Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
A pt. Per game at center prior to injury. I think we can safely say he can play center, as well as wing.
Wasn't his problem in Montreal that his FO% was poor and his play away from the puck needed tremendous amounts of work? Not saying he isn't capable but those are 2 pretty important aspects to being a center unless you're dropping mad points. I just don't see Chucky putting up 80, which if those things are true, makes him a somewhat poor, one dimensional center.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Wasn't his problem in Montreal that his FO% was poor and his play away from the puck needed tremendous amounts of work? Not saying he isn't capable but those are 2 pretty important aspects to being a center unless you're dropping mad points. I just don't see Chucky putting up 80, which if those things are true, makes him a somewhat poor, one dimensional center.
Those are HUGE aspects of the position and you're not giving him enough credit for either.

Edit: see Finch's post, page 8 in the Domi for Gal henyuk thread.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Random note on center depth. In one of Morgan's tweets he said Dauphin does not look like he'll be ready for camp.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Those are HUGE aspects of the position and you're not giving him enough credit for either.
Just so I'm clear, because I got a bit lost lol, not enough credit for how many points he can put up or for his faceoffs and work without the puck?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it.

I may not be, I didn't see a single Montreal game last year so I have zero reference. I'm fully going off memory of complaints from possibly poor sources.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Panik-Stepan-Keller
Chucky-Strome-Zadina
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer

Does look really good to me.
Still hope Chayka adds another top 6 forward - hopefully a scoring winger (guessing the Hoffman ship has sailed). I think Matty Perrault would be a great addition too (and would compliment Strome's style nicely).

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Still hope Chayka adds another top 6 forward - hopefully a scoring winger (guessing the Hoffman ship has sailed). I think Matty Perrault would be a great addition too (and would compliment Strome's style nicely).
Morgan has mentioned JVR on multiple occasions. I wouldn’t be surprised I’d we traded for his rights. Goligoski style. Although acquiring Galchenyuk, and his 4.9 cap hit, might’ve changed those plans.

Reactions: Mosby

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Morgan has mentioned JVR on multiple occasions. I wouldn’t be surprised I’d we traded for his rights. Goligoski style. Although acquiring Galchenyuk, and his 4.9 cap hit, might’ve changed those plans.

Galchenyuk's game is pretty similar to JVR's right now. He will need a new contract in two years. I don't want to be paying 12m a season for both Galchenyuk and JVR, unless Galchenyuk can become a top 6 center. However, we did get our W/C pivot, which is pretty nice, because now adding TyJo isn't as big of a need. It cost us a top 6 forward. Now we need to find a way to add another top 6 forward.

Galchenyuk-Stepan-Keller
X-Strome-Panik
Perlini-Dvo-Fischer
Crouse-Krugger-Cousins
Rinaldo, Archibald

On paper we improved. If we don't draft Zadina I think we help out a team who needs cap relief to make a splash at Kovy/Taveres/Kessel.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Do you think Domi is the better player? I think you guys just hosed Montreal.

Nearly identical points per game in their careers - I guess I thought that Galchenyuk had some knee injuries in the past, and his value took a tumble after that. Similar production + prior knee issues + being two years older + and this is my opinion, a worse defensive game, and that would indicate being lower in value. Guess I hadn't paid much attention to him.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
"Nearly identical points per game in their careers - I guess I thought that Galchenyuk had some knee injuries in the past, and his value took a tumble after that. Similar production + prior knee issues + being two years older + and this is my opinion, a worse defensive game, and that would indicate being lower in value. Guess I hadn't paid much attention to him."

Goal scoring is a premium though, and Galchenyuk does that better than Domi. I think he will dramatically help our PP. There are aspects to Domi's game I will miss though.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Galchenyuk's game is pretty similar to JVR's right now. He will need a new contract in two years. I don't want to be paying 12m a season for both Galchenyuk and JVR, unless Galchenyuk can become a top 6 center. However, we did get our W/C pivot, which is pretty nice, because now adding TyJo isn't as big of a need. It cost us a top 6 forward. Now we need to find a way to add another top 6 forward.

Galchenyuk-Stepan-Keller
X-Strome-Panik
Perlini-Dvo-Fischer
Crouse-Krugger-Cousins
Rinaldo, Archibald

On paper we improved. If we don't draft Zadina I think we help out a team who needs cap relief to make a splash at Kovy/Taveres/Kessel.
I agree with everything you are saying here. I was just pointing out that JVR is a name that Morgan has thrown around a few times.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
How can we get Pearson or Tofoli out of L.A? Or will one of them be moving when they inevitably add Skinner?

That's the type of winger I would look to get, a super Panik.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Losing Domi stings a lot less if zadina Falls to us. Have to wonder if Chayka and Marc Bergevin potentially discussed what position they were leaning towards at the draft. Maybbbbeew MB got JC to agree to the deal by saying they're going center or D.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't have Zadina much higher than Wahlstrom. Coin flip to me. One of them is sure to be there.

If we just add a couple more guys like Panik, it would give us the ability to shuffle people up and down when they are hot-cold and have NHL-wingers for all our centers to play with.

Just real NHL players. Not top line talent. Not fourth line tweeners. But legitimate NHL middling guys who could carve a spot out in anyone's line up.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad