Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'd like to think Sergachev is key to making Karlsson work in Tampa (via ELC). I'd rather trade Stralman to be honest.
Stralman has nothing to do with getting EK though. The point is if Sergachev is what it takes to get EK.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
The best bet is waiting till EK hits UFA, I just want some kind of shake up this offseason. All these NTC really are hurting more than helping.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The best bet is waiting till EK hits UFA, I just want some kind of shake up this offseason. All these NTC really are hurting more than helping.
Now I’m good with going for him if he hits the Ufa market then trade Johnson or killorn buy out Callahan trade cally what ever to make money work. If yzerman would not give up foote for karlsson there is not way he gives up sergachev in a package for karlsson.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
21212942.gif

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I understand the potential difference and while it's only one year for Sergachev, I think he will have more of an impact than Drouin in their careers, but;

If you turn Jonathan Drouin into Erik Karlsson via 1 year of Mikhail Sergachev and a roster player/pick/prospect (whatever the package would be providing Serg was the starting point), its hard to pass up.

A top four of Hedman, Karlsson and McD with somebody else sprinkled in is like fantasy mode on steroids. Long term and in order to compete with a younger PMD that will be cheaper for much longer until EK is possibly 36 or 37 years old is quite the difference.

It really comes down to how much Yzerman and the coaching staff is going to value the talent and potential of Sergachev vs unknowns and the contract of Karlsson. I don't see us parting with our best center in Point and outside of that, Killorn, Palat and Johnson don't seem like the guys that would go to Ottawa and join that mess for the sake of being a pro. If we traded for him and didn't move Sergachev, we should put up a statue of Yzerman next to Espo because it will have meant we got rid of a 5x5, Callahan or prospects that we really won't need (all of them) to fill the last two spots on the bottom pair or bottom 6.

So, would people be happy with him essentially flipping Drouin into Serg into Karlsson? I'm mixed on that. It would be sad losing Serg but those 3/4 in the top 4... wow.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I understand the potential difference and while it's only one year for Sergachev, I think he will have more of an impact than Drouin in their careers, but;

If you turn Jonathan Drouin into Erik Karlsson via 1 year of Mikhail Sergachev and a roster player/pick/prospect (whatever the package would be providing Serg was the starting point), its hard to pass up.

A top four of Hedman, Karlsson and McD with somebody else sprinkled in is like fantasy mode on steroids. Long term and in order to compete with a younger PMD that will be cheaper for much longer until EK is possibly 36 or 37 years old is quite the difference.

It really comes down to how much Yzerman and the coaching staff is going to value the talent and potential of Sergachev vs unknowns and the contract of Karlsson. I don't see us parting with our best center in Point and outside of that, Killorn, Palat and Johnson don't seem like the guys that would go to Ottawa and join that mess for the sake of being a pro. If we traded for him and didn't move Sergachev, we should put up a statue of Yzerman next to Espo because it will have meant we got rid of a 5x5, Callahan or prospects that we really won't need (all of them) to fill the last two spots on the bottom pair or bottom 6.

So, would people be happy with him essentially flipping Drouin into Serg into Karlsson? I'm mixed on that. It would be sad losing Serg but those 3/4 in the top 4... wow.
The answer is: People would bitch about how it got done but wouldn't complain for one freaking second once the season starts and they saw EK on the ice in blue and white.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We're gonna have to make sure Gourde and Point are coming back dirt cheap if we're doing this Karlsson thing. Even with an $83 million cap we're cutting it very close. I mean God if we lose both Gourde AND Miller then we aren't gonna have anyone to score our goals

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The only way I would send Sergachev for Karlsson is if they weren't sending Ryan back or if they took Callahan.

Sergachev + Gourde + Coburn/Girardi (cap) + Koekkoek + Stephens/Joseph/Volkov + 2020 1st for Karlsson?
Sergachev + Callahan + Coburn/Girardi + Koekkoek + Stephens/Joseph/Volkov + 1st for Karlsson + Ryan?

Karlsson 11mil next year we get from Girardi/Coburn/Stralman all gone that's 11.2 so a little change left. Fill the other two spots with ELC'S which with a cap raise should be fine. Move out Gourde now so we don't have to extend him, with the cap space we have now that'll go towards Kucherov so we might need to buy out Callahan to free up 3mil for Point. If we take Ryan we send Callahan and they are only 1.5 off cap wise so need to make a small move for a little more space.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Lightning are going to have to get a cost controlled wing along with Karlsson. I don't see how Gourde isn't gonna make out like a bandit once he's a UFA and I don't see any move where we don't lose Miller too. It's is gonna take a lot of teams and a lot of cooperation

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just play along:

If EK agreed to sign long term for 8.5-9.5M would you include Sergachev?

I think we'd have to. Sergachev is going to be good, but I don't know that he'll ever be as good as Karlsson will be over the next 3-4 years. Even if Karlsson is starting a decline. And I don't think "bang for your buck" really comes into play when you're talking about the elite of the elite players in the NHL. He can do things other guys just can't.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I suggest you not to be happy too soon...
It remains a very very hard trade, also for Yzerman.
Also because there's the Ryan problem...that Yzerman has to solve before.
So, we're far from EK now I think.
The difference in this scenario compared to others is EK's apparent desire to be here. If that's the case then this will be easier on Steve.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The difference in this scenario compared to others is EK's apparent desire to be here. If that's the case then this will be easier on Steve.

Apparent....that's the right word. "Apparent" is only a rumors...not a true news. And, if Tampa won't be able to sign him, it's also possible that he'll change that apparent preference...
I don't know if it's easier for Yzerman. Without Ryan, I'd agree with you, but Bobby is an important part of the trade.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Apparent....that's the right word. "Apparent" is only a rumors...not a true news. And, if Tampa won't be able to sign him, it's also possible that he'll change that apparent preference...
I don't know if it's easier for Yzerman. Without Ryan, I'd agree with you, but Bobby is an important part of the trade.
Everything is a rumor, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad