2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
well in theory you could say the same about Nick Foles. Turned down likely more $$ and near guaranteed opportunity to start in CLE to stay here as a backup. Granted...the situation is MUCH better in PHI than CLE.

But moneys not everything...

He got a raise & he’s still going to get his shot elesewhere after this season. So that’s not really comparable.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I mean, raccoons are pretty cool. I'd say skunks is more like it. Trust me, I'm farm people.

Yeah, farm people.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
He got a raise & he’s still going to get his shot elesewhere after this season. So that’s not really comparable.
I guess....present value/opportunity cost is something though.

If Foles doesnt play his stock goes down some, IMO...because SB52 was last year. He likely wont be worth what he was the in the last 3 months.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm still hopeful that Hextall will find that can't-say-no deal that will be sweet for now and later. But I won't be fashioning neckties into a noose if he doesn't. Taking 2 great prospects tomorrow whose names don't rhyme with Joel or Mild will be excellent for the franchise, particularly if they are superior shooters. Maybe Ron is gearing up for some Christmas-on-June-23 action, and if we've been extra good this season, Santa Ron just might ship MacDonald to somebody else's stocking.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I guess....present value/opportunity cost is something though.

If Foles doesnt play his stock goes down some, IMO...because SB52 was last year. He likely wont be worth what he was the in the last 3 months.

He doesn’t have to play another snap this year & will still carry hype into the offseason. The NFL is desperate for QB’s & most people already seemingly forgotten how average he was before those two games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
in general, its just time to move on from the roster spot for you? If Voracek was dealt and simmonds was 2nd line RW...is 4y x 6m an issue for you?
If you look at my history, I am very anti 30 signing year olds. I believe they carry lots of risk especially guys in the middle 6.

If Simmonds had 2/3 years more on his draft making what he makes, then I don't trade him. But re-signing a 31 year old to big money and term is a bad move. Add in that he has already #3 at RW, then it's a no brainer to me to move him.

It's just separating the mind from the heart. Love Simmonds the player and person. But this year we saw how a declining Simmonds could look. And despite the goals, it wasn't pretty.

Unless guys are elite, I look to avoid re-signing guys for their 30-36 year old seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad