Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Optimistic thought of the day...15-20 has been a bit of a sweet spot for the Devils historically. Daneyko, Brodeur, Sykora, Parise, Zajac. We have a great opportunity in that range

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This board needs an STI thread so all your musings can be in one place. You answered all my questions about MILLER Wilde and Alexeyev but in three different threads and my apologies for not reading them all before asking questions already answered somewhere else. Thanks for the time you out into this and share with us. Really makes for interesting reading.

I find time in between general hell-raising and rooting for the Winnipeg Jets to win the Stanley Cup. Thanks for the praise. This is fun for me. Obviously, the NHL Draft is one of my favorite days of the year.

Reactions: My3Sons and nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
uhhh i vote steven just makes the devils' selections in june lol

I actually think Ray Shero is way better equipped to do this than I am. However, I would be a better GM than the guys in Ottawa and Edmonton. Also, I'd be a far superior hockey analyst to Milbury or McGuire on NBC. But that's about as much credit as I'm willing to give myself. And now that I think about it, a lobotomized turnip would also be a superior analyst to Milbury.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If he and I had been making the picks instead of DC the Devils would have been contending already.

This is an interesting concept. The last draft Conte controlled was 2015. The Devils top picks were Zacha (6), Blackwood (42), Speers (67) and White (97). According to my notes on my rankings that year, I would have had the Devils take Barzal (6), Harkins (42), Foley (67) and Bear (97). All four of those guys were actually in my top 40, and I had Barzal ranked #5 (McDavid-Eichel-Marner-Hanifin-Barzal-Strome-Provorov-Werenski). I was writing for The Hockey Writers at the time and got a death threat for ranking Barzal ahead of Strome. Needless to say, I'm still alive.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I actually think Ray Shero is way better equipped to do this than I am. However, I would be a better GM than the guys in Ottawa and Edmonton. Also, I'd be a far superior hockey analyst to Milbury or McGuire on NBC. But that's about as much credit as I'm willing to give myself. And now that I think about it, a lobotomized turnip would also be a superior analyst to Milbury.
remind me to shake your hand next time i go to flight151

Reactions: My3Sons

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Someone we weren't expecting will drop to #17, it always happens.

Now, it's up to our scouts to analyze the situation and go with the higher rank guy that is dropping or stick to their gunz and focus on their target the might still be on the board.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Rasmus Sandin has been getting a lot of praise for his play at both ends of the rink during the playoffs. There's going to be a lot of good options in the 20's if we decide to trade down.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Considering we don't have a second or third this year and may not have a third next year, I don't see Shero looking into moving up.

If anything, we move back and acquire more picks.
I'd be open to this only if the better d-men are off the board. Which given the number of high end d-men doesn't seem likely.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Considering we don't have a second or third this year and may not have a third next year, I don't see Shero looking into moving up.

If anything, we move back and acquire more picks.

For trading down purposes, you would be looking at something like 2 picks at 30th OA for our 17th

I mean after all Steve has said here, I'm at the point where I'll be pretty pissed if they don't take Miller.
I like Miller, but is Wilde worth a bump up? Its the whole reason I posted. We have some depth at F prospects.

Someone we weren't expecting will drop to #17, it always happens.
Agreed, it won't be Wilde though. Using Stevens pick, who do you see it as?

Steven’s picks from 4-17 (top
RD E. Bouchard
RD A. Boqvist
LW B. Tkachuk
LD Q. Hughes
RW O.Wahlstrom
RD N. Dobson
RD B. Wilde
C J. Veleno
C B. Hayton
C R. Kupari
LW G. Denisenko
LW J. Farabee
LD T. Smith

Now, it's up to our scouts to analyze the situation and go with the higher rank guy that is dropping or stick to their gunz and focus on their target the might still be on the board.
Castron and Co. have done well picking but statistically speaking a 17th OA pick is about 22% chance of being top 6 F or top 4 D. And yes I know we are lean this year in picks but, the 2 picks at 30th fall to 11-16% of the same top 6/4. Castron has proved to be better than the avg. but a higher pick in a good D draft?

I am ok with taking Miller @ 17, or considering a move up for Wilde @ 13/14, but probably not back to add.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I've said for the past couple of months that I could see Joe Veleno dropping in the mid to late teen's. He got an exceptional status as a 15 year old to play in the "Q" and took some time to make his mark. He was injured in his 2nd season that stalled his learning curve and his play in Saint John wasn't bad but the expectations were higher then what he was delivering. Once he got traded to Drummondville, his play really got better but the thing that bothers me the most is that most of his points are generated on the PP.

He's a safe pick up the middle, the same way McIsaac is a safe pick on the blueline. Would I take him were he's projected to go, I wouldn't... but it doesn't mean that he's a bad prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad