Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
can i guess since people are asking - it's not about boqvist being bad other than who else was available?

marcus davidsson
heponiemi
dylan samberg
maxime comtois

i think you had some preferences for who to pick? am i right?

This type of exercise is pointless because every list is drastically different. I'm sure Steven's list looks much different than the Devils list and both look much different than how the draft played out.

Just for an example, here was a leaked Canucks draft board in 2010:
  1. Hall
  2. Seguin
  3. Burmistrov
  4. Gormley
  5. JACK CAMPBELL
  6. Tarasenko
  7. Gudbranson
  8. Skinner
  9. Fowler
  10. Forbort
  11. Johansen
  12. Connelly
  13. McIlrath
  14. Visentin
  15. Granlund
  16. Kuznetsov
  17. Nino
  18. Tinordi
  19. Bennett
  20. Sheahan
  21. Bjugstad
  22. Merrill
  23. Melchiori
  24. Corbiel-Therault
  25. Hishon
  26. McNally
  27. Straka, Petr
  28. Jarnkrok, Calle
  29. Gailev, Stanislav
  30. Lindberg, Oscar
  31. Polasek, Adam
  32. Kabanov
  33. Ross, Brad
  34. Rensfeldt
  35. Hayes, Kevin
  36. Dominque, Louis
  37. Petterson-Wentzel
  38. Schwartz, Jaden
  39. Knight, Jared
  40. McFarland, John
  41. Faulk, Justin
  42. Zucker, Jason
  43. Larsson, Johan
  44. Watson, Austin
  45. Toffoli, Tyler
  46. Etem, Emerson
  47. Pitlick, Tyler
  48. Pickard, Calvin
  49. Johns, Stephen
  50. Pysyk, Mark
  51. Marincin, Martin
  52. Culek, Jakub
  53. Howden, Quinton
  54. Hamilton, Curtis
  55. Friesen, Alex
  56. Spooner, Ryan
  57. Gudas, Radko
  58. Mrazek, Petr
  59. Holl, Justin
  60. Pulkkinen, Teemu
  61. Wannstrom, Sebastion
  62. Bocharov, Stanislav
  63. Nelson, Brock
  64. Alt, Mark
  65. Martindale, Ryan
  66. McNeill, Reid
  67. Aubry, Louis
  68. Leach, Joey
  69. MacMillan, Mark
  70. Petrovic, Alex
  71. Simpson, Kent
  72. Brittain, Sam
  73. Cehlin, Patrick
  74. Gustafsson, Johan
  75. Iilahti, Jonathan
  76. Brodin, Danielk
  77. Nemeth, Patrik
  78. Coyle, Charlie
  79. McCormick, Max
  80. Kitsyn, Maxim
  81. Donskoi, Joonas
  82. Wind, Cameron
  83. Smith Pelley, Devante
  84. Tommernes, Henrik
  85. Hannay, Sawyer
  86. Zahn, Teigan
  87. MacKenzie, Matt
  88. Weal, Jordan
  89. Chudinov, Maxim
  90. Houser, Michael
  91. Wedgewood, Scott
  92. Sundher, Kevin
  93. Beukeboom, Brock
  94. O’Donnell, Brendan
  95. Herbert, Caleb
  96. Archibald, Brandon
  97. Chaput, Michael
  98. Salmivirta, Mikael
  99. Hjalmarsson, Simon
  100. Marchenko, Alexei
  101. Brickley, Connor
  102. Clark, Jason
  103. Henley, Cedrick
  104. Gauthier Leduc, Jerome
  105. Gardiner, Max
  106. Schemitsch, Geoffrey
  107. Smith, Dalton
  108. Yogan, Andrew
  109. Barbeshev, Sergei
  110. Hakanpaa, Jani
  111. Aittokallio, Sami
  112. Stahl, Tyler
  113. Kantor, Michael
  114. Marshall, Ben
  115. Abeltshauser, Konrad
  116. Shipley, Steven
  117. Kuhnhackl, Tom
  118. Bulmer, Brett
  119. Grubauer, Phillip
  120. Arnold, Bill

Compare that to the actual draft results and you can just see how differently teams rank players.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Edit: thanks for the redirect

While I'm here, post above is excellent. Too few understand that and think that the draft day result is representative of an aggregate ranking that is binding to all teams.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
This type of exercise is pointless because every list is drastically different. I'm sure Steven's list looks much different than the Devils list and both look much different than how the draft played out.

Compare that to the actual draft results and you can just see how differently teams rank players.
i mean i'm just thinking of the reason why he didn't "like" the boqvist pick - there were PLENTY of other good players available, so while some are questions why he didn't "like", i was wondering if it was moreso a case of "i liked someone better"

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Veleno hasn't produced enough for me to put him in the top #10. When the majority of his points are collected on the PP, it's something that bothers me.

Another point would be his average performance at the U-18. I'm expecting him to carry his team yet Lafreniere and Lavoie where playing much better imo. True Lafreniere is probably the #1 overall pick in 2020 (I don't see anyone else tbh) but I wanted to see more out of him and it didn't happen.

I watched Veleno play midget AAA for the "Lions du Lac St-Louis" and the kid was just absurd. I'm not knocking him for his overall play because he's a very smart hockey player and his hockey IQ is off the charts. I'm just not sold on his offensive game for me to be comfortable taking him before Boqvist. I'd view that has a "Zacha over Provorov" type of situation but that's just my opinion.

One of the things that might be in his favour is that there's no centers the top #5 and a team wanting a pivot might reach.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, that list you quoted was my personal ranking -- not a mock draft or a Devils-centric ranking. Considering how closely I have Veleno/Boqvist/Smith ranked at 7/8/9, I think we can agree that any of the three players would be a coup if they fell to the Devils at #17 overall. That being said, I think Smith is the only player of the three NJ has even a remote chance at landing.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
im not paying too much attention to the draft, since I think #17 is trade bait this year and dont wanna get myself interested in any prospects

The Devils are not trading this pick. It's a defense-deep draft, and the Devils are desperate for young blue-chip blueliners. Also there are a few high-scoring wingers who are sure to tempt the Devils at #17, such as Bokk, Kravtsov and Thomas.

If anything, I expect the Devils to attempt to trade for another pick in the 2nd or 3rd round, either by trading down a few slots from 17 or by swapping a blocked prospect (Mueller? Speers? Quenneville?).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
can i ask why you 'strongly disagreed' on boqvist, and whether your opinion has changed since then? i don't know much about him, but i have high hopes

I felt Boqvist had first-round offensive ability, but often would 'float' in the defensive zone and shy away from the more physical aspects of the game.

At the time, I really wanted Heponiemi, whom I felt had even more offensive upside than Boqvist and also played a far more courageous game despite a similar slight frame to Boqvist's. Also, I felt (and still feel) that Heponiemi can make it as a C or LW in the NHL, whereas Boqvist will not play C in the NHL. If we decided to go defense I really liked Dylan Samberg, who went a few picks later to the team I consider to be the best-drafting team in the NHL, the Winnipeg Jets.

Again, I do not want to sound like I "dislike" Boqvist. I think he has huge upside -- if he figures a few things out he can be a high-scoring second-line LW behind Taylor Hall, and we need secondary scoring. With the #36 pick, this type of player is an absolute coup. At the time, I just liked Heponiemi and Samberg far better.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
can i guess since people are asking - it's not about boqvist being bad other than who else was available?

marcus davidsson
heponiemi
dylan samberg
maxime comtois

i think you had some preferences for who to pick? am i right?

I explained this a few times in this thread, but I really wanted Heponiemi or Samberg. I had them both ranked in my top 30.

Reactions: OmNomNom

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I could not agree with you more.

But I will say that both Shero and I seem to place an emphasis on speed/skill/hockey IQ/character.

That being said, there are always exceptions. I am certain that, last year for instance, there was no way on earth that Shero and Castron thought that Popugayev would still be available in the 4th round. Though he does not exactly fit in with team philosophy, Popugayev had first-round upside, which is tough to pass on that late in the draft. So they did what any of us would do, they pounced.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys,
I have participated in two mock drafts and I was the Devils for both of them. In both drafts I picked K'Andre Miller so it certainly seems he could fall to us

Fans tend to follow the rankings of the more-well-known scouting services. Teams have their own scouts, so their rankings have a greater degree of fluctuation.

But yes, I think Miller is quite likely to be available at 17.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i mean i'm just thinking of the reason why he didn't "like" the boqvist pick - there were PLENTY of other good players available, so while some are questions why he didn't "like", i was wondering if it was moreso a case of "i liked someone better"

Precisely. But I fully agree with Zippy's point that there is a huge degree of fluctuation from team to team in terms of draft rankings.

Reactions: OmNomNom

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You guys have it all wrong. With Hynes coaching the squad to a playoff appearance he’s here for the long haul. I think Castron knows this and as we speak is looking at video trying to find the next Ben Lovejoy. I saw him looking at road construction crews and talking to some of the shinier traffic cones to get a feel for what kind of player they might be.

Reactions: nugg and MartyOwns

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I could not agree with you more.

But I will say that both Shero and I seem to place an emphasis on speed/skill/hockey IQ/character.

That being said, there are always exceptions. I am certain that, last year for instance, there was no way on earth that Shero and Castron thought that Popugayev would still be available in the 4th round. Though he does not exactly fit in with team philosophy, Popugayev had first-round upside, which is tough to pass on that late in the draft. So they did what any of us would do, they pounced.

Which is smart. You see a guy like Bratt who fit like a glove for what the Devils are looking for, but if a team like LA drafted him, he likely struggles to fit into their system. Helps you get more from less.

I'm curious to see how the Devils start drafting defensively now. Seems like all the guys we've been going for are strong skaters on the smaller side, but Tampa put on a clinic against the Devils with how size and reach can shut down so much defensively.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Which is smart. You see a guy like Bratt who fit like a glove for what the Devils are looking for, but if a team like LA drafted him, he likely struggles to fit into their system. Helps you get more from less.

I'm curious to see how the Devils start drafting defensively now. Seems like all the guys we've been going for are strong skaters on the smaller side, but Tampa put on a clinic against the Devils with how size and reach can shut down so much defensively.
Which makes Miller all the more coveted. I know the game has changed in terms of what teams want from their d-men, but there has to be some level of size on the blue line.

And if we are factoring in team need, the fact that Butcher is likely a long termer on the left side, can we really have another 5'11" offensive lefty? Granted the potential draftee will very likely skate much better then Butch, but, which of those guys is going to play on the 2nd PK, let alone the first. Plus they would but heads for PP time.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think you always take BPA in the first round. If there's a tie on their board though at their selection slot I'd prefer to go D obviously as that's essentially the last remaining void Shero needs to fill. Walsh, Chainey, and Sissons are nice pieces to have already but we need that blue chip defenseman in the pipeline.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think you always take BPA in the first round. If there's a tie on their board though at their selection slot I'd prefer to go D obviously as that's essentially the last remaining void Shero needs to fill. Walsh, Chainey, and Sissons are nice pieces to have already but we need that blue chip defenseman in the pipeline.

i agree- go with BPA. i couldnt agree more that we need a blue chip defenseman, but if that can't be done through drafting or UFA we should have some expendable pieces in the next year or 2 that we can package in a trade.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Just so there's no misunderstanding, that list you quoted was my personal ranking -- not a mock draft or a Devils-centric ranking. Considering how closely I have Veleno/Boqvist/Smith ranked at 7/8/9, I think we can agree that any of the three players would be a coup if they fell to the Devils at #17 overall. That being said, I think Smith is the only player of the three NJ has even a remote chance at landing.

I respect your opinion and I always enjoy reading your posts but I just don't see what you do in Veleno. I do agree with you that if he's there at #17, you grab him and run but I don't think it's that far fetched to see him drop for the reasons I stated earlier.

IMO if you're not crushing in at the minor league level and especially in a high scoring league like the "Q", I would be wary to pick that player in the top #10. It doens't mean that he's a poor player but he might not be the BPA at #7, #8 or #9.

I don't know if him getting the exceptional status hurt him more than anything else in regards to his offensive game. He had to play a more mature game at a very young age and that might of stalled his offensive game. Don't get me wrong, his vision and hockey IQ is off the charts but I'm talking about his goal scoring and his overall offensive game.

Looking back, the last couple of players to be granted such status haven't been doing anything special since getting that reward. IMO, that status should go to players like Crosby and McDavid and not Sean Day, Joe Veleno and even Aaron Ekblad.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think the QMJHL is a substantially higher scoring league than either of the other two junior leagues. In fact it looks like from eyeballing it that there were more goals scored in the OHL this season, though of course there's shootouts to consider. The Q was once a higher-scoring league but I also feel like higher-scoring was code for 'full of French-Canadian guys who can't hack it in the NHL'.

Veleno was traded to a team where the highest total scorer ended up with a point a game but he had nearly a point and a half a game. That seems good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad