Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind Lettieri getting one final callup this season to see if he can put it together more at the NHL level, he continues to dominate down at the AHL. Don't want to see Nieves up again.

I would like to see Kravstov maybe get a handful of games (3-4) at the end of the season however, just to give him a cup of coffee at the NHL level so he knows how hard he needs to work in the offseason.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
unless buch is out longer than expected I wouldn't hold my breath on kravtsov getting called up after not trading away any forwards. the 2 remaining callups will most likely used on LD to give hajek and rykov (once healthy) shots to replace skjei

and this is probably for the best. kravtsov is playing better but isn't exactly dominating. let him continue doing what he's doing, no need to rush him.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
unless buch is out longer than expected I wouldn't hold my breath on kravtsov getting called up after not trading away any forwards. the 2 remaining callups will most likely used on LD to give hajek and rykov (once healthy) shots to replace skjei

and this is probably for the best. kravtsov is playing better but isn't exactly dominating. let him continue doing what he's doing, no need to rush him.
The guy is not fast enough, and he lives with an entitled mindset. The whole KHL/VHL debacle obviously knocked him down a peg but as far as a first rounder he's a total bust. Hopefully he's a serviceable 4th liner or trade bait

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
The guy is not fast enough, and he lives with an entitled mindset. The whole KHL/VHL debacle obviously knocked him down a peg but as far as a first rounder he's a total bust. Hopefully he's a serviceable 4th liner or trade bait

giphy.gif

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Wow. Clearly you haven't watched him play or read any of the reports coming from Hartford.
Actually I have, guy doesn't seem to put in decent effort in his forechecks, his pace isn't great so he definitely looks slower than he needs to be.

He's gotten his production to 13 points through 31 games in Hartford, 0.41 pts per game. You think that's good minor league production for a first round draft pick?

Not impressed at all, maybe if he keeps his upward trend and miraculously develops a work ethic, but I'm completely down on this guy

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Actually I have, guy doesn't seem to put in decent effort in his forechecks, his pace isn't great so he definitely looks slower than he needs to be.

He's gotten his production to 13 points through 31 games in Hartford, 0.41 pts per game. You think that's good minor league production for a first round draft pick?

Not impressed at all, maybe if he keeps his upward trend and miraculously develops a work ethic, but I'm completely down on this guy
It's almost like you don't believe players develop over time. I guess we can call Kakko a bust too while we're at it, right?

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

That actually isn't too far off from the production of most 19/20 year old first rounders (also, he has 14 points). I think your expectations are a little out of whack.

The drama that happened didn't exactly make him look good, but from everything I've read and heard he is now consistently one of the better players on his team on both ends of the ice. He's a kid and kids sometimes make snap decisions based on their emotions rather than what is best for them... it happens. He seems to have learned from it

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
That actually isn't too far off from the production of most 19/20 year old first rounders (also, he has 14 points). I think your expectations are a little out of whack.

The drama that happened didn't exactly make him look good, but from everything I've read and heard he is now consistently one of the better players on his team on both ends of the ice. He's a kid and kids sometimes make snap decisions based on their emotions rather than what is best for them... it happens. He seems to have learned from it
Especially when expectations were extremely high. He must have heard for months from both people in the organization, the media, and his intruding family about how he was a shoe-in for the team. He arrived early that summer to acclimate and train. Must have been a real let down when he didn't make the team after spending months thinking it was his spot. That's a lot for a 19 year old. And coming from Russian parents myself, I can tell you how much family can get in your head when it comes to your professional life. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents were telling him he was too good for the AHL and to come back to the KHL.

Honestly the whole debacle can be rooted to external circumstances surrounding a 19 year old just wanting to play hockey. Tough break. Glad he's back on track now.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wouldn't mind Lettieri getting one final callup this season to see if he can put it together more at the NHL level, he continues to dominate down at the AHL. Don't want to see Nieves up again.

I would like to see Kravstov maybe get a handful of games (3-4) at the end of the season however, just to give him a cup of coffee at the NHL level so he knows how hard he needs to work in the offseason.

He has been passed over for everyone, hard to not wonder if something has happened...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I wouldn't mind Lettieri getting one final callup this season to see if he can put it together more at the NHL level, he continues to dominate down at the AHL.

I'd argue that Lettieri would also have better steady linemates than any other NHL stint he's had. Our bottom six is more capable of controlling the puck in the o-zone than it has been in years; with Lemiuex, di Giuseppe, McKegg, and Gauthier leading the charge.

A grinding sniper like Lettieri may finally find the niche he's needed to stick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Kravtsov has been okay --- sometimes very good, not necessarily or consistently great though.

I think we see flashes of what he's capable of, I also think penciling him into the opening night lineup next year as a Buch replacement might be a bit premature. But, I also wouldn't solely focus on the numbers he posts.

A lot of this experience is about comfort, refinement and doing things away from the puck. It's about teaching a mindset. So not unlike what we've seen from our defenseman, I think we can't limit our criteria to just the stat sheet.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've knocked him for quite a few things even since coming back, but effort is not one. If someone sits there and tells you he's not forechecking or backchecking right now, they are 100% not watching any Hartford games, because he has definitely been working hard. My main criticisms were that I didn't need Joe Lunchbox from him, I need skilled scorer; and he wasn't shooting and was making poor decisions with the puck on his stick. He's now taking shots (and surprise, scoring a few goals!) and making better decisions with the puck, if inconsistently so. Can't say I'm happy with where he's at, but I'm happy with where he's at relative to where he was to start the year.

Really, though. Doesn't forecheck? No effort? That's a crock of shit.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've knocked him for quite a few things even since coming back, but effort is not one. If someone sits there and tells you he's not forechecking or backchecking right now, they are 100% not watching any Hartford games, because he has definitely been working hard. My main criticisms were that I didn't need Joe Lunchbox from him, I need skilled scorer; and he wasn't shooting and was making poor decisions with the puck on his stick. He's now taking shots (and surprise, scoring a few goals!) and making better decisions with the puck, if inconsistently so. Can't say I'm happy with where he's at, but I'm happy with where he's at relative to where he was to start the year.

Really, though. Doesn't forecheck? No effort? That's a crock of shit.

I will say that when I saw him live a few weeks back, there is some truth to that criticism. I watched him skate around quite a bit like it was open ice night at the local rink. So while he is better than he was, even a few weeks ago, he was completely immune to that criticism.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Oh lord.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Probably the odds-on favorite to be called up from HFD due to Kreider's injury. Hopefully Quinn doesn't just stick him on the 4th line and say "have fun"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->