Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
As of 2/27/18 the Tropical Depressions. *Whoops I meant to say "Hurricanes" sit out of a playoff spot, again...

Canes at this moment would be picking 11th in the NHL draft. With approximately 3.5% odds to win one of the top 3 draft lottery spots.

The hockey gods decided to rain down on the Canes last year by gifting 2 Metro teams some undeserved draft lottery gifts. Will the hockey gods decide to finally gift the Canes after years of hard depressing suffering? (Doubtful)

Since we ain't winning the lottery we should probably start learning the names of guys outside the top 3. So who are we looking at in the likely 8th-13th pick range?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So whom is our Philippe Paradis this year?

I think we're more likely to get another Murphy or Boychuk instead. It's pretty hard to draft a guy in the 1st round have him not ever play an NHL game.

What if we packaged the pick for karlsson and Ryan. We're one of the few teams that could do it and we could always use more Ryans

If I was a GM I'd absolutely attempt to try and bring in Karlsson, even though D is already our strongest position. He's too good of a talent to just let walk by with no effort. I'd get creative if I could be GM and were able to acquire him.

Let's say you could acquire him for a mid tier player with some upside (Let's say Lindholm) & a butt load of prospects + picks. I'd then immediately flip Faulk (If he wasn't a part of the deal for Karlsson) for a forward to replace the production of Lindholm and maybe even improve from him, depending how the league now values Faulk. You've then just found a way to significantly improve your D and possibly your forward group by selling off some future assets that we have a fairly strong abundance of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
If I was a GM I'd absolutely attempt to try and bring in Karlsson, even though D is already our strongest position. He's too good of a talent to just let walk by with no effort. I'd get creative if I could be GM and were able to acquire him.

Let's say you could acquire him for a mid tier player with some upside (Let's say Lindholm) & a butt load of prospects + picks. I'd then immediately flip Faulk (If he wasn't a part of the deal for Karlsson) for a forward to replace the production of Lindholm and maybe even improve from him, depending how the league now values Faulk. You've then just found a way to significantly improve your D and possibly your forward group by selling off some future assets that we have a fairly strong abundance of.
Plus you get bobby ryan who is a solid if overpaid top six guy.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I’m kind of wary of Karlsson.

You’ve got to ask yourself just how good he currently is after all the injuries. Is the toxic environment in Ottawa affecting his performance?

Bottom line is he hasn’t looked like the same player this year. If that’s not an aberration then there’s potential for massive regret. It’s going to take a huge contract offer to sign him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I like Joel Farabee if the obvious options are off the table (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom).

Ideally they trade the pick for someone like ROR (similar to Stepan deal last year). If not a big Karlsson deal - which would obviously require a heavy sell by Dundon.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I don't know ROR's game, but if he's like JStaal (as I've heard people here claim), I'm not so sure I want another Jordan Staal. Jordan Staal is great, but I'd like to see a top-6 center that is a creator. I'm in love with Necas and think he will be that type of player, but even if he brings some of that style next year, I'm not sure I want the team make-up to be that of JStaal/JStaal/Necas down the middle.

Ironically, in trying to come up with a name as an example of what I'd like to see supplement the roster, Aho and Lindholm came to mind. It's f***ing frustrating that we don't get to see those two get an exhibition at center that amounts to more than a few measly shifts. To me, *that* is a perfectly valid and absolutely maddening criticism of Peters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad