Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't know what it is with these guys. The offense fell flat again, the defense rarely engaged except to backcheck in the neutral zone, PK has been a disaster. So much of what made us successful at the start of the year has disappeared. It almost feels like it was unsustainable. I do think we have a winner here but the team still needs work. I guess I'll start

- Get a new voice for the PK and defense. I think the game has passed Bowness by. To be honest I have never seen a team win it all with a PK this bad. We got away with it far too long

- Start shedding salary by letting go of players like Miller, Sustr, Coburn, Kunitz and at Sky's suggestion someone else like Killorn or Johnson. I am in favor of keeping Killorn however

- I was thoroughly unimpressed by McDonagh and as of this particular moment do not want him back, although I can be won over. I would not be saddened to see us try for Karlsson again.

Your thoughts? I'll have more as the thread goes on I'm sure

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Stammer, Killer, Palat all have a NTC

Miller can go, trade his rights, RFA. Enough with this Rangers south crap. Trade McDonough too.

TJ may be the odd guy out. NTC kicks in, I think June or July.

I don’t think you can deal Kuch. But I wouldn’t pay him yet either after that playoff performance.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We need to get rid of this generation's Purcells, Malones, etc. I've been killed on here in the past but we could use some more size on the front end, even if it's just a few players in the bottom six. Katchouk should help with that.

What we do with Miller is going to be really interesting. I thought for sure in April that he would be re-upped, but now I think we take a second look. He could be looking at big $$$

Reactions: Stammertime91

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Unless there is a major trade, the roster will essentially be identical next year.

Unless we want to throw next season in the trash too, I think Yzerman needs to take a serious look at the coaching staff. Yeah it's easy to just throw Bowness under the bus, but don't forget he is under the command of Cooper. I honestly think the buck has to stop with Cooper.

Just look at this Washington series, lesser players on the Washington side just shutting things down in the defensive zone because they are playing in a structure that works. All year in our own zone we were an absolute mess. It only got marginally better in the playoffs.

Other issue I have with Cooper is the inconsistent effort he gets out of the team. I've never seen a team so up and down. Despite the talent getting us through it, there were stretches of this season where this team looked pathetic.

Coaches two main jobs are strategy and motivation and there's some major issues I see in both parts.

I know Cooper is a nice guy, I like him. I know a lot of you guys will call me too reactionary, that's not the case. I've just seen too many red flags with this team for too long. If we go in next year with Cooper and the same lineup, do we really expect to have a different result?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm pretty sure Miller is gone. Just didn't do nearly enough. Or he stays if we get rid of Killorn maybe. Don't need both of them on this team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We need to get rid of this generation's Purcells, Malones, etc. I've been killed on here in the past but we could use some more size on the front end, even if it's just a few players in the bottom six. Katchouk should help with that.

What we do with Miller is going to be really interesting. I thought for sure in April that he would be re-upped, but now I think we take a second look. He could be looking at big $$$

EFFF that bro. Miller can pack his bags and go. I wasn't elated to get him to begin with and was even more against bringing him back if it meant a big pay day. No way in hell this guy is worth $5 million after this. Nuh uh. As for Katchouk the guy just simply isn't ready yet. Too soon too much for him. I hate to say it but Cirelli and Point are somewhat uncommon exceptions to the rule to finish their junior career and not have to play much in the AHL and we're extremely fortunate to have both.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'm up for firing Bowness. I think Cooper gives him too much of a free rein. With the personnel we have there is no fricking way our defense or our PK should be as bad as it was.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Will be interesting to see what SY does. I can’t imagine he doesn’t make some kind of shake up. We were close again here but something is lacking where we can take it to another level. We didn’t get any bounces in this game but we sure let some crap goals in and nobody on offense did anything worth writing home about.

Sure it’s a tough game 7 but our best players didn’t step up in this crucial game 7. A lot of our guys dissappeared in this round. I just think we gotta rethink the roster a little bit and some guys need to go but that’s hockey. On to next year and hopefully our team can be better. I know that asks for a lot and it’s no guarantee that we get back here but I think we have a chance to have a better team. Should be an interesting offseason.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm pretty sure Miller is gone. Just didn't do nearly enough. Or he stays if we get rid of Killorn maybe. Don't need both of them on this team.
I’ve always thought Stevie trades Miller and gets a first rounder back this year or next. Forget paying Miller give Erne or Joseph a shot in the top 9

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
YhBbUwn.jpg

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
EFFF that bro. Miller can pack his bags and go. I wasn't elated to get him to begin with and was even more against bringing him back if it meant a big pay day. No way in hell this guy is worth $5 million after this. Nuh uh. As for Katchouk the guy just simply isn't ready yet. Too soon too much for him. I hate to say it but Cirelli and Point are somewhat uncommon exceptions to the rule to finish their junior career and not have to play much in the AHL and we're extremely fortunate to have both.

Katchouk will be on the team in the next 1.5 years. Bank on it

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think firing the coach makes sense. I think Caps mainly won because of superior coaching. Hopefully you win it next season.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I’ll bite I’d like to fire cooper but really who is available better then cooper ?

I like the Red Wings AHL team headcoach, but to win the Cup you probably need to go with somebody more experienced. I personally like Paul McLean, his team played really hard against my Rangers in the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We should trade Miller's rights to try to get back into the 1st round.

With Johnson, we should look to Calgary and try to bring back a D.

I don't think Killorn is movable.

While I do think we got pretty badly outcoached in this series (which tends to be the case in serieses we lose), I think there's no way we fire Cooper. That said, I do think the bar for him is set at the ECF now, and if we fall short of that next year, his seat will warm up.

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
Alain Vigneault come here. He’s one of the worst with bad teams, but one of the best with good teams. We’re a good team, let’s hire him.

And get rid of Sustr, he sucks at hockey

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The only choice I'll go with is Sheldon Keefe if we need to replace Cooper. He hasn't won a heck of a lot of championships but he's basically the hottest guy out there right now and it's highly possible he will cash in a Calder Cup to boot. I don't want a retread like AV or Ruff. Give me new blood if we HAVE TO fire Cooper. But we really don't. He got a better roster and it played better. We lost in the ECF again because (per usual) the big guns went quiet. They were completely invisible all night. How much of that is REALLY on the coach? What is he gonna do? Tell them to play harder? Split up lines that already have fragile chemistry between them -especially Stamkos/Kucherov and Palat/Johnson?

I'm otherwise in favor of overhauling the defense

lightingismyteam

May 23, 2018
1. fire cooper
2. fire cooper
3. fire cooper
4. yzemand heading to detroit to replace holland
5. burning my litgnting jerey
6.fire cooper

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We should trade Miller's rights to try to get back into the 1st round.

With Johnson, we should look to Calgary and try to bring back a D.

I don't think Killorn is movable.

While I do think we got pretty badly outcoached in this series (which tends to be the case in serieses we lose), I think there's no way we fire Cooper. That said, I do think the bar for him is set at the ECF now, and if we fall short of that next year, his seat will warm up.

he had 3 very good chances with same team and failed, you really want to bet that he is the right coach to win a Cup?

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Now I know why the Rangers could never get over the hump, it wasn't Lundqvist after all. It was the collection of garbage that is Callahan, McDonagh, Stralman, Girardi, Miller and even Boyle. Yzerman needs to stop shopping in a trash heap and get some quality in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->