Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vitali himself should have stopped this nonsense.

P.S. God, is this what he was (deservingly) teased for by his teammates? That could have definitely been brutal and I'd feel for the kid who was the butt of the joke.

Considering the sacrifices his mother made to give him a chance at a hockey career (moving away from his dad from Vladivostok to Chelyabinsk, giving up her own career), I can understand a 19-year old being hesitant to tell his mother to f*** off.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Rykov looks like a beast. Looks like he can be VK's daddy.

Has Rykov played a game yet?

He's played 3 and according to a few has looked pretty good

Barring incredible luck and no injury bugs this season, either him or Keane will definitely see NHL time this season

Reactions: ohbaby

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Considering the sacrifices his mother made to give him a chance at a hockey career (moving away from his dad from Vladivostok to Chelyabinsk, giving up her own career), I can understand a 19-year old being hesitant to tell his mother to **** off.

For sure, but it does give infinite amount of potential locker room entertainment material.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's time for Gorton to send a plane ticket and bring Kravtsov back to Hartford. If the kid wants to salvage his career he needs to do it now with Hartford, the russian teams are trying to bury him because he is planning on leaving them at some point.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
"Salvage" career and "bury" him is a little too dramatic, but the gist is right.

It's not dramatic, if they dont pull him out of that environment soon he may never recover. If he plays VHL this year he may as well be playing senior league in Newfoundland, playing against bad players for the year only slows his progress. What happens if he looks mediocre in the VHL? That could happen, he seems to be pretty devastated about not making the Rangers this year? do the Rangers bother bringing him next year? This is a serious moment for his career.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
They’ll bring him back. But they are gonna make him stew in it for a minute.

Feel the fire, then pull him out.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If his mom was that heavily involved, the Rangers should definitely have stepped in. This isn't peewee hockey

It's entirely possible they tried to talk to him about it but maybe he hasn't reached a point in his life where he's ready to put his foot down with his family in regards to what he wants/needs.

I mean, all speculation, I have no clue. Vitali if you're reading this I don't mean to put down your parents ;)

But it could be a severely disappointed 19 year old is more ready to listen to his parents when they say "well if you're miserable and upset we think you should just come home" and intentionally or not put pressure on him to do those things and listen to what they say. Then at home...who knows? Maybe the team/coach isn't happy that he split for the NHL and was hard on him when he returned, he struggled, had more confidence issues, things start snowballing.

It's all pretty bizarre and I hope the Rangers are in contact with him or send someone like Bobrov to have a chat with him (hopefully it's not a situation where they tried to do that and were rebuffed by someone). Ultimately everyone on the Rangers side is pulling for him to be the best player he can be and to find the way to make that happen.

Reactions: William Moneylander
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I might be taking a terribly cynical position on this but I want to get him back in NA as soon as possible. What's the upside for his AHL team? He puts things back together with the ultimate upside being he returns to NA anyway?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's not dramatic, if they dont pull him out of that environment soon he may never recover. If he plays VHL this year he may as well be playing senior league in Newfoundland, playing against bad players for the year only slows his progress. What happens if he looks mediocre in the VHL? That could happen, he seems to be pretty devastated about not making the Rangers this year? do the Rangers bother bringing him next year? This is a serious moment for his career.

Nah, VHL isn’t a bad league.

It think there is an misperception that there really is a wide difference between talent levels at different tiers of hockey. It isn’t.

Hockey is a team sport. A well trained team even if it doesn’t have top talents will often be hard to play against.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I might be taking a terribly cynical position on this but I want to get him back in NA as soon as possible. What's the upside for his AHL team? He puts things back together with the ultimate upside being he returns to NA anyway?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I think the upside in Russia is:
(1) He can get to train a lot.
(2) He can get to train well (which he obviously has done up to this point).
(3) He should get to play at a level where he can play to his strengths and hence develop those strengths more.
(4) Hopefully have less distractions off the ice. He has been going to that same rink for training since he was what young 10s (AK?).

Look, there will almost always be an adjustment period for Europeans, and maybe especially Russians, coming over to NA. But the key with any kid you develop is to NOT prevent them from building on their strengths. The problem Kravy had in NA was that he often coughed up the puck when he tried to buy himself time. That worried me. Hands down, you must afford mistakes from kids. But you can’t accept too many of those mistakes. And it was quite obvious that KK wherent going to.

Hence I think it was good that he went back. Get a little more time with he puck on the bigger ice and take another step next time he gets back to NA when he knows how fast the game is and how little time he will have.

Back in Russia he has faced another dilemma. I know the background Jurzinov Jr comes from, and I would be surprised if they didn’t play a very disciplined trap without the puck while being more creative with it. Think Finland in international tournaments. Jurzinov is a strict coach. The KHL is a professional league. Traktor is a new team for this coach — and he will require that everyone plays exactly like he wants them too. You can’t play a conservative style like that — and not be disciplined about it. It comes with the territory.

I’ve seen some comments like ‘great now he EVEN is getting disciplined by his coach in the KHL’, but I can guarantee you, coaches in the KHL/Europe can be tremendously strict. It’s more of a tactical game than in NA. It doesn’t have to be big things at all. Could be very detail oriented stuff. Things Kravy needs to learn.

So ultimately I think we just just wait and see. The VHL isn’t a bad league. It’s good that he gets to play there. These things also takes time. Things can look really different in 4-8 weeks. Or things might not work out with the new coach. Time will tell!

Last edited:
Reactions: William Moneylander

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The only thing that worries me is the reports that Kravy had issues off the ice in NY. First substantial I’ve heard about it ever is in this thread. Rest have totally been just tidbits taken out of context.

It would be really interesting to get to hear what those issues were. @Amazing Kreiderman? PM me if you don’t want to post it here. Or maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Hartford is playing well. This situation has turned into a nightmare, but I'm not sure that bringing Kravtsov back to the AHL is the right play. I wouldn't want to upset the balance in Hartford right now.

Best case scenario is that Kravtsov gets dealt to another KHL team where he'll get top 6 minutes if he gets his head out of his butt and earns it.

I've never seen a prospect's stock tank so much in such little time. Last year he was one of the best prospects in hockey. Now, if I'm Gorton, if another GM calls about him, I'm listening on any fair offer.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Hartford is playing well. This situation has turned into a nightmare, but I'm not sure that bringing Kravtsov back to the AHL is the right play. I wouldn't want to upset the balance in Hartford right now.

Best case scenario is that Kravtsov gets dealt to another KHL team where he'll get top 6 minutes if he gets his head out of his butt and earns it.

I've never seen a prospect's stock tank so much in such little time. Last year he was one of the best prospects in hockey. Now, if I'm Gorton, if another GM calls about him, I'm listening on any fair offer.

We don't know much about anything that's going on...the Rangers likely have far more info. This may be nothing more than an unfortunate downturn for him that he can work out of with no harm done long term. Or not. We dont' have a ton of info but a whole lot of speculation that might not be accurate at all. If his stock is so bad that the Rangers need to trade him right now, other teams are gonna know the same thing and aren't going to offer much in return. Better to ride this out and see what happens.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

It's probably best for him to stay put until his KHL team figures out what they're gonna do but to be honest this is a good opportunity for him to come back to the U.S. and get his year back on track. (starting in the AHL of course)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The only thing that worries me is the reports that Kravy had issues off the ice in NY. First substantial I’ve heard about it ever is in this thread. Rest have totally been just tidbits taken out of context.

It would be really interesting to get to hear what those issues were. @Amazing Kreiderman? PM me if you don’t want to post it here. Or maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

Yeah, I am not going to comment on this anymore in public

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

There wouldn't be a fair offer. He has poor stats in the KHL after he left and is now in the VHL. If I am another team, I'd offer a third rounder and see if the Rangers bit. I wouldn't offer higher right now.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Big concerns here.

Really can't afford for him to not work out

This is a guy most of us projected to make the team

He's been demoted twice since camp. Don't pretend it's not an issue.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Big concerns here.

Really can't afford for him to not work out

This is a guy most of us projected to make the team

He's been demoted twice since camp. Don't pretend it's not an issue.

who's pretending? I think we're all in agreement that something is up whether it's good old fashioned "struggling" or something going on behind the scenes

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
It’s extremely odd that there hasn’t been a uncle Larry piece about kravtsov. It’s perfect ny post clickbait — a top draft pick regressing/ off ice issues / banal speculation, etc.

Reactions: White Death 24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad