. Also with EK in our roster.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Man, i'm going over in my head what how we'd make it work if we got EK. I know it would cost us some serious piecses but its Erik freaking Karlsson. Not only that but everyone knows that he WANTS OUT of Ottawa and you never see a player like that become available.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If Karlsson is coming back I don't mind losing Foote. It's not like it would be the end of the world if we had to ice Dotchin or Cernak on the bottom pairing next to whoever.

Tough part is selling somebody on waiving to Ottawa where the sky is falling 24/7.

Reactions: Master P

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
Just fyi, SY meeting with JT was mostly about trying to up the price tag for TOR. Also, the NYR are the third team involved trying to get EK to Tampa. TIFWIW.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
For the love of God no more Rangers. Only if Bobby Ryan is going there. The sheer amount of players we've had from their Cup loss sometimes makes me wonder if we just didn't inherit a group who can't get over the hump no differently now than then.

Reactions: Todd1a

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
For the love of God no more Rangers. Only if Bobby Ryan is going there. The sheer amount of players we've had from their Cup loss sometimes makes me wonder if we just didn't inherit a group who can't get over the hump no differently now than then.

We would be offering up a pick/prospect for them to take him. We more than likely wouldn't get anything from them as we can't take anything from them. We would get Karlsson, NYR would get Ryan and something from us, Ottawa would get the main return from us. The only player coming back to us would be Erik Karlsson. If that even happened.

But I agree, the Rangers southern migration needs to end. It's like going to a buffet. I'm full, time to push away and say no.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We would be offering up a pick/prospect for them to take him. We more than likely wouldn't get anything from them as we can't take anything from them. We would get Karlsson, NYR would get Ryan and something from us, Ottawa would get the main return from us. The only player coming back to us would be Erik Karlsson. If that even happened.

But I agree, the Rangers southern migration needs to end. It's like going to a buffet. I'm full, time to push away and say no.

So long as the assets deemed untouchable by Yzerman remain that way. It would look bad on us to just suddenly give in and give up a guy like Sergachev when we can likely afford to wait this process out. If the rumors are true that we are EK's first choice and that was part of negotiations (even when discussing with other teams) then we're gonna be holding all the cards.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Karlsson is coming back I don't mind losing Foote. It's not like it would be the end of the world if we had to ice Dotchin or Cernak on the bottom pairing next to whoever.

Tough part is selling somebody on waiving to Ottawa where the sky is falling 24/7.

I keep thinking Gourde goes back. Keep in mind, if we land Karlsson, I doubt we'll be able to afford Gourde anyway. He'll be a UFA, not RFA, so a repeat performance will get him big bucks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just fyi, SY meeting with JT was mostly about trying to up the price tag for TOR. Also, the NYR are the third team involved trying to get EK to Tampa. TIFWIW.

Do we know that? Because that's one of the few teams I can imagine Callahan waiving for, who'd also want him.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
So long as the assets deemed untouchable by Yzerman remain that way. It would look bad on us to just suddenly give in and give up a guy like Sergachev when we can likely afford to wait this process out. If the rumors are true that we are EK's first choice and that was part of negotiations (even when discussing with other teams) then we're gonna be holding all the cards.

I don't think we've given up or will give up on Sergachev if we traded him. We gave up on Drouin because he was a brat. I'm not under the impression Yzerman or anybody wants him out. He's a great player and we gave up on Drouin for a 1 for 1. That was ballsy and it already panned out on year one. It could have easily taken more time to work out but Sergachev stepped right in. We aren't casting him aside or leaving him hanging. The dilemma is, Erik Karlsson seems completely available and Sergachev just so happens to be a high potential defenseman they could use, of high value, cheap, young and on top of that, a pretty good defenseman that can move the puck. I don't think it sends a message or seems like we would be giving up on him like we did Drouin (albeit his dumb ass gave up on us too to an extent). It just so happens to be stars aligning that the best offensive defenseman is available and we have a piece we can offer them to minimize what we give up. It would sting but at the same time, having the Swedes and McD in your top 4 isn't something to cry about.

All contingent on if we are even trying to acquire him and if Sergachev is somebody Dorion wants and/or Yzerman is willing to offer up.

Johnson, Foote, Raddysh and a pick. Foote won't be needed as Cernak can make his appearance later or Dotchin fill in next year after the Coburn/G pairing leaves. Johnson will be missed but maybe Gourde repeats and we don't lose Palat for much time. Maybe somebody else steps up. Cirelli could help out under a full season. Raddysh wouldn't be needed as there are others. Pick won't really hurt us given we are pushing the chips all in to win it now.

But it's unlikely Johnson or anybody would want to play there. Going from a contender to a moldy basement isn't promising.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I keep thinking Gourde goes back. Keep in mind, if we land Karlsson, I doubt we'll be able to afford Gourde anyway. He'll be a UFA, not RFA, so a repeat performance will get him big bucks.

I'd rather not move Gourde. We can probably resign him for less than Johnson and he's got a motor that won't go dead. Johnson looked pedestrian for stretches of the season. Gourde might not produce but if he hits 50 points, he does so many little things so well. Johnson does too but we can probably get Gourde for 4.5M. But like you've said before and I mentioned above, I highly doubt Johnson is willing to go there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd rather not move Gourde. We can probably resign him for less than Johnson and he's got a motor that won't go dead. Johnson looked pedestrian for stretches of the season. Gourde might not produce but if he hits 50 points, he does so many little things so well. Johnson does too but we can probably get Gourde for 4.5M. But like you've said before and I mentioned above, I highly doubt Johnson is willing to go there.

I think he gets more than 4.5 if he has close to the season he just had. Keep in mind his gonna be a UFA. T his isn't a bridge situation. A guy who's roughly 30-30 makes a lot of money on the open market these days.

The other thing: No NTC.

If we acquire Erik Karlsson, it's not gonna be painless. The one thing with Gourde though is, maybe Ottawa doesn't want a guy not locked down, considering the way guys are fleeing. So maybe Miller, locked down for 5 years, with an NTC that hasn't kicked in yet, would be more attractive. But I'd bet, if Gourde's not in the deal, we're probably giving up Sergachev. It's Erik Karlsson, after all, presumably with a contract in place.

All that said, if we do acquire Karlsson, I don't think we'll be able to keep Gourde. We'll have so much money tied up in EK, 77, 91, 86, and then 21.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Also. The Gourde situation is another stumbling upon a gem. I don't think anybody would've predicted this season being the way it was for him but a guy like that who can pot 25 where something crazy like 15? or more were from within 10 feet is not a good option to remove from the lineup. Johnson already stays to the perimeter for a bit. Removing one of the few guys who get to the net instead of cross ice passing for highlight reel goals is something we are in dire need of, even is he's only 5'2" and 123lbs. His forecheck is much more noticeable than Johnson's. Downside is moving Johnson given how he usually turns it up in the postseason.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Also. The Gourde situation is another stumbling upon a gem. I don't think anybody would've predicted this season being the way it was for him but a guy like that who can pot 25 where something crazy like 15? or more were from within 10 feet is not a good option to remove from the lineup. Johnson already stays to the perimeter for a bit. Removing one of the few guys who get to the net instead of cross ice passing for highlight reel goals is something we are in dire need of, even is he's only 5'2" and 123lbs. His forecheck is much more noticeable than Johnson's. Downside is moving Johnson given how he usually turns it up in the postseason.

Isn't Johnson's NTC full? It's way beyond unlikely that we're moving him, or even could if we were desperate. We're probably at a point where moving Callahan would be easier.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ya but at the deadline we trade to get vladdy back that’s our next ranger target lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad