GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery - 7:30 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Well, the way that reads, it would be either Tkachuk or Zadina, because the other names are either Dahlin and Svechnikov, or in the supposed next tier that Brooks is listing.
If we move up for Tkachuk, I’ll be pretty livid.

Zadina, I’d be OK with that. Not ecstatic or hyped, just OK.

Honestly, I’d rather just stay pat and keep our picks. MAYBE move up to the teens.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are gone 1, 2, 3 moving up a few spots from 9 is kind of moot--maybe I'd move the 9 and NJ 2nd to go to 4 or 5 but that's about it. My sense is that Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk and Bouchard are definitely not going to be around--at least one of Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom and Boqvist will and maybe two but probably not three but that's what we're looking at right now. I do think there's a chance Montreal takes Tkachuk at 3 so doing a deal with Ottawa pre-draft for the 4th is a gamble but does make some sense because I think there's a decent chance Zadina would still be on board.

Another and maybe better idea is to try to move our second 1st (26?) and earlier second (39) to try to get to somewhere between 10 and 16. Have 9--say Florida's 15 and depending on which of Boston and Tampa get to the conference finals or if Tampa wins the cup one of the last 4 picks in the first. Could be say 9, 15 and 31. We could end up with say Dobson, Kravtsov and Kaut.

The Rangers could try to move a roster player too.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I was just tossing this idea around in my head; Hayes + 9 for 3.

Feels like Montreal should add, though.
Bergevin is so desperate to save his job that he might do Hayes + one of our late first for the number 3 pick. If we do that and pick Tkachuck I will probably wanna kill myself.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Oh, I think Ottawa would. The teams I think would move picks this year are Edmonton, Chicago, Arizona, Montreal, and Ottawa. Definitely not Buffalo, Vancouver, or Detroit.
I don't think Ottawa would because they're not going to have their 1st next year, and they're probably going to trade Karlsson over the summer, and they're going to need a new player to sell to their fans that they're committed to winning. Having a Zadina step onto the team next season is more valuable to them than say Dobson + a 2nd rounder or 2

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I don't think Ottawa would because they're not going to have their 1st next year, and they're probably going to trade Karlsson over the summer, and they're going to need a new player to sell to their fans that they're committed to winning. Having a Zadina step onto the team next season is more valuable to them than say Dobson + a 2nd rounder or 2
That's fair. I was thinking more of eating Bobby Ryan's money.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I think a swap of picks with Ottawa is possible.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
That's fair. I was thinking more of eating Bobby Ryan's money.
Bobby Ryan was interviewed the day after the deadline and in the article there was a quote that somehow everyone brushed over saying that the night before the deadline he and Karlsson had their bags packed believing they'd be traded the next day, Ottawa got really close to packaging them at the deadline and they've probably had enough time to hammer out the rest of the deal to get it done in the summer if both parties are still interested

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
To OTT: NYR 2018 1R pick (9 OA)
To NYR: OTT 2018 1R pick (4 OA), Bobby Ryan 50% retianed

Rangers get Zadina
Ottawa gets either Dobson (who replaces Karlsson when he leaves) and saves $15m

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Bobby Ryan was interviewed the day after the deadline and in the article there was a quote that somehow everyone brushed over saying that the night before the deadline he and Karlsson had their bags packed believing they'd be traded the next day, Ottawa got really close to packaging them at the deadline and they've probably had enough time to hammer out the rest of the deal to get it done in the summer if both parties are still interested
There were lots of hot rumors that they had to trade Karlsson just to try and move Ryan, that's how bad his contract was to most GM's, but we have tons of cap space, at 50% money that's 3.5M/Y we can eat that to snag Zadina. In fact, I'd even argue we could probably work out a deal to include Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad