Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He needs to not worry about other players, if he was really doing that. Smith made the team as a combo D/F and honestly was as good as anyone that played LD this season short of Lindgren. He also wasn't terrible as a spare forward.

Haley sucks, but it is what it is. It's the NHL and teams often carry guys like him. That's just the reality of the situation.

Also, Haley played 5:30 each night. Did Kravtsov want his minutes? Kravtsov didn't like his role in the AHL before he left so we think he'd like a fourth line role in ahead of Haley or Smith? The money would be better but that's not the concern I'm hearing.

I'm sure not making the team was a bummer for him, but he didn't deserve to make it. I'm sure the ensuing adaptation to the game in the AHL game was tough, as well. But you gotta show more mental fortitude. Tons of guys go through exactly what he did. His circumstances aren't unique. I feel like he came in with unrealistic expectations and couldn't handle it when he realized that was the case.

This is easier said than done.

Now it doesn't excuse a lack of effort after being sent down or taking his ball and going home (to his credit, he came back) but players notice when this shit happens.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I always felt it was not so much about Kravtsov not making the team, but about a defensemen and a goon making the team ahead of him. From the interviews I've read, the communication didn't match with the eventual outcome for Kravtsov. He was given a lot of positive feedback during pre-season, and that led to him feeling he had a chance to make the team. When he then doesn't make the team, but on top of that sees Haley and Smith play instead, it can be deflating.

He probably could have handled it better, but there was a lot of pressure coming from his family as well, which eventually pushed him to activate his EAC and go back to Russia.

At the end of the day, I think the Rangers can learn from this and realize communication is key to making this a success, while at the same time Kravtsov can learn from this and push back a bit when it comes to his dad trying to interfere.

I mean if he doesn’t understand why smith making 4 mil and getting minimal mins on the 4th line along with Haley as the 13th to sit in the press box for weeks at a time when he’s not fighting literally for his paycheck is different situation than his own he’s not the brightest bulb.

Reactions: nyr2k2

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I think that's a bit of an indictment on the front office. You'd like to think that they'd do more to make sure these kids are comfortable. So in Lias' case I think that's a fair slight against Gorton and Drury.

However, with Kravtsov, he at least had Rykov and Shesterkin here to help him get acclimated. Obviously I don't expect guys to get along just because they're from the same country, but it certainly helps and social media gave me the impression that those guys were spending a lot of time together.

You're right management should be snooping on these guys privacy.

Theres something to be said of guys that come over to the CHL and stay in billet houses. I'm sure Lias got away with plenty (along with many in his generation).

Why is it management's fault he isnt dedicated to his craft? Plenty of kids his age do stupid stuff and plenty that are dedicated enough to be in the special forces.

If you want to blame the scouting department for not doing their hw that's fair game, but we shouldnt expect room inspections. Not like he would of told management that he was playing Fortnite all night.

I wonder why we dont hear about young rookies rooming with veterans like Crosby living in Lemiuex's basement. Then again Crosby at 14 years old had 1000x time more dedication than Lias ever has/had.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Now it doesn't excuse a lack of effort after being sent down or taking his ball and going home (to his credit, he came back) but players notice when this shit happens.
It is easier said than done, but it still has to be done. If a player can't focus on improving himself and not worry about the other guys on the team (particularly those he's not even in direct competition with) then he's going to have a pretty damn difficult time.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
You're right management should be snooping on these guys privacy.

Theres something to be said of guys that come over to the CHL and stay in billet houses. I'm sure Lias got away with plenty (along with many in his generation).

Why is it management's fault he isnt dedicated to his craft? Plenty of kids his age do stupid stuff and plenty that are dedicated enough to be in the special forces.

If you want to blame the scouting department for not doing their hw that's fair game, but we shouldnt expect room inspections. Not like he would of told management that he was playing Fortnite all night.

I wonder why we dont hear about young rookies rooming with veterans like Crosby living in Lemiuex's basement. Then again Crosby at 14 years old had 1000x time more dedication than Lias ever has/had.
But why is it only this team that has these issues? Lias was a top 10 pick and they just want to let him go and not even try to work it out? Kravstov did it too, thank god he came back. Say what you want about Lias but this front office needs to be able to work with these kids if anything is happening with them. Kiss their ass if you need to because these guys are the future. Sick and tired of wasting picks.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
But why is it only this team that has these issues? Lias was a top 10 pick and they just want to let him go and not even try to work it out? Kravstov did it too, thank god he came back. Say what you want about Lias but this front office needs to be able to work with these kids if anything is happening with them. Kiss their ass if you need to because these guys are the future. Sick and tired of wasting picks.
lias did not show much to have the rangers kiss his ass.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The crazy thing to me about all of these prospects having issues with playing too much Fortnite is that the Battlefield franchise exists.
Is there something behind the Lias and/or Kravstov fortnite stuff?

I don’t get it in general, it’s a light FPS with some silly dances and stuff? How is it such a thing?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't know if there are Kravtsov rumors, but it does seem like a more common problem that guys are dealing with.

I have no idea why it's always Fortnite though. It must be a generational thing, because I like FPS, but Fortnite isn't fun for me or any of my friends (save one younger guy).

Anyway, gone OT a bit.

Kravtsov being around the team for their time in the bubble can only help him, even with us being an AHL team. But if he doesn't bring a better attitude this season, then I will soon find myself hoping that his skills manage to push him into the league as he ages; because I really don't want to spend the next few years hoping that the kid suddenly becomes mature each month.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Brett Howden plays Minecraft till 3am every night.
giphy.gif

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

this kinda stuff has been happening since the beginning of time though. Some teams are worse at it obviously but it’s not abnormal. Very few prospects get a red carpet entrance into the lineup.

We yelled when Miller sat for Glass and other awful players when he was young. Tony D sat for terrible players and it took him time to get a full time job. Kreider was jerked around by Torts. Hayes sat for goons in a frigging playoff game as a 2nd year kid. There’s been far more egregious stuff in the last 10 years than either Lias and Kravtsov have experienced.

if this complaining stuff is true they need to stop bitching. I’m sure it’s frustrating but neither of them lit the world on fire. It’s not benching a PPG AHL kid. It’s getting kinda old listening to our prospects complain and threaten to take their shit home and play overseas.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
this kinda stuff has been happening since the beginning of time though. Some teams are worse at it obviously but it’s not abnormal. Very few prospects get a red carpet entrance into the lineup.

We yelled when Miller sat for Glass and other awful players when he was young. Tony D sat for terrible players and it took him time to get a full time job. Kreider was jerked around by Torts. Hayes sat for goons in a frigging playoff game as a 2nd year kid. There’s been far more egregious stuff in the last 10 years than either Lias and Kravtsov have experienced.

if this complaining stuff is true they need to stop bitching. I’m sure it’s frustrating but neither of them lit the world on fire. It’s not benching a PPG AHL kid. It’s getting kinda old listening to our prospects complain and threaten to take their shit home and play overseas.

It's a bit different when you're sitting for a game or 2 and on an NHL roster than when you're cut with an out clause on a team that is seemingly rebuilding. Every player you listed was US born, where exactly are they going to go? I'm pretty sure Tony was pretty vocal about his lack of playing time last year, it got him benched for a few games.

I agree, these guys need to take it in stride and work their way back up, even if Kravtsov was pissed about being cut in lieu of Smith (FWIW, I don't think he should have made it either) or if Lias got a raw deal while he was with the team but I get it. They're young, and in Kravtsov's case it seems like hes trying to make amends but this goes beyond the kids. This is the kind of shit that can tear a locker room apart if they aren't careful.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The issue with Kravtsov and his expectations likely had less to to do with Smith and Haley. It likely had to with the Lias and Kakko making the team when Kravtsov was just as good as they were in the pre-season. It's the inequity of feeling like other players at your experience level are being chosen over you. I think VK and then Lias both felt like that was happening to them and it didn't seem fair to them. It is on the coaches and management to be very very clear that all these young kids have to take their lumps. And that means not being where they think they should be.

But these kids also need to put on blinders and just work to the very best player than can be. They should be motivated to not just make the team on the 4th line or a top line in the A. They need to have the mentality that they need to work harder than anyone else to become one of the best players in the world. That's it. Listen to your coaches and then exceed the work they're asking you to put in. Make your destiny.

Everything else is BS they need to tune it out. Talent alone doesn't make you a star or even a regular in the NHL. Its about talent plus willingness to work harder than anyone else and being someone your teammates and coaches can depend on to be in the right place.

This, btw, is something that our young team struggles with a lot and was laid bare during the Canes series. That takes ultimate commitment to each other and discipline.

We are a young team and it's very hard for fans to always be able to judge things like this from afar. But if this isn't happening on a granular level - in practices, game tape and the gym -- the rebuild will never ever ever end.

I would prefer a Barry Trotz, Tortorella type. Quinn doesn't totally have a handle on the team re: system and discipline. At least not to the extent we would like. There's mounting evidence that there's not enough accountability. The desire for creativity and playing "fast" is hurting other facets of the team game and the foundation. Say what you want about Torts, but he was the perfect coach to precede AV. He got the kids playing for each other and giving everything. When he left that was a TEAM. They played with discipline and structure. Guys like Callahan and Girardi set the example. And that was meaningful. It created a wonderful foundation that lasted a few years beyond Torts' reign. That needs to be the threshold we hold Quinn to. I don't care how many wins we have in the regular season. This team cannot be a team that just relies on the elite players to make a play every time. They need to play within a structure. They need to find discipline and if we dont' see major improvements in those two areas next season, I move on from Quinn. I happen to like Quinn. I haven't soured on him. But the lack of discipline, inconsistency and lack of structure needs to the focal point. And that likely means more accountability. More benching. Play the right way or don't play.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Seems like he's the forgotten man with a disappointing year but with the talent we have he has to shine right?

With Panarin, Zib, Kakko, and now Alexis, Kravtsov winds up being the 5th weapon in the arsenal, so hopefully that give him the breathing room to do his thing.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Is there something behind the Lias and/or Kravstov fortnite stuff?

I don’t get it in general, it’s a light FPS with some silly dances and stuff? How is it such a thing?

I think Lias admitted he was staying up late playing video games while in Hartford but it seemed more of a reaction to the struggles he was having rather than a cause of his struggles.

I think we also suffer a bit with these translated articles, missing some nuance, and also the fact that you have a "hometown" press kind of pushing for some reactionary takes from these kids or players and finally add on top that there's a cultural component where a young guy like Kravtsov is trying to adjust, and we ultimately end up making a bit too much about a short sentence.

e: him coming in next season and earning a spot to bolster that right side wing would be big to the future success of the team. If all goes well having him and Laf going into their second seasons as Kakko hits his third season and hopefully overall provides some strong forward depth and skill as I see that as the year the Rangers might be in more of a position to be making a contention push

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I do understand where he’s coming from being pissed that Smith, McKegg, and Haley all made the team over him at the forward position. I don’t think this is the same as the Lias issue, we gave him an out clause in his contract and he used it when he was wasting his time being scratched in Hartford after being benched in his first game. All this after having the understanding from the coaches that he was doing everything right in camp. Lias seemed entitled, Kravtsov seems more confused. I really think this is a communication problem between the coaches and him and it’s kind of embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad