Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I know the Coyotes will try Galcheyuk at center, but I think he will end up at RW with Strome.

(TBD) - Strome - Galcheyuk

it does suck that Domi would have been the perfect linesmate. I wonder if Brady could jump right into the NHL ? If Crouse could fit on the line?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Galchenyuk is not a great skater. And is much more a goal scorer than a playmaker. Two big reasons why Montreal didn’t consider him a C.

Enter Dawn Braid...... :D

Seriously... many Habs fans say it was after he got hurt that they stopped considering him as a C. Wonder if his rehab wasn’t as robust as it could have been?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I still think another fairly major move is coming. So I went back and looked at Chayka's words post-deadline. Obviously, things can change, but here's what he said at the time:

"We got close on a few things and certainly laid the groundwork for future discussions," Chayka said. "A lot of our discussions we'll pick back up in the off-season ... We're looking to be aggressive here to continue and improve our group. We think we've got a good young nucleus, but we've got to add to it and grow it the right way ... At the end of the season we'll sit down and take a hard look at what we need to add and improve upon, but right now we have maximum flexibility and we have significant assets in order to go out and make some significant moves. That's my goal and I'm going to be aggressive with it."

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Still interested in who he was envisioning for the 27 yo age group, was that a potential ROR trade until he acquired more center depth or was there someone else?

Ideally I wouldn't really feel satisfied with the existing roster without at least one more middle 6 winger, preferably RW. Obviously the team needs a few more defensive depth pieces as well.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What other players required Tocchet mentoring to turn their season around? Demers? Perlini? Who else?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Still interested in who he was envisioning for the 27 yo age group, was that a potential ROR trade until he acquired more center depth or was there someone else?

Ideally I wouldn't really feel satisfied with the existing roster without at least one more middle 6 winger, preferably RW. Obviously the team needs a few more defensive depth pieces as well.

Going by Tocchet's wishlist, I think we've checked one of the three boxes. Here's how he prioritized them:

1) top 6 center - done (Galchenyuk)
2) No. 5 RD
3) scoring winger

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Was reading Morgan's latest article on the Galchenyuk/Domi trade and this caught my attention.

Morgan: Alex Galchenyuk trade offers immense upside for Coyotes

The Coyotes hope they have done that by acquiring Galchenyuk to add to the current center options of Derek Stepan, Christian Dvorak, Dylan Strome, Marcus Kruger and Nick Cousins. Clearly, all six of those players cannot play center at the same time, but they could in situations that play to their strengths. It’s what Chayka likes to call “optionality.”
“It’s one of my favorite buzzwords because there is value in it,” he said. “A lot of people view this center-wing thing as a negative. I view it as a positive if we have versatility. If you have flexibility and malleability to your roster, it allows the coach a lot of options. You see it in the NFL and NBA; the ability to guard and play multiple positions is valuable. We want to play fast so having guys who can play multiple positions makes them more interchangeable.”

Tocchet cautioned against extreme versions of that approach.

“You’ve got to be careful not to bounce people around and prevent them from getting comfortable,” he said. “Some players like it and some don’t, but there are situations where having two centers on a line can be helpful, face-offs, righties, lefties, and maybe the NHL is going more toward a system like that.”

The Coyotes were weighing other options at the center position, which was their top priority this offseason. There were other players rumored to be available, Buffalo’s Ryan O’Reilly among them, but Galchenyuk $4.9 million cap hit over the next two seasons, and the asking price of just one player vs. multiple assets led Chayka to the belief that this was the best deal available.

Article goes on to mention the trade was tough for Chayka because he'd struck up a close friendship with Domi.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd still have kick -the-tires interest. But I doubt I'd like the price tag. Still need to add a legitimate NHL forward, imo. Doesn't have to be as good as Skinner, but someone you can rely on for production.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Another angle on the Galchenyuk trade is that teams looking for a center in return for their player (ROR?) may look at a package with Alex more favourably than one around Domi. Especially if you can rehab his value a bit this season.
So maybe at the deadline a ROR trade is possible built around him, where it would never be possible built around Domi even if he bounced back to 15-20 goal range.
Just an example. But I'd imagine around the league Galchenyuk is perceived to have higher value- particularly if you can first demonstrate minimal ability to play center.
So it perhaps leaves you with more options than hanging on to Domi who had to go now anyway.

Reactions: Grimes

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sold on Panik sustaining last year’s play. I think he’s a 30-point guy. Boedker could be too, but I think he could also hit 50. I think Boedker can more easily flip between either wing too.

Now, I think Hagelin and Panik are pretty similar from an offensive standpoint. But Hagelin is an upgrade over Panik in the other areas of the game. His familiarity with Tocchet’s system is a nice little bonus.

???? Galchenyuk Keller
Perlini Stepan ???? (Zadina?)
Hagelin Strome Fischer
Crouse Dvorak Cousins

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You still have holes at forward after trading Panik. We need to find someone in a cap crunch. Stl has Sobotka and Berglund. Hagelin is fine. Need to get someone for picks and this is the best time of year to do it. Picks are never worth as much as they are on the floor.

Panik probably won't replicate last year, but he's a reliable veteran forward with some streaky offense. I'm not deadset against dealing him by any means, but we need more Paniks. So dealing him for a minor upgrade when you could add Hagelin for a pick seems pointless to me. We're still in the same boat.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think one Panik or Hagelin is more than enough (slot either into 3LW in the above lineup). But I think the other forward addition needs to be more high end.

Has Chayka said anything about free agency? There are a few intriguing UFAs that I’d try to get the rights to.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Was more interested in Boedker before the Galchenyuk trade. Now I'd love to duplicate Panik. Can we get Zack Smith for picks and prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad