Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Merkley is a top 50 puck mover in the NHL tomorrow. He is crazy elite offensively. He is the best passer in this draft. He does next level Karlsson stuff a lot. That graph shows me what I have seen whenever I see him play. He generates offense at an astonishing rate. I think the issues are very real though in terms of off-ice and effort wise. But I don't think you can say he isn't a good enough offensive d-man. He is substantially better offensively than the guys like Murphy and DeAngelo people would use to argue restraint on him. It is whether or not he ever gets it. If not he floats around as a PP guy that coaches hate still for a while in the NHL just because of his talent level.

Merkley is insanely young so I would keep him down another year and to build on his frame. But he thinks the game offensively already at an insane level, especially for a kid that won't be 18 until August.

For as much as I lament his defensive game and attitude, this is spot on.

He finds guys and anticipates plays with the puck unbelievably well for a 17 year old. Combined with how evasive he is with his skating he honestly can make plays no one else in this draft could IMO (Even Dahlin included).

I don’t like the Murphy or DeAngelo comparisons either, because he’s more talented than those guys offensively. But he’s even worse than them defensively. That’s why he’s so polarizing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean watch this and tell me he isn't an elite thinker.

Polarizing player for sure, but one I love watching play. If he puts it all together he is going to be a scary player. The guy talking has a harder stance on him for sure. But I cannot help but think if this guy were available with the Vegas pick he isn't worth the risk.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As far as attitude, is he lazy? Gets into trouble legally? Bad teammate? What is the "issue"? Is he a Josh Ho-Sang type?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I go back and forth on Merkley. I could rationalize using our second, 2nd round pick on him, but I can name a bunch of guys I like more towards the bottom of the first round/top of the second. The skill is really crazy and really tempting, but the lack of progress and desire to play the defensive game really scares me. I can forgive people who give a solid effort but just aren't successful defensively. I can also find hope in players who make improvements in areas of great weakness over the course of the year, even if they continue to struggle. The lack of improvement in his defensive game, however, is absolutely shocking. He goes into the year with everyone and their mom shouting about how it sucks and we see next to no improvement in it over the course of the year. For f***s sake, have a little pride. I thought he looked as bad at the end of the year as he did at the beginning. While we take the whole character angle a bit too far as an organization, I do not want the Wings drafting players who do not have any desire to get better. I see very little that shows me that Merkley wants to get better at hockey.

Now if you do take him, you need to do something radically, radically different with his development. Maybe sending him to develop in lower professional leagues in Europe would do him some good. He clearly needs to grow up and being around older guys may help in that regard. I haven't a clue whether the transfer agreements actually allow it or not.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
The thing I like about merkley in those videos is his ability to get pucks through from the point. He has good fakes, and an elite ability to change the angle of the puck

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

Nice game by Marchenko (#18) yesterday, though France isn't much of a challenge. Was hoping he might be available in the 3rd but don't think so if he keeps this up.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As far as attitude, is he lazy? Gets into trouble legally? Bad teammate? What is the "issue"? Is he a Josh Ho-Sang type?

In short, yes. I haven't heard anything regarding legal trouble, but the rest of it seems to be accurate. His tendency to jump in on offense, commit a turnover, and then quit on the defensive recovery would probably fall under the category of lazy. He's been known to let his emotions run high and make really dumb retaliatory actions; rumored to treat his teammates and coaches poorly. When I say rumored, I truly mean rumored; nobody has really been able to verify to what extent, if at all, this is true. He has had public spats with his coaches that ended up getting him kicked to the locker room during a game, or sat as a healthy scratch. A lot of it sounds like he just needs to grow up mentally and take responsibility for his actions and himself. If he does that, then there's no doubt in my mind he will be one of the ten best players to come out of this draft.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
That goal is pretty sick. For some reason I thought he was smaller. You could be onto something here, Chad.
I don’t know why scouting reports say he’s small, 5’11 183 isn’t small. I think we have our late riser of the draft.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I don’t know why scouting reports say he’s small, 5’11 183 isn’t small. I think we have our late riser of the draft.
He's not tiny but smaller than average, close to Boqvist as the video shows. Probably quite similar to Tatar back in 2009.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
With three picks between 27-36 I would easily use a pick on merkley
Yeah I would agree with this. We are one of the least skilled teams in the league. We have a bunch of draft picks so it is the perfect time to take some risks on skilled players. If he ends up having Athanasiou like "issues" but is skilled there will certainly be a market for him via trade.

I'm fine if ultimately a skilled guy like Merkley needs to be moved/released due to attitude issues; we already have an over abundance of hard working pluggers. Add some skill and hope you end up with enough talent to actually become competitive.

Merkley seems like a worthwhile risk IMO.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Well, if he was on a 1st place team and just coasting through games that would be one thing. But his team sucks and a lot of that is because of him and how he plays. Not the biggest fan of the plus/minus stat, but the kid is a -70 over the last 2 seasons for a reason.
Holy shit -70. That's nothing to scoff at, serious red flag.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Holy **** -70. That's nothing to scoff at, serious red flag.

I mean, you almost have to be trying to do that.

However, how is his team beyond him? Is everyone else huge minuses too because the team is just a very weak roster or is his -70 notably bad compared to all else?

I mean, if a team like Eastern Michigan were to play Alabama in football, Everyone on Eastern's team would have god awful numbers because Alabama would drop 70 on them.

So is it a case of an outgunned and weak roster? Quick glance at Guelph's stats kind of indicate this. Merkley has worse +/-, but damn near the entire team is pretty heavily minus. He needs to get better defensively, undoubtedly, but while -70 grabs ya, he's on a pretty clearly undertalented team.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Plus-minus always reminds me of Connor Brown (TOR) who was a -72 in his draft year. But like Merkley he was also their top scorer, so I would say in junior it's often a result of big role + poor team and/or goalie.

Not trying to say that he doesn't have problems playing defense, it's pretty obvious that those exist.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
God willing, we package 33 or 36 with VGK's pick to move up.

... As long as it gets us up under 20, that is.

No way Jose

That is a move you do three years from now when you have a ton of high end talent and good depth

We need prospects and lots of them

Very doubtful the guy at 19 will be as good as 27 plus 33 plus 36 combind

Reactions: Oddbob

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean, you almost have to be trying to do that.

However, how is his team beyond him? Is everyone else huge minuses too because the team is just a very weak roster or is his -70 notably bad compared to all else?

I mean, if a team like Eastern Michigan were to play Alabama in football, Everyone on Eastern's team would have god awful numbers because Alabama would drop 70 on them.

So is it a case of an outgunned and weak roster? Quick glance at Guelph's stats kind of indicate this. Merkley has worse +/-, but damn near the entire team is pretty heavily minus. He needs to get better defensively, undoubtedly, but while -70 grabs ya, he's on a pretty clearly undertalented team.

His team is not good, but his team would probably be a lot better if he wasn't only concerned with playing at one end of the ice. I mean he is also over a PPG in this same time frame where he is -70. So he has to be on the ice for a lot of the goals his team scores.

Samorukov is probably the 2nd best D on that team, and he was a -10 this year compared to Merkley who was a -29. Last year Samorukov was a -24 and Merkley was a -41.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No way Jose

That is a move you do three years from now when you have a ton of high end talent and good depth

We need prospects and lots of them

Very doubtful the guy at 19 will be as good as 27 plus 33 plus 36 combind

It really boils down to where the scouting team sees the big drop off in talent. If you think that your top 15 players are miles ahead of the next group, and you can snag one in the mid to late teens, you have to do it, right? We have a lot of middling prospects/former prospects that are just taking up space, and some that we just wish weren't here anymore. I don't think getting bodies for the sake of getting bodies is necessarily the right move, I think it's all about maximizing your shot at chances of turning out good NHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad