Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Even since his effort picked up, the production has still been underwhelming. Even on a depleted Hartford team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Could also be they wanted to shed salary and now aren’t as eager to do so having moved Brady. The Rw depth really isn’t great

Not on an organizational level, but if we assume that Kakko is the real thing, you do get a bit of a log-jam with Kakko/Buch/Kravy on the same side.

But I get what you mean — and I definitely think that at least either of Buch and Kravy can slide over. For a LHS a move from RW to LW just simplifies the wingers game a bit. Maybe it wouldn’t be the best idea for prime Jagr or Kane, since they couldn’t turn into the ice the same way, but in many ways it’s no big difference. It’s the same as almost all LHS centers can move to LW. You just take a part of the game and removes it, after a certain point it’s the same almost. Of course for players that are great in the areas that is removed it’s a set-back to the extent that it shouldn’t be an option. But not for most.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On Kravy’s production, honestly, if these guys pass the puck in Hartford they are not getting it back 19 of 20 times.

It don’t work in today’s game and it’s certainly not how these top kids play the game. It’s not a slight difference, it’s night and day. For me it’s like how it would have been for many if they watched watch a normal NBA game and then an NBA game where you like couldn’t pass the ball at all. Everyone just ran up the court and took a shot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
On Kravy’s production, honestly, if these guys pass the puck in Hartford they are not getting it back 19 of 20 times.

It don’t work in today’s game and it’s certainly not how these top kids play the game. It’s not a slight difference, it’s night and day. For me it’s like how it would have been for many if they watched watch a normal NBA game and then an NBA game where you like couldn’t pass the ball at all. Everyone just ran up the court and took a shot.
That's an exaggeration but otherwise a valid point. Unfortunately, Kravtsov would be part of that problem, as he still doesn't operate at a high level with the puck on his stick. Yeah, he can make some nice passes, but he doesn't handle pressure well and still does too much East-West maneuvering. He's trying to play like he's an elite player at this level, when he's not.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
That's an exaggeration but otherwise a valid point. Unfortunately, Kravtsov would be part of that problem, as he still doesn't operate at a high level with the puck on his stick. Yeah, he can make some nice passes, but he doesn't handle pressure well and still does too much East-West maneuvering. He's trying to play like he's an elite player at this level, when he's not.
But isn't that the point of him playing in the ahl? To learn to be an elite player at this level, to learn how to move east- west and add in North south.
You make it sound like what he's doing is a failure when this should be what we want from him.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Hartford is essentially a team of guys who can't play well enough to be on the 4th line in the NHL s0 it isn't surprising that he isn't being productive. There aren't guys who can read what he is doing. So, now he has to learn how to create his own offense in a NA style game. I think he will have a better season next year. Amazing what a little time away and some natural strength through growing up can do. Happens to me all the time when I am trying to learn something (guitar, sports). Hyper focus often leads to frustration. Put it away for a few days or a couple of weeks and suddenly the thing I was struggling with is just easier.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But isn't that the point of him playing in the ahl? To learn to be an elite player at this level, to learn how to move east- west and add in North south.
You make it sound like what he's doing is a failure when this should be what we want from him.
The point is to learn to be a successful professional player in North America. He still looks lost with the puck for long stretches. I mean, yeah--it is what he's down there to learn. What I'm saying is he's not very good at it yet. And some of the East-West just isn't going to work here. Not enough space and time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hartford is essentially a team of guys who can't play well enough to be on the 4th line in the NHL s0 it isn't surprising that he isn't being productive. There aren't guys who can read what he is doing. So, now he has to learn how to create his own offense in a NA style game. I think he will have a better season next year. Amazing what a little time away and some natural strength through growing up can do. Happens to me all the time when I am trying to learn something (guitar, sports). Hyper focus often leads to frustration. Put it away for a few days or a couple of weeks and suddenly the thing I was struggling with is just easier.

Yeah, and they are also to a extremely one-dimensional. Fogarty, Gettinger, Nieves, Belesky, Gropp and the likes. These guys are top core players on that team. On a scale 1 to 100 in creativity these guys shouldn't come in above 25 if this was an EA game lol.

I am not getting into anything, but just saying, I -- really -- disagree with how many interpret things going on the AHL.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Has Hartford ever been good offensively? Have we ever had a guy really light it up down there? Best I can think of is Miller and Chytil and even they were under 1 ppg.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Are people still sour on him? He came back, played on par with how a 19-year-old who shouldn't be in the AHL but is because the league started that stupid trend during the 2013 lockout did, and finished the season there. What's to be angry about?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It's been a while. Artem Anisimov had 80+ points his second year.
He had PAP on his wing that year, who put up 78 in 74 (AA had 81 in 80).

Zuccarello had 29 in 36 and 36 in 37, he was centered by Newbury who had 61 in 69 and 64 in 65 and we also had JAM the second year who put up 64 in 76.

J.T. Miller had a season of 42 in 41 without having teammates with similar scoring rates (Fast, Hensick and Kristo had decent PPGs around 0.7 in 40-65 games each).

It's hard to drive scoring all by yourself in the AHL, Miller's season was really impressive in hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad