Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You've got a guy who scored 30 from the center. Say what you will about his faceoffs or positioning, top tier C's are so rare that I think you'd be an idiot not to give that an extended look and see what he can do with the chance.

I think history says he ends up back on wing if we're healthy, but we'd be stupid not to try it first.

I also don't see any problem with shifting a guy like Dvo to wing when everyone is healthy. And again, everyone is rarely healthy. Being able to shift a guy like Galchenyuk to C in an injury situation is hugely preferable to our other options.

I get being disappointed by trading the very likeable Max, but it's impossible for me not to look at this trade as a positive.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have agreed with your last dozen posts or so.:laugh:

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Given the internal budget I dont know if the team can afford aquiring another long term middle 6 forward, especially with OEL and possibly Hammer's new contract kicking in next season. I know his name has been mentioned here before but, if we draft Tkachuk or Walhstorm, I wouldn't mind picking up a stop gap like Vanek. Maybe get a pick for him at the deadline.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Given the internal budget I dont know if the team can afford aquiring another long term middle 6 forward, especially with OEL and possibly Hammer's new contract kicking in next season. I know his name has been mentioned here before but, if we draft Tkachuk or Walhstorm, I wouldn't mind picking up a stop gap like Vanek. Maybe get a pick for him at the deadline.

We're already paying OEL his new contract if you consider his current cap hit and then add the dead money (Bolland, Smith, Rib).

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We're already paying OEL his new contract if you consider his current cap hit and then add the dead money (Bolland, Smith, Rib).
Yup and I think the dead money will actually exceed OEL's raise. He's making 7M this year. Also Demers salary drops by 700k next year and Stepans drops by 1m. Without losing any roster players and not including OELs raise, salary expenditures will drop by roughly 3m. (Figure that we still have to pay Bolland 1m after insurance, and Raanta will earn 1.25m more next season)

And the following season Riberio's 1.94M comes off the books.

Reactions: SniperHF

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I guess I was envisioning that as money for Perlini and Dvorack's contract.
I think it would be safe to assume that Kruger and Panik won't be back next year at their current salaries of 2.75m, and 2.8m. Should save about 3m there over their next contracts or their replacements. It's hard to speculate so far into the future but I don't think we really need to worry too much about our internal budget, the following year when Keller and Fischer are FA's Goose's deal drops by 1.8m and Raanta's by 1M. Hopefully, the team will be winning a lot more by then and ticket sales will be up.

Reactions: Jakey53

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I think it would be safe to assume that Kruger and Panik won't be back next year at their current salaries of 2.75m, and 2.8m. Should save about 3m there over their next contracts or their replacements. It's hard to speculate so far into the future but I don't think we really need to worry too much about our internal budget, the following year when Keller and Fischer are FA's Goose's deal drops by 1.8m and Raanta's by 1M. Hopefully, the team will be winning a lot more by then and ticket sales will be up.

Panik was .66 ppg since we acquired him last season. I don't think that is the type of player you expect to take a pay cut under 2.8m. Although like you mention, it's hard to predict the future. Chucky could take over his spot and most of his production by the end of the season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Panik hit a hot streak to end the season. Not counting on a repeat performance. He's a good complimentary player, and we need more players like him and fewer like Archibald and Rinaldo, but he was right place-right time to end the season. He'll continue to be a solid but unspectacular contributor who is streaky as all get out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Panik hit a hot streak to end the season. Not counting on a repeat performance. He's a good complimentary player, and we need more players like him and fewer like Archibald and Rinaldo, but he was right place-right time to end the season. He'll continue to be a solid but unspectacular contributor who is streaky as all get out.
Totally agree. If he’s in our top nine, he needs to be easily the weakest link in the top nine. Otherwise, we’re going to lose more than we win.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My latest mock lineup:

To Pittsburgh
- Josh Archibald
- 2019 4th

To Arizona
- Carl Hagelin (25% retained), brings cap hit to $3M

We've already had talks with Pittsburgh about Domi, so maybe that can help start discussions on another deal. This proposal helps the cap-crunched Pens save $3 million cap space, assuming they bury Archibald in the minors. I like Archibald for the Coyotes, but he's a spare part, and he's owned NHL money so he's too expensive to send to Tucson. For the Coyotes, we get a quick, vet wing who already knows Tocchet's system. Chayka also said he wants to add a late-20s vet, so this checks that box as well.

To Dallas
- Dylan Strome

To Arizona
- Julius Honka

I can see this getting some heat, and maybe the final deal isn't 1-for-1, but if we want to play Galchenyuk at center, I don't see a spot for Strome. It's no secret Dallas needs some depth at forward, particularly center as right now they're running Seguin, Spezza, Faksa, Hanzal. One is lucky to have escaped a buyout and another is constantly injured. Strome could slot in as the 2C behind Seguin. For the Coyotes, we get a former high pick and a right-handed powerplay option to round out our top six. Bonus is that it brings another Finn to the lineup. Happy Raanta.

We also draft Zadina, whether it be at 5 overall or if we move up to 3rd.

Here's how we'd look:

Panik - Stepan - Keller
Perlini - Galchenyuk - Zadina (a lot of shoot first guys here, so maybe swap Keller and Zadina)
Hagelin - Dvorak - Fischer
Crouse - Kruger - Cousins

Ekman-Larsson - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Honka

I thought the first offseason move would bring some clarity to our lineup, but it really didn't. I'm sure I'll have another mock lineup tomorrow :)

rt

May 13, 2004
Strome for Honka would be a huge mistake. Strome still has the potential to be a 60pt center in the NHL. Honka was a train wreck at the Worlds.

Alex Galchenyuk is a winger just like Domi. There isn’t more of a reason to trade Strome than there was three days ago. He’s still critically important to the organization.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d like to hang onto Strome and see what he offers in a full year with the coyotes. If it’s bad, try and flip him at the deadline.
I agree. We waited this long on him so I don't see a need to deal him now. More C's the better and we are not sure how Galchenyuk will work out. I do get a sense that RT doesn't care for Strome, so you never know what happens.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome for Honka would be a huge mistake. Strome still has the potential to be a 60pt center in the NHL. Honka was a train wreck at the Worlds.

Alex Galchenyuk is a winger just like Domi. There isn’t more of a reason to trade Strome than there was three days ago. He’s still critically important to the organization.
If Strome can make the team and play solid, it would be a big boost for the team. I would like to see Galchenyuk play center before declaring him a winger. He thinks he is a C, he wants to play C, so maybe you are putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Alex Galchenyuk is a winger just like Domi.

I don't know. I watch a ton of Habs games and watched him dominant at center two seasons ago before he messed up his knee. I was baffled why he never got another look at C upon his return, particularly considering the other options they tried instead - guys like Paul Byron, Charles Hudon, JDLR. It's not like Galchenyuk would have been any worse. I suspect Claude Julien is a very stubborn coach where he's looking for perfect two-way centers. The Athletic had a piece that said Galchenyuk never went back to center because if he did and succeeded, both Bergevin and Julien would have egg on their faces. I hope for Montreal's sake that's not how they manage their roster. I'm pretty confident Galchenyuk will stay at center this season. Hell, look how long Tocchet played Domi at center.

rt

May 13, 2004
Let me rephrase: I think Galchenyuk is Strome insurance but also that Strome is Galchenyuk insurance. Both represent a coin-toss on whether they’ll be effective top six centers. I think it’s foolish to rely on either to get the job done. I think you have to have both. I feel pretty safe with both. Very uncomfortable with just one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad