Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Before this trade I would have had more interest in him. However, the cost to acquire him would be too expensive, especially since Domi most likely would have been a key piece in a trade for him. He just added a 20 goal scorer, who plays a softer game. I think we need to add a non-stop motor puck hound that can finish. Nelson is not that.
and that could be Tyler Johnson. What't the cost to get him? Guessing POJ would need to be part of the package.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
?? Dvorak and Richardson were the only two C's with > 50% FO's last year.

As for incoming C's: Kruger's 17/18 % is higher than Richardson's. Galchenyuk’s is sub 50%.
And, returning C's: Stepan, Cousins and Strome need a FO coach.

Reactions: doaner

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
There isn’t a 20g I like less. :)
Lmao, he can be an enigma but with a playmaker he can really bury them. Doesn't have the consistent compete level everyone wants but there's always value in the production.
Before this trade I would have had more interest in him. However, the cost to acquire him would be too expensive, especially since Domi most likely would have been a key piece in a trade for him. He just added a 20 goal scorer, who plays a softer game. I think we need to add a non-stop motor puck hound that can finish. Nelson is not that.
That makes sense, that's why I came here was wondering if Chayka was looking to add more or if this was the move.
What about Clutterbuck?
I wouldn't move him, most Islander fans would. Our issue is there is a lot of talent in our forward group but not a lot of defensive forwards so that's why Cizikas and Clutterbuck got the contracts they got. They're hounds out there and excellent PKers and were put in defensive zones exclusively it felt like. But they're contracts are rough, Zeeker is overpaid by a few hundred thousand (not the worst thing in the world but with Lee getting a new contract soon you start to count your dollars going forward) and Cal has too much term. Groin injury every year limits him.

That's the scoop, they earned their contracts technically with their motors and what they bring but having both on the 4th line is silly. I wouldn't move them because of the team makeup but most Islander fans would.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We were desperate for C depth last year with Dvorak’s development hitting a pause and Strome needing more time to figure out the pro game (it being his first year as a pro and all).

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. We needed depth at C and we’ve been talking for about 5 years now about prioritizing this position even if it meant down the road you have to play C’s as wingers. We finally pulled the trigger on giving this organization some desperately needed depth at C. It comes at a high price but I wasn’t married to Domi as a top line player. To me he was a very good second line player who I’m going to miss because I loved his passion and energy when he was engaged. He will be loved in Montreal.

Do you think Dvorak's development hit a pause? We added Stepan, so naturally he was not going to be paired with similar players as in his previous year here, but I don't think his stats and the possession metrics indicate a paused development at all.

Every player also needed some time with the system and Dvorak maybe took a little longer and/or was subjected to a share of linemates who may not have been up to par on the system either. Stepan was probably the most vilified C on this board over the first 40 games, yet I was very satisfied with his play and I think most feel the same way. If anything, getting depth at C is more related to questions about Strome's development and upside moreso than Dvorak's, even with Dvorak's lower ceiling.

One other random thought - with some of the suggestions on centering a deal around POJ and a 2nd round pick for TyJo - has anyone seen how POJ's brother Mathieu has really contributed at the AHL level? While no two players are alike, that tells me that the maturation of his brother bodes well for PO to be a very talented player in his own right one he matures. Mathieu would seem to be a bottom 6 type of RW who sees a good amount of time in the NHL - maybe 4-8 years, and maybe not all with Tampa. When a family member in PO is valued 80+ players ahead of the drafted range where his brother was taken, that makes me think that his upside is far greater than what we have thought, if Mathieu's development is any indication of where PO may be. I actually think that trading PO is too much of a risk to take on at this time.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do you think Dvorak's development hit a pause? We added Stepan, so naturally he was not going to be paired with similar players as in his previous year here, but I don't think his stats and the possession metrics indicate a paused development at all.

Every player also needed some time with the system and Dvorak maybe took a little longer and/or was subjected to a share of linemates who may not have been up to par on the system either. Stepan was probably the most vilified C on this board over the first 40 games, yet I was very satisfied with his play and I think most feel the same way. If anything, getting depth at C is more related to questions about Strome's development and upside moreso than Dvorak's, even with Dvorak's lower ceiling.

One other random thought - with some of the suggestions on centering a deal around POJ and a 2nd round pick for TyJo - has anyone seen how POJ's brother Mathieu has really contributed at the AHL level? While no two players are alike, that tells me that the maturation of his brother bodes well for PO to be a very talented player in his own right one he matures. Mathieu would seem to be a bottom 6 type of RW who sees a good amount of time in the NHL - maybe 4-8 years, and maybe not all with Tampa. When a family member in PO is valued 80+ players ahead of the drafted range where his brother was taken, that makes me think that his upside is far greater than what we have thought, if Mathieu's development is any indication of where PO may be. I actually think that trading PO is too much of a risk to take on at this time.
Development isn’t always smooth. Sometimes players take a step sideways before taking a step forward. With Dvorak I don’t think he played badly. He just wasn’t ready to yet be the 2C that he was being asked to be. We now have three options for that 2C role. That’s huge for proper slotting of everyone else.

I’m all for holding onto POJ. His timeline to be a pro corresponds nicely with the contracts currently on the books with Goligoski, Demers, etc. I’m intrigued on who he’s going to be as a pro.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I can see it going two ways for Dvorak to start next year:
1. Strome makes the team as 3C and Dvorak plays wing and is pushed to work on his offensive game/nose for the net. He's got the shot but needs to consistently get in scoring areas. He can practice that at wing better and can contribute at C on the PK or for late game match up reasons like a defensive replacement in baseball.
2. Dvorak plays 3C behind Galchenyuk and has to break down the door from the lower lines.

I'd be very surprised if Dvorak was getting purely 2nd line center minutes without a few prove it months. He sort of already lost that job when the Stickybois were playing 17 minutes a game the last two months anyway.

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So someone's gotta go. What young winger is in the same situation as Strome?

Or on D, a decent RD PP option would be Julius Honka, but I don't know how interested Dallas would be in that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think you way under utilize Dvorak's talent if you put him at wing.

But someone is getting underutilized right?
Galchenyuk almost certainly gets a look at C. He would have to be putrid in preseason for that not to happen.
Strome I think either makes the team as the 3C or busts. I suppose they could try the Strome at wing again thing but he's really just not a wing and his game doesn't suit it.
Playing at 4C underutilizes Dvorak more than playing at 2l or 3l wing would.

This is just going to take a couple three months to shake itself out. Maybe even the whole year as pairs of players with chemistry are found.

Dvorak is just that kinda player who you'd say to, hey Christian go do that thing. He'll put the work in and do what he has to. Whether that's the right thing for his career or not I don't think would be the primary thought through Tocchet's head with substantial pressure on him to come out at least .500 to start the season.

I also don't think 3 months of playing wing would really hurt him all that much anyway even if it wasn't ideal.

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think it hurts Dvo, I think it hurts the Coyotes. It'd be like putting Hanzal (to a lesser degree) on the wing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Strome needs to play center. Galchenyuk is going to play center. Dvorak and Galchenyuk are the options to slide. I'm high on Kruger's chances to rebound, but that isn't a sure thing. In that case Dvorak probably gets saddled as the defensive center, and you let Stepan, Galchenyuk, and Strome play to their strengths. Given the way Tocchett handed ice time to Richardson's crew, I'm not sure Dvo is wasted in that role either.

I'd be thrilled to see Dvo ride shotgun to one of those other guys, too. He's well-rounded, so I don't see him being wasted no matter where you line him up. Responsible winger to Strome or Alex is a fine use, imo.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Well, somebody had to light a fire under Dvo's butt. This should do it. Dvo fights to remain a 2C and Chucky plays wing. If all goes well.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well, somebody had to light a fire under Dvo's butt. This should do it.

It couldn't hurt, competition and all. And I'm generally in favor of more centers over fewer.

But I'm not terribly worried about Dvorak's lack of offensive growth until next summer if that's still the case. Still even them just a little concerned.
2 way near 40 point C from a 2nd round pick? That's cash money.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So based on Chayka's comments that he sees Galchenyuk as a C, where do we stand?

Panik - Stepan - Keller
????? - Galchenyuk - Strome
Perlini - Dvorak - Fischer
Crouse - Kruger - Cousins

I think the LW can be Tkachuk, Zadina, or a UFA like JVR maybe?
Not JVR.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I think you way under utilize Dvorak's talent if you put him at wing.

Yep. Same is true for Strome and Stepan.

So you move Kruger to wing, try Chuckie at center, and rely on the backup plan if it fails. I like Kruger and all, not even mad about the Martinook trade, but let these f***ers fight it out and make a move if you have to. No gentlemen's game, let's compete.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Without setting my sights too high, adding Brodziak and Winnik rids the lineup of deadweight.

Panik - Stepan - Keller
Dvo - Galchenyuk - Fischer
Krueger- Brodziak- Cousins
Perlini - Strome - Winnik
Crouse

If Kruger isn't an NHL player, we've hedged our bet with two good defensive forwards who can also chip in 10-15 goals.

I'd love to add a better top six wing, but I'd guess we're still looking at the relative bargain bin.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So you move Kruger to wing, try Chuckie at center, and rely on the backup plan if it fails. I like Kruger and all, not even mad about the Martinook trade, but let these ****ers fight it out and make a move if you have to. No gentlemen's game, let's compete.
I'm bullish on Kruger's chance of bouncing back, but I'm not sure it's a given at all.

There seems to be a lot of angst over our sudden "glut" of centers when there's a lot of question marks for almost all of them. I'd add more.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad