Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Hughes showed me enough at the World Championships in the way of adaptability to make me comfortable with him. He plays one way in college, but he was able to change that up at the World's and still be effective. He likes to carry the puck and he likes to go around the world as much as possible, but I think he showed he doesn't have to play it that way to be effective.

Excellent to hear. I only got to watch parts of games. It's still so impressive that he was able to play in the WC and was able to make an impact. If I remember correctly, wasn't he moving around all the different pairings on the more blow out wins?

But Hughes is such a dynamic skater....he's in full attack mode all the time. Seems to fit the org style in a big way.

All 5 of the Dmen projected after Dahlin are offense first guys and seem to lack in the DZ, whether it's skill or will.

Agreed, I think he is a talent you don't pass up. If Zadina isn't there at 5 I pick him 100% of the time. I hope Chyaka doesn't put RT's system into the equation enough to pass on a player. That would be pretty poor asset management. However, in Wood's example I have no problem moving the player if they continually cannot adapt.

I think Dobson is the best in the defensive end, despite board play. Positionally he is outstanding. His skating and stride help him dart back to his end after pinching and his reach allows him to disrupt plays better than the other 3. I think Bouchard's defensive play is underrated too. He had to carry the Knights offensively the entire season, which put him in tight spots defensively. I do agree that these four players are more offensive orientated defensemen, I don't see any McAvoy's in the group for instance.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Craig says the pro scouts will meet early next week to finalize our game plan.

As we already knew, he mentions a top 6 or top 9 center is at the top of the list.

His own speculation, but he mentions ROR.

I really wish we could make an ROR deal work!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Craig says the pro scouts will meet early next week to finalize our game plan.

As we already knew, he mentions a top 6 or top 9 center is at the top of the list.

His own speculation, but he mentions ROR.

I really wish we could make an ROR deal work!

If I'm Buffalo I'd ask nothing less than two of three of the 5th OA, Chyrchrun, and Dvorak.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I suspect if we do a ROR deal, it's happening after July 1. Let the Sabres cover that $7.5 million signing bonus.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Ror is great, but I don't know that I want to pay the high cost it will likely take to get him. Strome Dvorak or Stepan would have to be going the other way right? No way we have one them as our 4th C , and shifting any to wing doesn't make sense.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I suspect if we do a ROR deal, it's happening after July 1. Let the Sabres cover that $7.5 million signing bonus.
I doubt they are trading him, I even more doubt they are paying someone to take him.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I have no idea why Buffalo would be trading him?? They aren't exactly stacked at the center position.
Confidence in Mittelstadt? But to your point who's their 2C? Middelstadt? Reinhardt? They have a very good 1-2 punch right now.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Confidence in Mittelstadt? But to your point who's their 2C? Middelstadt? Reinhardt? They have a very good 1-2 punch right now.
I can only guess Eichel doesn't want competition for number 1 minutes!!! Seriously though how do you trade a good two way almost 60 point average center in his prime already signed and expect a lesser player to pick up the slack??

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That would be great. 1m in real dollars this season, and then only 6m in real dollars each of the final four years. It prevents us from adding any of our 2018 draft picks to the deal, however. I guess we could base our selection at fifth overall on a deal in principal with Buffalo. Easier to include Domi if Zadina falls, for example. Easier to give up Strome if we draft Kotkaniemi. Same of POJ and Hughes. Unfortunately, with Domi and Strome both having what I expect to be artificially deflated trade value, we'd probably have to add all three of Domi, Strome and POJ together to get ROR.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And yet a Chayka and Tocchet can seemingly think of nothing else but adding a center. It’s come up invariably in every damned interview since the TDL.
Correct. Listening to RT 's April presser, I get a feeling they brought Strome up to showcase him. RT doesn't really talk highly of Strome like he does with Chychrun, Keller etc. Maybe that is why they are always talking about a C. Trading Strome now I believe would be a mistake before giving him a real good shot next year.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

May 13, 2004
Correct. Listening to RT 's April presser, I get a feeling they brought Strome up to showcase him. RT doesn't really talk highly of Strome like he does with Chychrun, Keller etc. Maybe that is why they are always talking about a C. Trading Strome now I believe would be a mistake before giving him a real good shot next year.
I agree. I think if we pick up ROR, Strome’s going the other way. I think it’ll be a mistake, too.

Maybe on July 1st we do Strome+POJ+CDTNL ‘19 1st/2nd + ‘20 1st/2nd? If we make the playoffs next year it’s ‘19 1st+’20 2nd - if we miss the playoffs it’s ‘19 2nd + ‘20 1st?

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree. I think if we pick up ROR, Strome’s going the other way. I think it’ll be a mistake, too.

Maybe on July 1st we do Strome+POJ+CDTNL ‘19 1st/2nd + ‘20 1st/2nd? If we make the playoffs next year it’s ‘19 1st+’20 2nd - if we miss the playoffs it’s ‘19 2nd + ‘20 1st?

That deal plus 5+55 for 3 (Zadina):

Domi-O’Reilly-Keller
Panik-Stepan-Zadina
Perlini-Dvorak-Fisch
Crouse-Kruger-Cuzns

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think if the staff has already soured on the kid, it won’t matter if he’s on the roster come training camp. He’s already got a negative mark by our coaching staff.

I don’t want to trade the kid, but if he brings back OReilly I’ll be a little less angry about it. Just depends on the add for ourselves.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd do Strome and Domi for ROR but I don't think Buffalo would. I wouldn't if I was Jason Botterill, but I don't know why he's considering a trade in the first place. I just gotta think another team can beat that offer.

Don't really want to trade Domi but kind of think something is inevitable given Friedman's comments about a "fresh start".

Subtracting Domi and Strome subtracts 2 players from an already weak top 6, but if we can add ROR and potentially Zadina...

Panik - Stepan - Keller
UFA - ROR - Zadina
Perlini - Dvorak - Fischer
Crouse - Kruger - Cousins

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Friedman just tweeted tgat Domi might be heading to Montreal with Galchenyuk part of the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad