Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I partially disagree.

If Dahlin is the "generational player" that many are touting him to be and the clear number 1 in the draft (I don't know enough to say that he is but that's how it's being reported), IMO you take him, plain and simple. It's not like the Canes have a ton of offense generated from their blueline today, and the only guy that has shown 40 point capability is Faulk, who everyone thinks will either be shipped out this offseason, or won't re-sign when his contract is up. We have some defensemen that can skate, move the puck in transition fairly well (but not great), but other than Faulk's shot, none of them scare any opponents offensively. Look what an Erik Karlsson type player can do for a team. If he's as good as advertised, it allows you to move any combination of Hanifin, Bean, Fleury to improve the forward group.

If he's not the clear #1 and/or the Canes have a forward who they view as equal to or close to Dahlin, then yeah, a trade may make sense.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If we were two or three this year, my dark horse would actually be Tkachuk. He’s got way smoother hands than his brother, is big in big games and blends strength with skill. I know it seems silly to take him over the two obvious skill guys but I’d have a hard time not picking him. I think he could be the most successful player of the three.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Unless the Canes win one of the top 3 picks, I am sticking by my position that they need a RW with Stempniak almost certainly leaving and Williams in his last year. Gauthier might yet reach the potential that made him a first-rounder. But otherwise the organization does not have a RW with a 50+ point ceiling.

The two in the coming draft who do have that potential are Bokk and Kaut. For most of the 17-18 season I was much higher on Bokk. Now I would give Kaut a moderate edge.

Therefore, I think the clear options are to draft Kaut at 11 or trade that pick to someone drafting 18-20 and grab Kaut. As much as I like Kaut and believe he will the one forward taken outside the top 10 who will be the steal of the draft in 3-4 years, I don't see him rising much more. Because he is a 99 birth date, he won't be playing in the U18, so players like Bokk will have a chance to move up.

In addition to playing well at the WJC 20, Kaut was quite effective the last 15 games in the top Czech league. He had 6 goals and 10 points. In fact, his pre-draft production is higher than Necas last year and significantly above Chytil's. There is also the benefit that Kaut and Necas played well together at the WJC.

I understand that there are a dozen or so players that most scouts have above Kaut that would be available when the Hurricanes pick. But there is also much evidence from past drafts to say players ranked 10-15 are often not more successful than some taken around 25--basically players in the 10-25 range often have similar upsides. If the organization's scouts are unanimous that Bokk has a higher ceiling, than I would be ok with that. I would not be happy with another defenseman or a BPA center like Veleno or Hayton.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wahlstrom is kind of early career Vanek. Dahlin is in a class alone as far as defense prospects go. I can't remember a guy getting this much publicity from defense and being a mortal lock for 1st overall. There has to be something to that. If we somehow managed to pick first he's a slam dunk. Tkachuk is interesting for the reasons BG mentioned. Less ratty than his brother and seems to have a better toolbox. Zero problem with him in the Top 4. Zadina is sort of the Ehlers of this draft just for quick and dirty comparisons. Svechnikov is an absolute mystery to me. He has a lot of what you'd want, but CHL Russians scare the crap out of me.

David Tanabe

Nov 4, 2006
Unless the Canes win one of the top 3 picks, I am sticking by my position that they need a RW with Stempniak almost certainly leaving and Williams in his last year. Gauthier might yet reach the potential that made him a first-rounder. But otherwise the organization does not have a RW with a 50+ point ceiling.

The two in the coming draft who do have that potential are Bokk and Kaut. For most of the 17-18 season I was much higher on Bokk. Now I would give Kaut a moderate edge.

Drafting for positional need tends not to work out - think about picking Fleury over Nylander or Ehlers in 2014. However, I think we might luck into the best player available being a RW, which I agree is a position of need, if we're feeling brave enough to take a Russian.

Vitaly Kravtsov is a huge-upside type of pick that will probably be available at the 11-13 range because of the Russian factor. We normally don't take Russians, but we'll have a new GM that might be more open-minded about that sort of thing, and it's not like our previous path was working anyway. Kravtsov lit up the KHL playoffs at 18 and has a ton of skills that we don't have much of in our top six. I don't think it's crazy to call him a top-5 talent. Zykov seems to be working out, why not add one more? We don't get many chances to draft forwards with his level of skill and it would be a mistake to pass him up unless we really thought he wasn't coming to North America.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
However, I think we might luck into the best player available being a RW, which I agree is a position of need, if we're feeling brave enough to take a Russian.

What Kravtsov has done in playoffs is impressive. But I would still prefer Kaut based on this year. Kaut had a much better regular season and has been productive in international play (as I mentioned quite a bit more productive than Chytil) for two years. The two players are the same size. Kravtsov is a left-shot, Kaut a right.

The thing about either of these players is they fit a need AND have significant upside. IMO Kaut has nearly the same upside without the "bravery" required--also the benefit of having chemistry with Necas.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
So as an intellectual exercise here is an "ideal" 2018 draft for Carolina--presumes they draft 11, 42, 73, etc.

1st round--Kaut (I have made my argument already)
2nd--Jake Wise (dropped a long way on many rankings, now on his way back up; would be great at 42)
3rd--Ty Emberson (RHD with some size; the organization needs more D depth)
4th--Linus Nyman (overager not in a lot of top 100 lists, but a ton of upside for a smaller player)
6th--Carl Wassenius (word is that he is not a strong skater, but he puts up points at every level)
7th--Simon Johansson (another overager, this time a taller RHD who has shown offensive upside)
7th--Linus Karlsson (completely off the radar, yet a player who was second top scorer in a top junior league this season)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So as an intellectual exercise here is an "ideal" 2018 draft for Carolina--presumes they draft 11, 42, 73, etc.

1st round--Kaut (I have made my argument already)
2nd--Jake Wise (dropped a long way on many rankings, now on his way back up; would be great at 42)
3rd--Ty Emberson (RHD with some size; the organization needs more D depth)
4th--Linus Nyman (overager not in a lot of top 100 lists, but a ton of upside for a smaller player)
6th--Carl Wassenius (word is that he is not a strong skater, but he puts up points at every level)
7th--Simon Johansson (another overager, this time a taller RHD who has shown offensive upside)
7th--Linus Karlsson (completely off the radar, yet a player who was second top scorer in a top junior league this season)

Kaut at 11 is a huge reach, maybe trade down to get a few more picks?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Kaut at 11 is a huge reach, maybe trade down to get a few more picks?

My original post more that two weeks ago in this thread was to trade 11 for 18-20 and use that pick for Kaut. I would really like that if trading down got another 2nd rounder, because there are several other good choices for the 2nd: Addison if it is high 2nd and he falls; Ylonen as another RW; or Kurashev as C.

Though I still like Kaut more, even at 11, than the options which are likely at that spot--Veleno/Smith/Kotkaniemi. Though if the consensus of Canes' scouts is Bokk or Kravtsov as RW at 11, I can see that.

My hunch is that in 3 years when someone on hfboards starts a 2018 re-draft thread that Kaut will be around 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad