GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery - 7:30 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Which I agree with and have felt/expressed for a while.

I also think that beyond Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina, the talent is a lot closer than some think.

I think you can make cases for and against just about most of the 4-12 guys.

I’m also somewhat hesitant to move assets in a deeper draft when I don’t know if there’s a huge difference between say the 9th pick and the 5th or 6th.

Of course it all depends on who the Rangers love. If they have Boqvist third, and he’s there at 6, what’s it worth to them?
Maybe the rangers try to get 2 top 12 picks? Move our 2 picks at the end of the draft to get a higher pick?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There were lots of hot rumors that they had to trade Karlsson just to try and move Ryan, that's how bad his contract was to most GM's, but we have tons of cap space, at 50% money that's 3.5M/Y we can eat that to snag Zadina. In fact, I'd even argue we could probably work out a deal to include Karlsson.

If you're re-signing Karlsson and hanging on to Ryan's cap hit, you're going to have a hell of a time re-signing all your players you've acquired over the course of a rebuild. It wouldn't be at 50%. They'd want the whole thing gone.

That's a huge move. I would have to see what the commitment is on NYR's end before passing judgement.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
There were lots of hot rumors that they had to trade Karlsson just to try and move Ryan, that's how bad his contract was to most GM's, but we have tons of cap space, at 50% money that's 3.5M/Y we can eat that to snag Zadina. In fact, I'd even argue we could probably work out a deal to include Karlsson.
I'm not sure if they'd even entertain retaining on Ryan if they were really that close to full on getting rid of his contract like 2 months ago

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Possible, though I don’t know how they do it.

I think Dallas or Florida could be potential partners, but not sure they get higher.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm sure whoever was taking it on was at 50% nobody is paying him 7M.

I think if Karlsson is coming, plenty of teams would accept Bobby Ryan's deal included.

They just have to be in a position to build around Karlsson with young cheap ELC players, i.e. not Chicago or Pittsburgh.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think if Karlsson is coming, plenty of teams would accept Bobby Ryan's deal included.

They just have to be in a position to build around Karlsson with young cheap ELC players, i.e. not Chicago or Pittsburgh.
Or VGK who have very little long-term dollars on the books, and it was VGK who the trade was almost completed with.

Reactions: haveandare

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You'd essentially be paying 2 guys like 15M (once you resign EK) that's a tough ask.
Apparently, that's kind of what held up the trade at the deadline, Vegas was the team that was going to take both of them, but they felt like taking Ryan's whole contract should bump the price down a notch on Karlsson

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Maybe the rangers try to get 2 top 12 picks? Move our 2 picks at the end of the draft to get a higher pick?

#11 and #12 are the Islanders. The Rangers don't have any history dealing with them so I'm not sure that would fly. #14 is Philadelphia now and that's kind of the same thing. More likely is Edmonton-10, Dallas-13, Florida-15, Colorado-16 and after that I think you're kind of going into another tier but New Jersey at #17 is another unlikely. Someone could fall but got to find a trading partner and you don't want to sell the farm.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You'd essentially be paying 2 guys like 15M (once you resign EK) that's a tough ask.

Karlsson will get 10M plus, so closer to 18 million.

It's not a tough ask if you consider it paying EK 14 million and Ryan 4 million. You need a team desperate for a franchise player. I could see the Oilers trading Draistaitl to make it happen, hypothetically.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hayes and Brady Tkachuk are cousins--I don't think the Rangers are going to trade Hayes to move up in the draft to pick Tkachuk. If they have Tkachuk in mind it will be someone else IMO.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
#11 and #12 are the Islanders. The Rangers don't have any history dealing with them so I'm not sure that would fly. #14 is Philadelphia now and that's kind of the same thing. More likely is Edmonton-10, Dallas-13, Florida-15, Colorado-16 and after that I think you're kind of going into another tier but New Jersey at #17 is another unlikely. Someone could fall but got to find a trading partner and you don't want to sell the farm.
Edmonton at 10 would be my target

Let's make a deal!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Edmonton at 10 would be my target

Let's make a deal!
Would our Boston Tampa and one second round pick do it?
I would do it for the Boston or Tampa pick and someone like spooner but I don't think that gets it done

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think their second is #39.
You're right, I was under the impression that the order of the draft in the 1st round (with lottery results) carried over to the following rounds, but that is not correct. We have 39, not 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad