Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If your going to let coburn walk at seasons end why not trade coburn for a asset now and let koekoekk play that role full time? That way we got more cap room at the deadline ? We really need to see what koekoekk can do full time.

If there is a good deal that is something I would be for. It's not something I would necessarily force though if we have 5M in cap space, we could afford basically anyone at the trade deadline.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If there is a good deal that is something I would be for. It's not something I would necessarily force though if we have 5M in cap space, we could afford basically anyone at the trade deadline.
I’m not a big fan of both girardi and coburn on the bottom pairing together at least koekoekk can skate better then both of them I’d say you move one of them being that coburn is a lefty I’d pick him to go. In 2019-2020 on defense we are going to have a big youth movement back there I’d like to get one of them in there full time now.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Coburn played the right side for the first year and a half he was here

Yeah, Coburn has always been Mr. Flexible with regards to which side defense he plays. :laugh:

Also, Sergachev played the end of the season (after McD came at TDL) and the entire playoffs on the right side and looked great for such a young rookie. Yzerman himself said that Sergachev looked terrific on the right side so I don't think that's a big problem. I would not at all be surprised to see:

Hedman-Strålman
McDonagh-Sergachev
Koekkoek/Coburn-Girardi

If we don't trade Coby, maybe he could be the 7th D because his ability to play either R or L allows for him to fill in a variety of ways. I wonder if Dotchin will be traded because he's got Strålman, probably Sergachev and Girardi all in front of him on the right and Cernak and Foote coming up behind?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It’s not horrible but yzerman has always been to scared to do a youth movement on our defense

To start the 2013-14 season we had Hedman, Gudas, Barberio and Sustr as 23 and under defenders. We made the playoffs that year. This group is better than all but Hedman and the vets we will have are better than Carle, Brewer or Salo.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
To start the 2013-14 season we had Hedman, Gudas, Barberio and Sustr as 23 and under defenders. We made the playoffs that year. This group is better than all but Hedman and the vets we will have are better than Carle, Brewer or Salo.
That was the best season I ever saw bishop play he really stood on his head all that season until of course he got injured

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
And still a fact hose that yzerman has never drafted and devolped a top 4 defenseman since starting in Tampa bay in 2010. So we’ll see if any of foote, masin or koekoekk pan out ?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned Voynov yet.... So I'll say it, is there any GM in this league having the [im]moral standards to give the wife-beater a contract ?

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
It’s not horrible but yzerman has always been to scared to do a youth movement on our defense
I don’t think he has been scared as much as he has had very few NHL caliber prospects to insert. I think Yzerman would have really liked to have young Dmen make the lineup, but in the Yzerman era, the drafting and development of Dmen has been poor, especially compared to forwards. They gave 6th rounder Dotchin a chance and he was never projected as more than a long shot 3rd pair guy; and let’s not forget 5th rounder Nesterov. There just haven’t been many options from the prospect pool until now. Foote, Masin, and Cernak are the only three I can think who have realistically projected as NHLers, besides Koekkoek and DeAngelo. You can never be sure until they get a look in the NHL, and with Coburn and Girardi leaving, that needs to happen this year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don’t think he has been scared as much as he has had very few NHL caliber prospects to insert. I think Yzerman would have really liked to have young Dmen make the lineup, but in the Yzerman era, the drafting and development of Dmen has been poor, especially compared to forwards. They gave 6th rounder Dotchin a chance and he was never projected as more than a long shot 3rd pair guy; and let’s not forget 5th rounder Nesterov. There just haven’t been many options from the prospect pool until now. Foote, Masin, and Cernak are the only three I can think who have realistically projected as NHLers, besides Koekkoek and DeAngelo. You can never be sure until they get a look in the NHL, and with Coburn and Girardi leaving, that needs to happen this year.
Yes agree 100 percent that’s what we need to see a youth movement this year if you know girardi and coburn are gone get some in there this year at least one. Other wise we will have three rookies out of 6 playing defense in the nhl full time. We all know it takes defenseman about 300 games to get used to the nhl well. We need to get one of foote or masin started. Really did coburn look great in the playoffs?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned Voynov yet.... So I'll say it, is there any GM in this league having the [im]moral standards to give the wife-beater a contract ?
Ya I’m not that bad to bring another problem kid to Tampa bay Winston is enough! I’m smart enough to know yzerman is not going to put up with that

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yes agree 100 percent that’s what we need to see a youth movement this year if you know girardi and coburn are gone get some in there this year at least one. Other wise we will have three rookies out of 6 playing defense in the nhl full time. We all know it takes defenseman about 300 games to get used to the nhl well. We need to get one of foote or masin started. Really did coburn look great in the playoffs?

Well with Sustr gone (fingers crossed) then Koekkoek should get more of an opportunity. I think if we get some injuries we should see Cernak, Masin, and Foote (if he looks good in Syracuse) get a look. Next year will be the interesting one with Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi all UFA. That is when the real youth movement on D happens. Even if we re-sign Stralman. I wonder what they do with Dotchin. Im hoping he plays the whole year down in Syracuse. He could use the playing time.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well with Sustr gone (fingers crossed) then Koekkoek should get more of an opportunity. I think if we get some injuries we should see Cernak, Masin, and Foote (if he looks good in Syracuse) get a look. Next year will be the interesting one with Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi all UFA. That is when the real youth movement on D happens. Even if we re-sign Stralman. I wonder what they do with Dotchin. Im hoping he plays the whole year down in Syracuse. He could use the playing time.

Dotchin would have to pass through waivers. I also think he's just about topped out as far as his potential, he's 24, and they would give those minutes to guys like Cernak or Foote in Syracuse if given the choice. He's a good option to have on nights they want to go 7 or give someone a rest though.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I honestly don't think Yzerman would go near that guy without him being cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad