Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
zadina would be a dream scenario. it sucks because a lot of the guys in the 5-11 range that really interest me are defenders assuming the top 4 remains dahlin, svechnikov, zadina, tkachuk. the funny thing is that they're all like sub six feet which speaks to what i was speaking about in terms of the transition that is being made away from size on the back end and size in general. offense from the defense is becoming the most valued commodity in hockey. bouchard, hughes, boqvist, and smith are all guys who fit that profile. wahlstrom and veleno are the best forwards in that projected range in my opinion. wahlstrom seems to fit more of an organizational need as a finisher, but not certain he's going to be there when we pick. veleno is more electric and has better speed and puck handling but not as much on his shot obviously.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Read that Kupari has something like a 105 PDO. FEL fans saying he has had some extreme puck luck this year.

Kotkaniemi is also quite young for his class. Shot generation is impressive at 17 for FEL.

You're telling me there's a prospect with a great corsi and a completely unsustainably unlucky PDO? Where do we sign up?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Kaut's success at multiple levels suggests he could be a player picked in the 20s who ends up being a top 10 producer (similar to Konecny, Schmaltz, or Pastrnak--Kaut actually has better production in international play). Players ranked in the 10-13 range often aren't any more productive. Given that the Canes need RWs for the future and Kaut and Necas seem to have chemistry, I still think trading down to the early 20s and getting Kaut and another asset makes more sense than say Veleno or Kotkaniemi. Though I like both those players quite a bit.
IMHO, the only reason staying at 10/11 makes sense is if one of the top USDP players is still there (Wahlstrom or Farabee).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Kaut's success at multiple levels suggests he could be a player picked in the 20s who ends up being a top 10 producer (similar to Konecny, Schmaltz, or Pastrnak--Kaut actually has better production in international play). Players ranked in the 10-13 range often aren't any more productive. Given that the Canes need RWs for the future and Kaut and Necas seem to have chemistry, I still think trading down to the early 20s and getting Kaut and another asset makes more sense than say Veleno or Kotkaniemi. Though I like both those players quite a bit.
IMHO, the only reason staying at 10/11 makes sense is if one of the top USDP players is still there (Wahlstrom or Farabee).

My sense was that we'd be able to trade down and guys like Kokaniemi, Veleno, and Hayton would still be there....this is a deep draft and there are guys in the 2nd and 3rd round that are going to be very good.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
God yes. Please overpay for him.

Keep in mind, it's not out of the realm of possibility that I'm the next Canes GM.

What's going on with him? Canes fans not happy with him? I'd love on the FLames, but seeing how our strengths and weaknesses are the same, I think we need a third party to do a three way trade.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
What's going on with him? Canes fans not happy with him? I'd love on the FLames, but seeing how our strengths and weaknesses are the same, I think we need a third party to do a three way trade.

In short, he’s a good guy to have in your top 9, he’s just not the player we hoped he’d be. He shows flashes of 50+ pt producer, then he subtly disappears for long stretches of games. We should’ve drafted Monahan.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
the funny thing is that they're all like sub six feet which speaks to what i was speaking about in terms of the transition that is being made away from size on the back end and size in general.

So you've got Dahlin, then the smallish Boqvist and Hughes, but the next 3 defenders on most ratings services are Dobson, Bouchard, and Wilde - all right shots and all 6'1" or taller. All are good skaters with adequate shots. I would neither be surprised nor disappointed to end up with any of those 3 guys. Still, if by some miracle we could end up with Wahlstrom, that would be a happy turn of events.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So you've got Dahlin, then the smallish Boqvist and Hughes, but the next 3 defenders on most ratings services are Dobson, Bouchard, and Wilde - all right shots and all 6'1" or taller. All are good skaters with adequate shots. I would neither be surprised nor disappointed to end up with any of those 3 guys. Still, if by some miracle we could end up with Wahlstrom, that would be a happy turn of events.

no more drafting D please. good lord

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
no more drafting D please. good lord

Team needs more Jake Bean’s and Haydn Fleury’s.

Take the best player regardless of position. I'm fine with another d if that's the best guy. We aren't currently in a place where we need to draft for a position.

Always BPA...it's just that sometimes you have to hone the definition of BPA to "best player available at the position of greatest need". Right now we need a dynamic scoring forward, best if it was a centerman. However, we just aren't that deep on the right side on defense and if Dobson, Bouchard, or Wilde is available and we've deemed them BPA, you take 'em. Just because Ron Francis wasn't able to pull off a trade involving one of our young defensive assets doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The idea of trading "extra" D for forwards only works when we get to the point of having extras. We may be there in a year or two. I don't mind a forward obviously, I just don't want us reaching for one if a better D is in the way.
My point is that after this draft, there certainly could be more options, especially with its depth.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
i sometimes think that we forget we have 2 potential top 6 dmen in Carrick & Mckowen in the system also. We need a Center and a RW. another Aho (But RW this time) would be BEAUTIFUL! Necas can fill as #2 center for a couple months until we acquire a #1 C (unless we throw LOTS of cash at tavares) then play him 3rd line and let the DR go his seperate route. all we can do is pray for kupari to drop, we trade up at a cheap price, or we win the lotto (we want 3 to get zadina, we don't want anyone else in the top 3 except svechnikov but don't want him as much because we want that Czech chemestry like Tuevo & Aho in their Finnish connection) what if we try and trade for barkov (ik a stretch but the dude is awesome and under rated by most in the league, biggest man crush in the league thats not on carolina and doesn't have amazing hair like Boeser and lundquivst)

Best scenerio
we trade:
Bean/Flurey
1st
2020 2nd
Lindholm/rask or someone not named:
Slavin Pesce Aho Tuevo Staal Skinner Hanifin Mcginn
and a prospect not named:
Necas Kuokkonen Booth Needaspellcheck

for
Barkov

Worst:
We draft another defenseman

Scenario's i won't mind:
Trading up for cheap & getting kupari
Getting Veleno
outright trading the first then sign tavares for a decent player that could play RW on a line with Skinner (maybe landeskog? ik lw but maybe get some of that iihf magic between him landeskog to go with skinner?)
dear god just sign tavares
trade bill peters and every pick until 2030 for mackinnon
winning the lotto (except #1) and getting svechnikov/zadina/tkachuk

so anyone like this (if you are a florida fan don't get mad cause ik its a horrible deal in any way for you just talking out of my head here)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Fancy stats and 17 year old prospects....

Anyways I lean a bit towards Kupari, he has the skill level to be a top line forward I think. Amongst the forwards I'm trying to catch up now for this years draft, he's one of the few past the top 3 that seem to have a bit of that "it" factor to his game. He can create his own space, great puck control, quick feet and is fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad