Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Just skimmed through some of Traktor’s social medias. Many fans think the Rangers and their media gushed over and praised Kravtsov to ridiculous levels in the lead up to the season and Kravtsov was too immature to handle it....inflated head. Then when things didn’t go as planned, he collapsed.

I don’t buy it. There must be something else going on, especially considering his KHL benching.
If Kravtsov was this innately feeble minded, you'd expect there to be some hint of it in his past.
Did the Rangers not notice any character issues in their pre-draft vetting process? He was always the leader among his fellow Russian junior players.
I dunno, this cluster**** might be the symptom of something completely different. Depression, addiction, something else?

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We don’t know why he was scratched, and I do agree he should be afforded a second chance. With that said, there are plenty of reasons he could have been rightfully scratched. Did he ignore the coaches? Was he a disciplinary problem? I have no idea, but clearly the staff felt it was warranted. I don’t think it’s right to criticize them without knowing the story. A second chance is deserved, but so is some discipline if deserved. He’s not the first player to be scratched and deal with some adversity. Being a first round pick is great, but you play and act like an adult. It’s not a free pass. You don’t get to just do/act however you want. If your child acts up you may decide to take video games away for a night. Actions have consequences, but obviously you still give them the 2nd chance the next day. It’s a learning experience. If you just pat them on the head every time they act up then you aren’t likely to get anywhere.

It is important to remember that VK is still a teenager. That doesn’t excuse him from bad behavior, but he might make some mistakes. I doubt the Rangers would have invested so much in him if they saw him as a real problem person and the Rangers strike me as a club that does due diligence.
I wholeheartedly agree. We don't know why, and it might have been warranted. It's possible he might be a spoiled brat. Getting everything his own way. But do you send your kid to bed without dinner after one mishap? No you don't. You give him another chance after he has been warned. I have no doubt VK is taking this badly and is affecting his judgement. But you cannot tell me he was afford every chance. He was not scratched or disciplined in training camp or at Traverse City. We heard nothing but raves.

And then we hear crap about heart monitoring. Something happened in Hartford that doesn't smell right. So much so, Quinn has to address it in a presser when talking about Chytil.

In a year or two, this will be water under the bridge. He will be back better than ever. And even though VK probably had it in his head to go back to Russia once he didn't make the club,... I still feel the organization could have handled it better. Would it have killed them to let him play two games before scratching him?

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I think that's what @shinchanuuhh is getting at and he's not wrong.
I wish that is what he was getting at. Because then shinchanuuhh and I we would be in agreement. But instead, he disagreed my post and denied what the coach clearly meant. Which BTW is what you just clearly articulated and what shinchanuuhh took exception with in my post.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I keep coming into this post hoping for a glimmer of hope. Things not looking good for an absolutely critical piece in our rebuild.
I have no worries. Even if it takes two years, he comes back as a 21 yr old. The talent and skill he has, is not going anywhere. He can only get better, bigger, and stronger. Some kids need time to grow up.

He's a big guy,.. when he fills out and gets stronger, he will be even tougher to play against. He's big enough to play a checking role if needed.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I have no worries. Even if it takes two years, he comes back as a 21 yr old. The talent and skill he has, is not going anywhere. He can only get better, bigger, and stronger. Some kids need time to grow up.

He's a big guy,.. when he fills out and gets stronger, he will be even tougher to play against. He's big enough to play a checking role if needed.
I hope so. Would be a huge boost for the Rangers. I do hope Kravtsov after not gaining traction with, like, three teams this year, has a look in the mirror. At what point does he realize maybe it’s not “them” but “me”?

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I hope so. Would be a huge boost for the Rangers. I do hope Kravtsov after not gaining traction with, like, three teams this year, has a look in the mirror. At what point does he realize maybe it’s not “them” but “me”?
It's not easy having your dreams crushed, when you gave it your all. He came here early, learned English, showed up at the prospect camp, TC, and training camp. And by all accounts was impressive. How did this happen? It's not difficult to ask this question. Let's give him a break. He'll figure it out. Life goes on.

And if you add the fact there were spots open on this team to fill, makes it all the more disappointing. I mean really, we have a D-man playing forward. If that ain't a slap in the face, then what is?

And there is not one person here that even wanted B. Smith to play D on this team much less taking a forward position.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
But I did agree with what you quoted him saying,... "Yeah, I’d rather ignore what the coach says and make up my own opinion." Cause this is what you did.
Below is your first post which was not in response to anything specific

He was not sent down because he wasn't good enough. No, he was sent down to get top minutes he wouldn't be able to get with the big club.

You are contradicting yourself here which is why i questioned it.

Good enough for any role at all? Good enough for a specific role? I read it as the latter because you specified top minutes in your post.

Not according to Quinn. Sorry. He said,.. "he was sent down to get top minutes he wouldn't be able to get with the big club.".
I did NOT say "He was not good enough for even a fourth line role" bc this was not your original point. Now I looked like crazy for your quote. I found a tweet, second hand from a reporter as part of this link

Rangers Roundup: Quinn and Gorton speak to lineup decisions - FOREVER BLUESHIRTS

It simply says they want him to get top minutes. So I did not ignore what the coach said. Your original quote is about top line roles/minutes specifically and I responded correctly to that.

"He wasn't good enough for the role they wanted for him". This is in direct conflict of your position.

. I NEVER said he was not good enough for a 4th line role. Nothing is in direct conflict

You also said I had no evidence. Well you yourself admit he was scratched in the AHL.
You may not realize how or why but that IS evidence. You supplied some of the evidence. The fact that he was sent down IS evidence. The coaches words are even further evidence to support my opinion as well.

And I don't know why you reply to me about your likes or your opinion of being presumed a devil. I hold no ill will and don't see you as such. And if you want to make a little apology, maybe it should be directed to the one you offended? Just saying..
The devil comment was a joke linking to the fact my likes were at 1666. Dont take that too seriously. It was more just an open apology but I happened to be talking to you and bobbop so I hit you with one too. Even if you weren't offended I can still apologize. The way I see it is we shouldn't wait until we hurt people to apologize for doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just skimmed through some of Traktor’s social medias. Many fans think the Rangers and their media gushed over and praised Kravtsov to ridiculous levels in the lead up to the season and Kravtsov was too immature to handle it....inflated head. Then when things didn’t go as planned, he collapsed.

I don’t buy it. There must be something else going on, especially considering his KHL benching.
If Kravtsov was this innately feeble minded, you'd expect there to be some hint of it in his past.
Did the Rangers not notice any character issues in their pre-draft vetting process? He was always the leader among his fellow Russian junior players.
I dunno, this cluster**** might be the symptom of something completely different. Depression, addiction, something else?

Thanks for the report from Russians outlets that we don’t have access to.

But Traktor has a new coach this season and Kravy have even commented on that the team was having issues to adopt to how the new coach want them to play:
““It’s good that we managed to win, each victory gives us confidence. As a result, begin to play even better. All the work laid out, but with the arrival of the new coaching staff had a change in tactics changed a bit of work. This also affected the result”, – said Kravtsov.

Kravtsov: each victory adds confidence to us - Best Sport News

Their new coach is a classic trapping coach. Jurzinov Jr. His dad was a legend and I am not saying that he isn’t a good coach. But he will play very defensively without the puck and more freely with it.

Isn’t it quite obvious that coach have had an issue with Kravy’s ability to buy into that system?

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
I think everyone needs to take a step or two back from the ledge. There is basically no information coming out of Russia as to what is going on (and that's not something new).

Is he having a rough season? Yes. Are things a bad as they seem? Probably not.

The truth is always in the middle as you rightly point out. But the fact that he wasn't happy about getting scratched in the AHL and went home to russia only to get scratched there as well is not a good sign BUT I don't think anyone here is writing him off, we all want him to become the high end offensive weapon we dream about but it's not a good look what is happening right now.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The truth is always in the middle as you rightly point out. But the fact that he wasn't happy about getting scratched in the AHL and went home to russia only to get scratched there as well is not a good sign BUT I don't think anyone here is writing him off, we all want him to become the high end offensive weapon we dream about but it's not a good look what is happening right now.

I think that people are having more of a knee jerk reaction because of what is going on with Andersson. The maturity level is an issue and how he handles adversity but have to put in the context of hes 19 (turning 20 in a week or so) and playing in a new country a half way across the world.

Overall still concerning but some of these comments are a bit crazy.

Reactions: belford22

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think that people are having more of a knee jerk reaction because of what is going on with Andersson. The maturity level is an issue and how he handles adversity but have to put in the context of hes 19 (turning 20 in a week or so) and playing in a new country a half way across the world.

Overall still concerning but some of these comments are a bit crazy.

People are having a knee jerk reaction because this kid has been billed as a potentially excellent player. The rebuild has been controversial since day one (not for me, I’m fully onboard the tank), but landing this kid made many non believers feel like we were on the right track. That was a pick that we simply cannot afford to miss on, so yes, VK is and will be under a microscope, deservedly so.

Imagine the sentiment if we didn’t get Kakko? Jeez.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Hopefully this whole episode is a turning point for Vitali. Not saying this has been all his fault. However, at some point you have to show some maturity and fight your say out of this funk.

What makes this confusing for myself is the Rangers seemed to go out of their way to take about how hard he worked during the offseason, and what a great kid he is. Yet this season has not really showed any of that.

Reactions: ohbaby and egelband

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Hopefully this whole episode is a turning point for Vitali. Not saying this has been all his fault. However, at some point you have to show some maturity and fight your say out of this funk.

What makes this confusing for myself is the Rangers seemed to go out of their way to take about how hard he worked during the offseason, and what a great kid he is. Yet this season has not really showed any of that.

every former top pick "works hard during the offseason"

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Helicopter mom who habitually reinforces bad habits by being overly supportive. Someone on HFB said she was at Rangers scrimmages or such, cheering for him out loud like parents do at amateur pee wee.

When you have someone as influential as a parent that undermines the coaching behind closed doors, that can cause a real mindf*** for some kids egos.
I saw it with a kid on my son's lacrosse team. His "part time birth father" who's only time spent with this kid was his lacrosse games, would tell the kid on the sideline "F" the coach he's an idiot whenever this kid did dumb sh**. For instance, the kid trucked the goalie, hurt him, then stood over him and gloated. Tossed from the game, the coach chewed him out, then his father is over there telling him everyone else is wrong.

That anecdote is a bit extreme, but it's not as uncommon in todays world. There is a real societal push to put children on a pedestal and some parents take it too far, to the detriment of their kids growth in self reliance, coachability, self worth, and strive-to-survive mentality.

I'm not saying this is a truth for Kravtsov, but the report of his mother's actions during what is supposed to be a professional atmosphere and frankly...WORK as in a Profession, is a legitimate consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad