Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I respect your opinion and I always enjoy reading your posts but I just don't see what you do in Veleno. I do agree with you that if he's there at #17, you grab him and run but I don't think it's that far fetched to see him drop for the reasons I stated earlier.

IMO if you're not crushing in at the minor league level and especially in a high scoring league like the "Q", I would be wary to pick that player in the top #10. It doens't mean that he's a poor player but he might not be the BPA at #7, #8 or #9.

I don't know if him getting the exceptional status hurt him more than anything else in regards to his offensive game. He had to play a more mature game at a very young age and that might of stalled his offensive game. Don't get me wrong, his vision and hockey IQ is off the charts but I'm talking about his goal scoring and his overall offensive game.

Looking back, the last couple of players to be granted such status haven't been doing anything special since getting that reward. IMO, that status should go to players like Crosby and McDavid and not Sean Day, Joe Veleno and even Aaron Ekblad.

After his mid-season trade from Saint John to Drummondville, Veleno tallied 48 points in 33 games which is a 100+ point pace over a full season. He is also one of those rare players with ZERO weaknesses or red flags. He is a great skater, shooter, passer, two-way player; he plays with heart and compete and smarts, he's terrific in the face-off circle.

This is a very thin draft at center, for whatever reason. Kotkaniemi checks off every box Veleno does except he lacks skating/skill explosiveness and is more likely to be an outstanding #2C than a #1C. Kupari matches Veleno's skills but also has a great many red flags, primarily his unwillingness to engage physically and poor defensive play. Hayton has Veleno's all around game but projects more as a defensive stalwart C who can add 50+ points than a go-to guy. I'm huge on Akili Thomas' offensive upside, but he may turn out to be a LW at the NHL level due to his lack of size.

I personally cannot see any way Veleno falls to 17. I would not even rule out his going as high as #3 to Montreal, much in the same way that Columbus "reached" for Dubois two years back due to an organizational need up the middle. In my latest mock I have him going to the Rangers at #9, but I certainly cannot see him getting past two Islander picks at 11/12.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
After his mid-season trade from Saint John to Drummondville, Veleno tallied 48 points in 33 games which is a 100+ point pace over a full season. He is also one of those rare players with ZERO weaknesses or red flags. He is a great skater, shooter, passer, two-way player; he plays with heart and compete and smarts, he's terrific in the face-off circle.

This is a very thin draft at center, for whatever reason. Kotkaniemi checks off every box Veleno does except he lacks skating/skill explosiveness and is more likely to be an outstanding #2C than a #1C. Kupari matches Veleno's skills but also has a great many red flags, primarily his unwillingness to engage physically and poor defensive play. Hayton has Veleno's all around game but projects more as a defensive stalwart C who can add 50+ points than a go-to guy. I'm huge on Akili Thomas' offensive upside, but he may turn out to be a LW at the NHL level due to his lack of size.

I personally cannot see any way Veleno falls to 17. I would not even rule out his going as high as #3 to Montreal, much in the same way that Columbus "reached" for Dubois two years back due to an organizational need up the middle. In my latest mock I have him going to the Rangers at #9, but I certainly cannot see him getting past two Islander picks at 11/12.

Rags will snag him.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

That's ok and once again, I respect your opinion... but I just don't view Veleno as highly as you do. If the Habs reach for Veleno at #3, it would be Bergevin's final decision because if I was Geoff Molson, I'd fire his ass before he could even finish calling out Joe's last name.

Again, I'm aware of his point total when he got moved to Drummondville but like I stated earlier, the majority of his pts came on the PP. He was still able to rack up all those points but not doing so at even strength would be a concern if I was about to take him in the top #10, let alone top #5.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Veleno is is still a really great player. He was the #1 pick for a long while up until the start of this season if I recall. Veleno is going to be a top 6 nhler for sure.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Veleno is is still a really great player. He was the #1 pick for a long while up until the start of this season if I recall. Veleno is going to be a top 6 nhler for sure.

Veleno was never talked about going #1 overall, over Dahlin and Svechnikov. If anything Svechnikov was the one that everyone was talking about a year or two ago but Veleno never belonged in that conversation.

He got a lot of hype when playing Midget AAA in Montreal and talks started to surface that he would get a exceptional status granted to him to play in the "Q" at the age of 15. Once he played his first season in St-John, the hype started to slow down but it didn't take away the fact that he was still a very interesting prospect.

I'm not saying he's a potential bust, just saying that I wouldn't take him in my top #10 and if I did, it would be with the 10th overall pick and not one pick sooner. If you're getting picked that high, you better be a top #6 center.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That's ok and once again, I respect your opinion... but I just don't view Veleno as highly as you do. If the Habs reach for Veleno at #3, it would be Bergevin's final decision because if I was Geoff Molson, I'd fire his ass before he could even finish calling out Joe's last name.

Again, I'm aware of his point total when he got moved to Drummondville but like I stated earlier, the majority of his pts came on the PP. He was still able to rack up all those points but not doing so at even strength would be a concern if I was about to take him in the top #10, let alone top #5.

I respect your opinion as well, but don't just rely on the stats. Watch some film on the kid. He's as good at this point than Dubois was when Columbus took him at #3 overall, and that was in a stronger draft class. I'm convinced Veleno is the singular surefire #1C in the class of 2018.

Reactions: Darkauron

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I respect your opinion as well, but don't just rely on the stats. Watch some film on the kid. He's as good at this point than Dubois was when Columbus took him at #3 overall, and that was in a stronger draft class. I'm convinced Veleno is the singular surefire #1C in the class of 2018.

I've done more than watch film, I've seen him live maybe 30 times as early as his Midget AAA days. I'm from Montreal (ville St-Laurent) and attended several Lions games (did the same when Drouin and Duclair played together) and everyone watching knew this kid was going to be special.

He's a relentless worker, has tremendous hockey IQ, is a fantastic setup man but there's something in his offensive game that leaves me wanting more. I don't know if he'll turn out as a complete 2 way center or a responsible playmaking center.

I keep bringing up the same point but to me, it's something that can't be ignored and that's his production on the PP versus even strength. As good as the kid is, I would have a real hard time taking a player who most of his offensive production comes off the PP in the top #10 and yes, he's the best center or second best center in the draft but the center depth this year is paper thin and that's the only reason why I can see going in the top #10.

I don't see him being available at #17 because there's no way that Snow passes up twice on him, knowing JT already has one foot out the door.

It's too bad that Dominic Ducharme is no longer the coach of the Voltigeurs because I think he could've really helped him elevate his game but moving from St-John to Drummondville really helped him out. He was trying to do too much in St-John because his team was so weak and it kind of got in the way of his learning curve imo.

I wish him all the best and there's nothing I'd want more then for him to prove me wrong, especially for a local kid, but I don't see Dubois in Veleno.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm content with where we are right now. There are quite a few players I'd be happy with landing at 17, though obviously they won't all be there. And maybe they're all gone, I'm not too sure. But I trust our staff here.

Miller, Kotkaniemi, Bokk, Kravtsov, Wilde, Smith, a few others I'm probably forgetting. I really like Kotkaniemi but with his recent play I'm assuming he'll be long gone by the time we pick.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Looking at this video, Kotkaniemi looks like exactly what the Devils are looking for. Skilled, crafty, and a battler:

It seems like BPA at our pick might be a forward, so I'm curious to see what the Devils do.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Looking at this video, Kotkaniemi looks like exactly what the Devils are looking for. Skilled, crafty, and a battler:

It seems like BPA at our pick might be a forward, so I'm curious to see what the Devils do.

He'd be a great addition to the organization IMO

I know we need defense but there might be a few real strong forwards at that spot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He'd be a great addition to the organization IMO

I know we need defense but there might be a few real strong forwards at that spot.

Looking at that reel he just looks so much like Bratt and Hischier. Hard-working and plays very north-south but also shows some craftiness and ability to go east-west when it makes sense.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can't wait for the whining to occur when we take someone most posters have never seen play a single shift or watched some YouTube highlights of a different guy and get all enamored with them. Good times will be had.

I trust the scouts over my own judgement. They know a lot more about what translates, what doesn't, and what they're picking for.

But I think after two drafts, we have a bit of an idea of what Castron and Shero are looking for.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can't wait for the whining to occur when we take someone most posters have never seen play a single shift or watched some YouTube highlights of a different guy and get all enamored with them. Good times will be had.

I think the complaining will come when we trade the pick :P

Or if we keep the pick we'll draft the 17th player in a 15-player tier, or some nonsense like that. Doubt there really will be a consensus by the middle of the first round though, one advantage to picking later is the perceived choices get more equal.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I trust the scouts over my own judgement. They know a lot more about what translates, what doesn't, and what they're picking for.

But I think after two drafts, we have a bit of an idea of what Castron and Shero are looking for.

I trust Ray Fitz Castron to make the right picks.

I lost faith in the prior regime and our board proved to be shrewder than DC when we voted for Barzal and also were screaming for us to pick Point

Thankfully I think we have an excellent scouting department presently

Reactions: nugg

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'd love to pilfer from the Carolina scouting department if/when they blow it up. They seem to have found a lot of diamonds in the rough when it comes to mid-round defensemen.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
After giving up some picks and futures at the deadline this year, it's probably in our best interest to draft in the spots we already have. If they find two players per draft, they can keep a steady flow of prospects coming. You should be able to get one each year from rounds 1-2 and another from 3-7 as long as you don't throw too many of those picks away. Trading up sounds like a really good way to not do that.

The best course of action should be to stay where we are and take bpa. When you're not picking in the top 5, you should structure your draft around 3-5 years from now.

Reactions: nugg

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Just a little observation on the Kotkanimemi video - he really demands the puck with his stick. Zacha needs that mentality.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
hey man, a ton of us armchair scouted barzal, and it turned out we were right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad