Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Helicopter mom who habitually reinforces bad habits by being overly supportive. Someone on HFB said she was at Rangers scrimmages or such, cheering for him out loud like parents do at amateur pee wee.

When you have someone as influential as a parent that undermines the coaching behind closed doors, that can cause a real mindf*** for some kids egos.
I saw it with a kid on my son's lacrosse team. His "part time birth father" who's only time spent with this kid was his lacrosse games, would tell the kid on the sideline "F" the coach he's an idiot whenever this kid did dumb sh**. For instance, the kid trucked the goalie, hurt him, then stood over him and gloated. Tossed from the game, the coach chewed him out, then his father is over there telling him everyone else is wrong.

That anecdote is a bit extreme, but it's not as uncommon in todays world. There is a real societal push to put children on a pedestal and some parents take it too far, to the detriment of their kids growth in self reliance, coachability, self worth, and strive-to-survive mentality.

I'm not saying this is a truth for Kravtsov, but the report of his mother's actions during what is supposed to be a professional atmosphere and frankly...WORK as in a Profession, is a legitimate consideration.

That's literally the story of ex-Islander prospect Kirill Kabanov. Came from an influential ultra-wealthy family with a lunatic father who sheltered him from hardship, berated his youth coaches, switched agents like underwear, etc.
The kid was immensely talented but a complete f*** up.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
With the new coach info in combination with everything else it is not far fetched to wonder if maybe he is not coach-able.

Point blank I've rarely seen this many legitimately worrying signs crop up the way they have with any of our prospects (or many prospects at all). This has been a nightmare season so far.

Every single one of these things can be explained away though and nothing is truly damaging.

They all do combine to paint a potentially very alarming picture. It's weird, every fantastic thing we saw the last two years is clashing head on in some cases with things happening now. Work ethic, maturity, motivation, production, coach-ability. It was all A+ rated but now this year every one of these things is like an F. We have a language and culture barrier and so many unstable, moving pieces around him too. Baffling.

But it's very possible he finishes with Traktor, returns in the spring and busts his ass, doesn't sulk and begins to acclimate.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Helicopter mom who habitually reinforces bad habits by being overly supportive. Someone on HFB said she was at Rangers scrimmages or such, cheering for him out loud like parents do at amateur pee wee.

When you have someone as influential as a parent that undermines the coaching behind closed doors, that can cause a real mindf*** for some kids egos.
I saw it with a kid on my son's lacrosse team. His "part time birth father" who's only time spent with this kid was his lacrosse games, would tell the kid on the sideline "F" the coach he's an idiot whenever this kid did dumb sh**. For instance, the kid trucked the goalie, hurt him, then stood over him and gloated. Tossed from the game, the coach chewed him out, then his father is over there telling him everyone else is wrong.

That anecdote is a bit extreme, but it's not as uncommon in todays world. There is a real societal push to put children on a pedestal and some parents take it too far, to the detriment of their kids growth in self reliance, coachability, self worth, and strive-to-survive mentality.

I'm not saying this is a truth for Kravtsov, but the report of his mother's actions during what is supposed to be a professional atmosphere and frankly...WORK as in a Profession, is a legitimate consideration.
Interesting if that's the case, we just saw this with Eli Apple and the Giants

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Bottom line is I think those traktor fans are right. This kid thought he was hot shit. Took a blow to his ego, cried about it and now it’s snowballed one him. Frankly I said I wouldn’t be surprised if when he got home he’d struggle. Sure enough he is. He needed this. As torts would say don’t let it get to good for you. Won’t happen overnight but hopefully he comes back from this. If he doesn’t he never had the character to make it in the first place. The road to the NHL is littered with Uber talented players that didn’t have the spine to do what was necessary to make it. He wouldn’t be the first. But if he fails it’s another high pick disaster for this organization. Also wouldn’t be the first.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
That's literally the story of ex-Islander prospect Kirill Kabanov. Came from an influential ultra-wealthy family with a lunatic father who sheltered him from hardship, berated his youth coaches, switched agents like underwear, etc.
The kid was immensely talented but a complete **** up.

This also reminds me a bit of Krill too, but his issues were well known before the draft and he was playing in the CHL, not KHL so not apples to apples thankfully.

The VHL demotion is concerning though

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I am kind of glad he got demoted. It is kind of like letting a drug addict hit rock bottom. Now he can't just blame the Rangers organization or the American system, this is the opportunity for a wakeup call.

How he responds to this is going to have a huge implication on his future success in my opinion.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This screams of personal issues to me, for a KHL team to demote him says a lot about his play or attitude. Honestly I didn't think he played too bad in preseason but nothing special, looked a little weak like most Russians do when they get here but there must be a side show accompanying him or something.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s a character issue that Kravtsov wanted to go back to the KHL. The KHL is a better league than the AHL anyways, and he wanted more money probably. But this demotion is concerning.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Geez guys.

Maybe it’s just that the Russian coach has no real incentive to play or cater to a kid who if he begins excelling the rangers can just call over.

The whole situation was incredibly short sided. And I’m sure there’s a hint of I’m only here temporarily from kravtsov and his coach is yanking him around bc of it.

Rangers should recall him, void his KHL deal and send him back down to Hartford. Igor’s a big part of the team, rykov is finally playing games. Reach out to kravtsov, offer the lifeline that they can navigate a way to bring him back to Hartford

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hopefully the demotion is a wake up call for him. He obviously wasn't mature enough to handle the coaching in Hartford and ran back to his comfort zone as soon as he could. That sucks but he's a kid and it's not the end of the world. But getting booted from that cushy gig is not a good look for him. Just gotta hope that fire gets lit and he finishes with a great second half.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe he kind of screwed himself over by going back to the KHL. But I don’t think it’s too late to right the ship. We’ll see how this plays out over the coming weeks/months.

Reactions: ohbaby

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think the Rangers can just "void" his KHL contract. He's over there until their season is done and he's technically no longer under contract to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad