Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Merkley scares me. It's not that he can't play defense, because I'm sure he can learn. It's that he is supposedly having major personal/discipline type issues in Guelph. Like he's been scratched a couple of times, and I guess those were fairly hush-hush team suspensions for his behavior and attitude.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Merkley seems like the kind of prospect that I'd be fine with using the extra 2nd rounder on, but that I'd be ok with somebody else taking before that pick rolls around.

Plenty of talent, but definite red flags.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Merkley scares me. It's not that he can't play defense, because I'm sure he can learn. It's that he is supposedly having major personal/discipline type issues in Guelph. Like he's been scratched a couple of times, and I guess those were fairly hush-hush team suspensions for his behavior and attitude.

He could probably defend well if he wanted to. But go over to the Guelph board and they all say the same thing, guy gives up on plays and is only concerned with playing in the offensive zone. From what I've heard he hasn't had a coach yet that has got him to play defense, and he has clashed with every coach he's had so far.

I think part of why he is scratched is attitude, and part is he doesn't do what he is asked to do (defend). Amazing talent, but I'm not sure anyone is going to get through to him at this point.

Jul 30, 2005
He could probably defend well if he wanted to. But go over to the Guelph board and they all say the same thing, guy gives up on plays and is only concerned with playing in the offensive zone. From what I've heard he hasn't had a coach yet that has got him to play defense, and he has clashed with every coach he's had so far.

I think part of why he is scratched is attitude, and part is he doesn't do what he is asked to do (defend). Amazing talent, but I'm not sure anyone is going to get through to him at this point.
I can't remember where I read it now, but I saw a write-up that claimed his biggest problem is that he cannot get along with his teammates at all. Like I guess there's one player he refuses to pass to, ever. I find it sort of remarkable that Guelph has tolerated him this much. They're really bending over backwards to try to save his draft position.

I've been critical of the Wings' focus on character before, but if it keeps them from drafting Merkley in the first two rounds it'll have done some good.

Reactions: NickH8

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
If it comes down to it would you guys prefer Bouchard or Dobson? I lean Bouchard...bomb of a shot and elite passing. What are the chances he improves his skating dramatically given that’s not his forte?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If it comes down to it would you guys prefer Bouchard or Dobson? I lean Bouchard...bomb of a shot and elite passing. What are the chances he improves his skating dramatically given that’s not his forte?
I like Bouchard for the same reasons and don't think his skating is something that will hinder him as an effective NHL D man.
He's a smart player and I don't think he's a bad skater at all. He's a righty (e: I know they both are)with a great shot and I think Rasmussen and him on a PP would be golden, hell let Cholowski do the skating on a pairing. :thumbu:

If we draft Dobson, that's just fine too.

Jul 30, 2005
First of all, I would be really happy to draft either of those guys. That said, Bouchard. I know this is totally unfair to Bouchard to make this comparison, but he has Lidstrom-level patience and vision in the offensive zone. He's got that ice water in his veins quality that I love to see in a defenseman.

You do have to balance that out with the fact that Bouchard is one of the older players in this draft class. The margin between Boqvist and Bouchard, for example, is tough to determine, because one is very young and the other is old for the class.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think either one would be great. But I have Dobson with a slight edge.

He is pretty raw and took a huge step forward this year. He’s very thin still, but once he gains some weight I think he will be your prototypical all situations type of guy. Really can see him being a Pieterangelo type once he fills out. Very good skater for his size.

Bouchard would be great too. Not sure he will be a top pairing guy as a pro unless he improves his skating. So I’m a little more comfortable with Dobson. Bouchard might be the better PP guy, while Dobson is the better ES guy. So it kind of just depends what you are looking for.

If both hit their potential, it would be like asking a few years ago would you rather have Alex Pieterangelo or John Carlson (prior to this huge breakout season).

Last edited:
Reactions: Orthodox Caveman

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
One thing that is very concerning about the way the Wings are drafting is the fact it’s a speed league over size. The Golden Knights showed this as they swept the LAK in 4 games. The LAK couldn’t generate any offense and lost every single puck battle. The Knights are fast and dominated nearly every shift. 2015 1st rounder Evgeni Svechnikov is one example of a draft pick that is not working out. He is full of charector, but he can’t play. He’s too slow to be effective. Size and speed is one thing, tho players that fit the criteria are a dime a dozen. It’s frustrating to know that this new philosophy can set us back so far. Let’s hope for a more speed and skill type draft.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
One thing that is very concerning about the way the Wings are drafting is the fact it’s a speed league over size.

They have two of the fastest players on the league. Mantha isn't a slouch, either. Just because one late, first round pick isn't working out doesn't mean their entire draft philosophy should be called into question.

You must have been a fan of watching Tatar skate into the zone and get smeared out along the boards, only to turn the puck immediately over. The fact he sat against LA tells you everything you need to know.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Talented prospect whose attitude and behavior may get in the way of him becoming a good player in the NHL? Detroit has made this mistake before...

dynamic_resize

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Dobson. He is the entire package. Bouchard has to work on hi skating and defensive game. Dobson has to work on gaining muscle.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Talented prospect whose attitude and behavior may get in the way of him becoming a good player in the NHL? Detroit has made this mistake before...

http://storage-cube.quebecormedia.com/v1/dynamic_resize?quality=75&size=1500x1500&src=http%3A%2F%2Fstorage-cube.quebecormedia.com%2Fv1%2Fthn_prod%2Fthe_hockey_news%2Fb5f0277c-3786-4e68-96f5-570949e29a9b%2F52303055.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

What mistake are you talking about?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

dynamic_resize

An undrafted free agent who helped land Mathieu Schneider was a mistake? I dont think I would draft Merkley if I were the wings depending on who else is available but because they signed Avery as a free agent isnt the reason

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Merkley seems like the kind of prospect that I'd be fine with using the extra 2nd rounder on, but that I'd be ok with somebody else taking before that pick rolls around.

Plenty of talent, but definite red flags.

Someone will grab him with a late first. The whole situation sorta reminds me of Ho-Sang.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

dynamic_resize

I would go with Athanasiou as the lesson on taking a really talented guy with reported attitude issues that seems to still be a problem years later.

But Merkley has actual superstar ability on a game by game basis. If he is there at the Vegas pick (I expect him to be gone) we should pull the trigger. He is in my opinion the second most talented D-man in this draft. I love Hughes but Merkley makes disgusting offensive plays. I am not sure about his D and I am not sure about his character, but we won't draft a more talented player in the 20's this decade if we do get a shot at him.

Also what is the point in all of these high character guys like Larkin and Rasmussen if they can't help straighten out a Merkley. It's a chance but it for me is a chance this team should absolutely take if he is there. He massively shifts how I feel about our rebuild if he is the guy we get with the Vegas pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would go with Athanasiou as the lesson on taking a really talented guy with reported attitude issues that seems to still be a problem years later.

But Merkley has actual superstar ability on a game by game basis. If he is there at the Vegas pick (I expect him to be gone) we should pull the trigger. He is in my opinion the second most talented D-man in this draft. I love Hughes but Merkley makes disgusting offensive plays. I am not sure about his D and I am not sure about his character, but we won't draft a more talented player in the 20's this decade if we do get a shot at him.

Also what is the point in all of these high character guys like Larkin and Rasmussen if they can't help straighten out a Merkley. It's a chance but it for me is a chance this team should absolutely take if he is there. He massively shifts how I feel about our rebuild if he is the guy we get with the Vegas pick.

I really like what you said in that last paragraph there.

But man, Merkley is such a conundrum for me. I started the year giving him the benefit of the doubt and obviously loving the skill set, but he really didn’t do himself a lot of favors this year.

With the puck, yeah I agree, he is a special player. I still say he’s the best skating 17 year old defenseman I’ve ever seen. He makes some plays with the puck I don’t know anyone else in this draft could.

But you have to take the good, the bad, and the ugly with him. And the ugly is ugly. He will create a turnover for the other team and then make 0 effort to get back and defend on the play that resulted from his turnover. Hard to say how good defensively he could be when he’s not interested in trying half the time.

I thought he has been passable defensively when he has played for Canada, so maybe in the right environment you could drag it out of him. But he also was a healthy scratch this year. I have a hard time seeing most coaches having the patience to deal with him for an entire season unless he really grows up and changes his ways.

I would probably roll the dice on him with a pick in the 20’s. But I also won’t be surprised if we are talking about these same issues with this kid a few years from now either.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

But man, Merkley is such a conundrum for me. I started the year giving him the benefit of the doubt and obviously loving the skill set, but he really didn’t do himself a lot of favors this year.

With the puck, yeah I agree, he is a special player. I still say he’s the best skating 17 year old defenseman I’ve ever seen. He makes some plays with the puck I don’t know anyone else in this draft could.

But you have to take the good, the bad, and the ugly with him. And the ugly is ugly. He will create a turnover for the other team and then make 0 effort to get back and defend on the play that resulted from his turnover. Hard to say how good defensively he could be when he’s not interested in trying half the time.

I thought he has been passable defensively when he has played for Canada, so maybe in the right environment you could drag it out of him. But he also was a healthy scratch this year. I have a hard time seeing most coaches having the patience to deal with him for an entire season unless he really grows up and changes his ways.

I would probably roll the dice on him with a pick in the 20’s. But I also won’t be surprised if we are talking about these same issues with this kid a few years from now either.

3rd round pick is where I'm comfortable taking Merkley.

Ryan Murphy
Anthony DeAngelo

Thats the category I place him in.

If the Wings pick him in the 1st two rounds, I won't like it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I think the same way you do. In a "normal" draft year for Detroit I wouldnt want him. But the wings basically have a 5th overall that should get them a solid prospect, and their 2 seconds are basically the same as late first round picks because of how high theyll be. I think with a talent level as high as Merkleys I would take the risk on one out of those 4 picks.

Its kinda the home run swing a lot of people want to be taken on here. But theyll get a safer player (and higher end) at ~5 and add two more good prospects in the same range as Merkley if they were to draft him. I dont really see the issue

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->