Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
What makes this confusing for myself is the Rangers seemed to go out of their way to take about how hard he worked during the offseason, and what a great kid he is.
Exactly. There was nothing but raves. He played well at TC. Wasn't bad in training camp or pre-season either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kravtsov hasn't handled this well, and while I understand the frustration by a 19-year old, I think his situation could have been handled better by all parties.

When you look at the Kakko-situation, where they flew in Tuomo Ruutu to have him guide an 18-year old living in New York without family and friends, I can't help but wonder: What have the Rangers done to guide Kravtsov? This is one of your top prospects. I can't get any definitive answer from either Traktor or his family because they refuse to comment on the situation but I feel it's at least worth thinking about. Someone will call me biased or not objective or whatever for saying this but, did the Rangers handle this situation as well as they could have?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They say the AHL is comparable to the KHL or even slightly better.

If I had to somehow rank the teams in KHL and AHL it would probably be something like this:

1. Top-6 teams in KHL
  2. Top-4 teams in AHL
  3. 7-16 teams in KHL
  4. 5-10 teams in AHL
  5. 17-20 teams in KHL
  6. 11-20 teams in AHL
  7. Bottom teams in both AHL and KHL

Reactions: nyr2k2 and ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Kravtsov hasn't handled this well, and while I understand the frustration by a 19-year old, I think his situation could have been handled better by all parties.

When you look at the Kakko-situation, where they flew in Tuomo Ruutu to have him guide an 18-year old living in New York without family and friends, I can't help but wonder: What have the Rangers done to guide Kravtsov? This is one of your top prospects. I can't get any definitive answer from either Traktor or his family because they refuse to comment on the situation but I feel it's at least worth thinking about. Someone will call me biased or not objective or whatever for saying this but, did the Rangers handle this situation as well as they could have?
Exactly. Great point. The Rangers could have handled this better. They knew VK could go back to Russia if sent down. And they basically bought him a plane ticket with scratching him after one game.

It's sad to see these events unfold, but maybe it was for the best. Maybe he needs 2 more years to fulfill his full potential. Cause it certainly looks like nothing will progress this season.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Kravtsov has 2 huge problems. One, he's arrogant. Two, he's dumb. He thinks the crappy way he plays the game is fine. Thus, why his production stinks. The crybaby garbage about handling it better is pathetic. The Rangers aren't the problem. Kravtsov is the problem but he's too stupid and arrogant to realize that. I would be stunned if he wasn't dealt at some point this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kravtsov has 2 huge problems. One, he's arrogant. Two, he's dumb. He thinks the crappy way he plays the game is fine. Thus, why his production stinks. The crybaby garbage about handling it better is pathetic. The Rangers aren't the problem. Kravtsov is the problem but he's too stupid and arrogant to realize that. I would be stunned if he wasn't dealt at some point this season.

So happy we have someone here who knows him personally :laugh:

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
I think ”the crappy way he plays” is the reason he got drafted
Calling him arrogant just shows how dumb you are btw

Posters like you make this board unreadable at times lol

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Kravtsov has 2 huge problems.
One, he's arrogant.
Two, he's dumb.
He thinks the crappy way
he plays the game
is fine.
Thus, why his production stinks.
The crybaby garbage
about handling it better
is pathetic.
The Rangers aren't the problem.
Kravtsov is the problem
but he's too stupid and arrogant
to realize that.
I would be stunned
if he wasn't dealt
at some point this season.

Turned this into a poem for you.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015

I think the difference between Kakko and Kravy is that the Rangers don't have any other Finnish players around. You would think Buch and Panarin would easily be that kind of voice to the kid, not to mention he was down in Hartford with Shesty, so he wasn't in a situation of isolation. I think there was more support available for him vs Kakko. Ultimately, none of us know what the heck is really going on, though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A lot of players from the first round of the 2018 draft are not quite having the D+2 seasons that they or their teams hoped for.

It's been a weird year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the difference between Kakko and Kravy is that the Rangers don't have any other Finnish players around. You would think Buch and Panarin would easily be that kind of voice to the kid, not to mention he was down in Hartford with Shesty, so he wasn't in a situation of isolation. I think there was more support available for him vs Kakko. Ultimately, none of us know what the heck is really going on, though.
Rykov has been in Hartford as well. He's been skating down there forever.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
JD commented right after he was hired that he was impressed with Vitaly coming over and training this past summer. He was decent in training camp and rightfully sent down to the AHL. Since then he fell apart. So my instinct is that he is going through something. Is it an anxiety, depression type issue or some sort of addiction?? Whatever the kid needs help. The NYR should try to get him over here and forget about hockey and get him some help. Get some professional counselors involved and get to the issue and help him.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
JD commented right after he was hired that he was impressed with Vitaly coming over and training this past summer. He was decent in training camp and rightfully sent down to the AHL. Since then he fell apart. So my instinct is that he is going through something. Is it an anxiety, depression type issue or some sort of addiction?? Whatever the kid needs help. The NYR should try to get him over here and forget about hockey and get him some help. Get some professional counselors involved and get to the issue and help him.

While you are at it. Can you make a professional diagnosis on me also? Would very much appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheech70 and ohbaby

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Well, if what @White Death posted about his mother is true, I'm not so certain what they could've done to change things. I mean, how do you come between a 19 year old and his family?

And if that *is* the case, perhaps in the long run getting demoted both in the US and back in Russia will be a good thing? Finally teach him the hard way that he needs to become a professional, listen to his superiors, and maybe get a little distance from mom (or at least her opinions).

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Someone will call me biased or not objective or whatever for saying this but, did the Rangers handle this situation as well as they could have?
You keep referencing this like what I said was unfair or just totally wrong but I really don't think it was.

In the past few months you KEPT talking about how it can't be mostly his fault or you kept heavily implying it was definitely 50/50 blame even though a lot of evidence was screaming that most of this is on VK. You did it so much that it was reasonable to think maybe your connection was affecting your analysis.

You are being very fair about VK since I pointed that out. If you had been like this the last few months I never would have pointed it out.

Right now for instance you're just wondering about what the NYR could have done better. To me that is totally fair to question.

Before? You weren't wondering about the Rangers fault you were definitively telling people they were wrong for not blaming the NYR more.

You weren't usually dealing with people absolving the NYR's either yet you would be telling everyone about how wrong they were

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, if what @White Death posted about his mother is true, I'm not so certain what they could've done to change things. I mean, how do you come between a 19 year old and his family?

And if that *is* the case, perhaps in the long run getting demoted both in the US and back in Russia will be a good thing? Finally teach him the hard way that he needs to become a professional, listen to his superiors, and maybe get a little distance from mom (or at least her opinions).

If his mom was that heavily involved, the Rangers should definitely have stepped in. This isn't peewee hockey

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Unlike last year's situation where the KHL contract was leading according to IIHF rules, this year the NHL contract is leading and Kravtsov is playing in Russia "on loan". That loan can be ended by the party who initiated it, at any time
Thanks for the clarification

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

The irony of you saying these things is as rich as your lack of self-awareness

Reactions: Kupo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If his mom was that heavily involved, the Rangers should definitely have stepped in. This isn't peewee hockey

Vitali himself should have stopped this nonsense.

P.S. God, is this what he was (deservingly) teased for by his teammates? That could have definitely been brutal and I'd feel for the kid who was the butt of the joke.

Reactions: I Eat Crow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad