Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This whole situation is strange. I don't really know what else to say. He has a great year last year, comes over to the US, doesn't make the team, pouts, goes home, fails to replicate his success in the KHL and then gets demoted to a lower league. I just don't get it.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Vitali himself should have stopped this nonsense.

P.S. God, is this what he was (deservingly) teased for by his teammates? That could have definitely been brutal and I'd feel for the kid who was the butt of the joke.

Note that lockeroom culture is slightly different in Russia. I mean guys chirp each other, but the topic of family is sort of a no-go.

I could totally envision an unworldly 19 year old kid being utterly flabbergasted that his mom is the butt of lockeroom jokes.:laugh:
Again, just speculation.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Note that lockeroom culture is slightly different in Russia. I mean guys chirp each other, but the topic of family is sort of a no-go.

I could totally envision an unworldly 19 year old kid being utterly flabbergasted that his mom is the butt of lockeroom jokes.:laugh:
Again, just speculation.

And as a hockey dad I can totally picture the situation, and it makes me laugh at an apparent total absurdity of it to everyone witnessing, except probably Kravtsov himself, poor kid.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think JG needs to step in and take control of this situation.

It would be irresponsible otherwise IMO

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
So Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton has reached out to Kravtsov’s agent in hopes of figuring the situation out — and hopefully bringing Kravtsov back to play for AHL Hartford.
“He felt it was in his best interest to go back, and we allowed him to do that. I will say we’ve had a number of conversations with his agent recently just to revisit what’s best for him right now,” Gorton said Monday. “I’ll leave it to the conversations I’m having behind the scenes right now, and we’ll have to make a decision. Obviously we want the guy to play. If he’s not playing enough, then yes, we’d like to control his ice time a little bit.”

https://nypost.com/2019/12/09/vitali-kravtsov-could-return-to-rangers-after-russian-demotion/

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I wonder if his agent will push Traktor to trade his rights to another KHL team

I think bringing him back to Hartford would be the right move but I could also see it not working out great depending on the situation

Reactions: Rangers743

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Good...hopefully he is back here soon, time for someone with a brain to navigate his progression

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Gorton is doing exactly as he should be. He's going to take control of the situation and get this kid back in NA. There is no reason for him to be scratched in Russia. If we agreed to have him go back, it was under the guise that he would get tons of ice time in the 2nd best league in the world and in a top line role, at worst a top 6 role.

That is not happening. Jeff, go get your #1 pick back and get him into a good coaching situation, one where he'll have contemporaries in Rykov and Shesterkin on the same team, helping each other adjust.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I stand by thinking that it might be a good idea to let him have a bit of time with the main roster prior to being sent down (if he is). He's a better option there as an injury fill-in than Michael Haley, and it'd let the coaching staff get some real hands on time with him in addition to easing his transition back.

(And from a financial standpoint, he'd be making a lot more money than in the AHL, making it more attractive to him)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Find out what he needs. Does he need Rykov to hold his balls through practice? Does he need a personal barber? Do we hire his mom to bring signs and yell his name at practice and games? Obviously I'm being facetious (right?), but see what the kid needs and bring him back here where he should have been all along.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton has reached out to Kravtsov’s agent in hopes of figuring the situation out — and hopefully bringing Kravtsov back to play for AHL Hartford.
“He felt it was in his best interest to go back, and we allowed him to do that. I will say we’ve had a number of conversations with his agent recently just to revisit what’s best for him right now,” Gorton said Monday. “I’ll leave it to the conversations I’m having behind the scenes right now, and we’ll have to make a decision. Obviously we want the guy to play. If he’s not playing enough, then yes, we’d like to control his ice time a little bit.”

https://nypost.com/2019/12/09/vitali-kravtsov-could-return-to-rangers-after-russian-demotion/

Yea, OK Gorton.:eyeroll: You want Kravtsov to play? You friggin’ benched him in Hartford for presumably the same reason he’s been benched in the KHL.
At this point it doesn’t matter where Kravtsov plays. If he doesn't get his head out of his ass the end result will be the same.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
He definitely needs to repair his relationship with the Hartford coaching staff. Get him to understand that they have his best interests in mind while also giving him more of an opportunity to play through mistakes and stuff.
I don't disagree, but I don't think that it's a good idea for him to disrupt the good thing that Hartford has going right now. Now isn't the time to (re) introduce a malcontent to the room.

My preference is that he's traded to another KHL team and earns top 6 minutes there. Finish the season and finish March and April in Hartford. It would be like Hartford getting a TDL acquisition in time for their playoffs.

Time will tell.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Unsurprisingly, this situation is everyone's fault but Kravtsov's. Surely he bears some of the responsibility for what's happening? It certainly seems, at this point in time, he considers the best landing spot for him to be wherever will coddle to his needs, whatever those are.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
I'd be on board to never draft another Russian in the first round again. Total headcases, the reward is not worth the risk.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Unsurprisingly, this situation is everyone's fault but Kravtsov's. Surely he bears some of the responsibility for what's happening? It certainly seems, at this point in time, he considers the best landing spot for him to be wherever will coddle to his needs, whatever those are.
Is anyone actually saying this? Lol

Stop making things up to fit your narrative

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is anyone actually saying this? Lol

Stop making things up to fit your narrative
There were quite a few people taking a "Kravtsov is blameless/mostly blameless" position in the beginning. That opinion has kind of disappeared, though, as more details emerged and as he crumbled over in Chelyabinsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->