Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Dotchin would have to pass through waivers. I also think he's just about topped out as far as his potential, he's 24, and they would give those minutes to guys like Cernak or Foote in Syracuse if given the choice. He's a good option to have on nights they want to go 7 or give someone a rest though.

If that's the case then yea either keep him as a 7d or press box duty. Or trade him if you can. Just don't see much use for him here. Rather see Koekkoek or even Cernak get a shot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We have no first rounder, all our valuable pieces have NTCs, and Ottawa is arguably the least desirable team to play for in the NHL. So. That's gonna be fun.

My only guess is we're offering Gourde. Maybe Sergachev (for Karlsson). I think if Yzerman pulls something off, it's going to be unpopular for a while.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Would rather keep Serg than get Karlsson. Its just not gonna work. Trade is basically impossible due to all the NTCs and lack of picks and with free agency he'll ask for too much and we can't afford it with Point, Kuch and Vasi all getting big paydays.

Signing McDonagh meant no Karlsson

Reactions: StarLightning

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Ottawa just saw what happened to NYI and Tavares, they are probably fearful of Karlsson doing the same. The negotiations is simply so Ottawa can get SOMETHING in return. In fact, this may actually help Yzerman trade for him if Karlsson is dead set on Tampa only.

Sure we have little value in a trade sense, but if he only wants Tampa, Ottawa's hand will be forced to accept the return or lose him regardless next year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm guessing Yzerman has talked to Karlsson, which is how it leaked to Friedman that we're still active.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
If Yzerman had a contingency plan to clear up $10+M for Tavares, I don't see why that would change for Karlsson. In fact, one of them could be a piece heading back to Ottawa if anyone is kind/dumb enough to waive.

The only hang up would be if he was hesitant to move a forward that would have been replaced by Tavares if he was signed.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
To me, Karlsson is a bigger game changer than Tavares, but he will also cost the team more in terms of trade vs. free agency. If both had a year left, my guess would be that Karlsson would take priority. But Tavares for free is one hell of a value.

Karlsson is just masterful though. Brilliant, creative player. Not to mention our powerplay would be unstoppable, and we would finally have a RHD who can hit the net.

But is a signed Karlsson worth the truckload of assets Ottawa would demand for him? The Sens are in a position where they really can't afford to screw this up. I don't know if low balling will work unless every other team follows suit.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
To me, Karlsson is a bigger game changer than Tavares, but he will also cost the team more in terms of trade vs. free agency. If both had a year left, my guess would be that Karlsson would take priority. But Tavares for free is one hell of a value.

Karlsson is just masterful though. Brilliant, creative player. Not to mention our powerplay would be unstoppable, and we would finally have a RHD who can hit the net.

But is a signed Karlsson worth the truckload of assets Ottawa would demand for him? The Sens are in a position where they really can't afford to screw this up. I don't know if low balling will work unless every other team follows suit.
Now there shopping him letting teams talk contract there best offers were at the trade deadline from Tampa and Vegas and they kept him they deserve to get low balled now.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016

Not only low balled, but if Karlsson tells the other teams he only wants Tampa, nobody will bother to trade their assets only to be the next NYI.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Toronto probably takes the division there a lot closer to be better then us now

Lol, what? That defense is literally AIDS. I'm not saying they won't be a great team next year, but that D... oof.

As for Karlsson... what realistically would we give up in order to maintain cap? I think it'd be really nice if we could get him, but... how? I was on the trade Johnny train if Tavares was coming, but now that that NTC has kicked in...

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I bet he wants to go to a team that can win now. At this point in his career he's not gonna wanna go to NYI, NYR or COL. Hell, I bet he has reservations in going to VGK cause that might have been a fluke.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Maybe Steve is scarred by how last season ended and is willing to dump Foote to stack our lineup. Maybe that loss to Washington made him recognize his teams mortality, in a manner of speaking.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We have prospects to trade but no cap room, we'd have to trade a roster player but most of them have NTC.

We probably should have dumped Johnson before July 1st.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
We have no first rounder, all our valuable pieces have NTCs, and Ottawa is arguably the least desirable team to play for in the NHL. So. That's gonna be fun.

My only guess is we're offering Gourde. Maybe Sergachev (for Karlsson). I think if Yzerman pulls something off, it's going to be unpopular for a while.

Unpopular ? If that Tampa-Karlsson connection is for real, we're just one season away from getting him for cash only. So in the end, you give away a young promising dman for a rental player. Is one year of Karlsson worth a cost controlled Sergachev ?

Only if we win the Cup, and there's no way to know whether we couldn't achieve it with Sergachev instead (not saying he's in the same conversation, but this team is already a Cup contender without Karlsson). That trade would be an insanely reckless move cap wise. Like crazy-wolf-of-wall-street- cocaine-fulled-yolo-now-or-never type of measure.

Sergachev is not going to be the next Karlsson but he could still become better than a semi-sheltered offensive dman, a fair projection at first when we got him. he developed something about his game that he never showed before tho, he displayed such an ice-in-your-veins kind of calmness with the puck, in all zones, that we have to wait & see whether that composure is for real.

So let's hope Yzerman remains patient and see how Sergachev develops as much as he sees whether Karlsson totally recovered from his injury. I don't want to believe Yzerman would ever consider that move.

We don't have the available assets to get Karlsson out of Ottawa. Friedman is just milking the free agency cow I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad