2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
And again, he's 37 with a sizeable contract. Scary.
I am completely confused about this fear of spending capspace. The Flyers have 22 million in space this summer and another 21 next year to spend. They can absolutely waste some and it will have zero effect on keeping the young core together. Anything 4 years or less wont have any effect going forward until Giroux and Couturier are up.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Someone with a sub can confirm it but Michael Russo (guy who initially reported Simmonds potentially being moved) said Simmonds isn’t really on Minnesota’s radar. Either due to a lack of interest or that Minnesota is possibly one of the teams on his no trade list.

There’s no mention of Simmonds from Russo that I can find since the original article. Maybe it was a radio hit.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am completely confused about this fear of spending capspace. The Flyers have 22 million in space this summer and another 21 next year to spend. They can absolutely waste some and it will have zero effect on keeping the young core together. Anything 4 years or less wont have any effect going forward until Giroux and Couturier are up.

Really? After what we went through with Homer? It's perfectly natural for people to be gunshy about hamstringing ourselves with wasted cap dollars. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it (I personally don't think now is the time to do very much, but I admit there is wiggle room the next few years as you mentioned), but it's normal that our fanbase would be hesitant about taking it away when we had to work so hard to earn the breathing room in the first place.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Really? After what we went through with Homer? It's perfectly natural for people to be gunshy about hamstringing ourselves with wasted cap dollars. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it (I personally don't think now is the time to do very much, but I admit there is wiggle room the next few years as you mentioned), but it's normal that our fanbase would be hesitant about taking it away when we had to work so hard to earn the breathing room in the first place.
The past is the past though. This is new management with a new plan to build internally which means a steady supply of cheap contracts.

Here’s the thing that gets me: this team made the playoffs last year on the last weekend of the season with mutilple players having career years. If you don’t add more talent, they could very well miss the playoffs let alone advance a round. The young players could take a step forward but those having career years could take a step back making it pretty much even. And outside of Simmonds, this team was relatively injury free for the second year in a row.

Oh and the terrible coaching staff who’s regular season strategy is get to overtime is back in full. If Meltzer is right that Hextall plans to sit on his hands this weekend and add a couple of midlevel guys in free agency, my money would be on the Flyers missing the playoffs next year as opposed to actually winning a round in the playoffs.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don’t think he holds that much value honestly. Teams know he is at the end of his career. Also his wife again plays a major part of where he goes too. Sens looking for any high pick for him I just move on then. Circle back and see if the price comes down if he isn’t moved. Not a pressing need to trade for him.

I believe that Anderson has more value to the Senators than his numbers would indicate. Last season was awful for him, but the whole team stank. Anderson was a huge part of the Senators being a goal away from the SC finals the year before.

Beyond the on-ice value, my outsider opinion is that the Anderson story is huge in Ottawa. I doubt that Dorion or Melnyk would deal him for whatever they could get given the emotional aspect of Anderson's tenure. That would toss kerosene on the smolder of fan disenchantment over the latest crises.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I had a Flyers dream last night... which is really weird because I only have dreams like once every couple of months and it’s never hockey related.

Elliott somehow left here and went to the Flames. Then we had a draft party at some sports bar/restaurant for people on this board, but it was really crowded and a couple people brought air horns, but we couldn’t figure out who. We drafted a defemsemen with our first pick and everyone was freaking out, which started a fire.

Then I woke up.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Also worth noting that Friedman did say Simmonds no trade list was due last week. I love meltzer but I believe he could be moved still.

Also, one player I think could be moved in a deal that hasn’t been mentioned. Scott Laughton. I think he could be valued by some GMs and we use him in a packaged type deal along with other assets.

I have the same feeling about Laughton, he's an expendable asset that still has some pedigree, so he could be used as sweetener in a trade. I'm also fine with him being back for next season too.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So after ur great sixers prediction who do u like today for the flyers ? :)

I don’t know about a prediction, but clearly it was a sign the universe will let @Magua have his Swede after also picking up an additional pick worth way too much for the move.

Otherwise I say we replace him with Spotted Dick’s Draft Guide next year. Is SD aware of the internet fame, @Captain Dave Poulin?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don’t know about a prediction, but clearly it was a sign the universe will let @Magua have his Swede after also picking up an additional pick worth way too much for the move.

Otherwise I say we replace him with Spotted Dick’s Draft Guide next year. Is SD aware of the internet fame, @Captain Dave Poulin?

I don't know, J - he's really, really dumb.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
See I don't see Laughton traded at all. We lack centers for the roster right now. Trading one who has been a C, or can play there when an injury occurs makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
See I don't see Laughton traded at all. We lack centers for the roster right now. Trading one who has been a C, or can play there when an injury occurs makes no sense to me.

Laughton as part of a package for Coyle could make some sense.

Reactions: hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just don't see Hextall going after a guy who is a UFA in 2 years.

Well, arent we talking about signing a UFA guy to a 2-3 year deal to replace Filppula and bridge the gap to Frost?

Id take a prime Coyle over Bozak, Nash, Ryan, etc.

It comes down to being comfortable with parting with Laughton. Im hesitant but id take the risk.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The past is the past though. This is new management with a new plan to build internally which means a steady supply of cheap contracts.

Here’s the thing that gets me: this team made the playoffs last year on the last weekend of the season with mutilple players having career years. If you don’t add more talent, they could very well miss the playoffs let alone advance a round. The young players could take a step forward but those having career years could take a step back making it pretty much even. And outside of Simmonds, this team was relatively injury free for the second year in a row.

They had 98 points, most years 95 points guarantee a playoff spot.
The "they were carried by a few players having career years" simply isn't true.

Giroux - pp/60 - 2017-18: 2.73; 2011-16 (5 year average): 1.95
Giroux had a career year, and it's probably unsustainable at 30, if his scoring falls back to his pre-injury level he'll drop from 55 to 39 at 5x5.
His power play scoring rate was 6.20, below his 5 year rate 2011-2016 of 7.16.
So figure he's likely to decline from 100 to 80 points.

Voracek - pp/60 - 2017-18: 1.96, 5 previous seasons 1.78. Power play 6.93 v 5.58.
While Voracek was above his 5 year average, it wasn't some huge jump and may simply have reflected better teammates.
2016-17: 1.43; 2015-16: 1.61; 2014-15: 2.13; 2013-14: 1.93, 2012-13: 2.55. As team talented declined, so did his scoring during his "peak years."

Couts - pp/60 - 2017-18: 2.05, 2 previous seasons 1.79. Power play 3.28 v 1.01
Not a big jump for a guy just entering his prime, and his power play scoring could jump if he stays on PP1 all season.

Ghost - pp/60 - 2017-18: 1.12; 2015-16: 1.20. Power play 6.85 v 4.78.
Ghost got his scoring back to pre-injury levels, the power play jump probably just reflects experience.

So realistically the only player who had a "career year" who can be expected to regress was Giroux, and that was only at 5x5.
Couts scoring at 5x5 may decline if his minutes are slightly reduced, but could rise on the power play.

On the other hand, it's also realistic to expect far more from Patrick, Lindblom, TK, Provorov, Sanheim and maybe Laughton if he moves to LW.
Add Myers, NAK and eventually Vorobyev as potential contributors.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well, arent we talking about signing a UFA guy to a 2-3 year deal to replace Filppula and bridge the gap to Frost?

Id take a prime Coyle over Bozak, Nash, Ryan, etc.

It comes down to being comfortable with parting with Laughton. Im hesitant but id take the risk.
Free agents are going to be very overpaid this year, even the midlevel one, with the big cap jump. The only guys Hextall is going to be getting bargains on with short term are the over-the-hill guys. Losing Laughton is worth the risk.

Unless Hextall plans on keeping all guys in the AHL for 2-3 years, Laughton probably won’t be here much longer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
NO :madfire:

Laughton stays.

Forever.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events