2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Svechnikov and Zadina both left shooting RW. Lack of right shooting players everywhere seems to be a trend and maybe isn't as big of a problem as some might think.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Svechnikov and Zadina both left shooting RW. Lack of right shooting players everywhere seems to be a trend and maybe isn't as big of a problem as some might think.
It matters only on the PP for me. That's the only time I care. I want one RHS D and one RHS F on each of the first two PPs. Shot selection and passing options are nice.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Only 4 RHS on the entire Russian team.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
1. ARI - Dahlin
2. BUF - Svechnikov
3. OTT - Boqvist
4. DET - Zadina
5. VAN - Tkachuk
6. FLA - Hughes
7. MTL - Wahlstrom

In the 2017 entry draft the odds for getting 4OA was 52 % for the team ending dead last. No reason to believe NHL will start a new tradition and let Coyotes get first overall. If we add Buffalo tanking and actually ending last, this means the Yotes most likely will draft 4th or 5th (with 34% and 31% probability.). So Zadina or Tkachuk, then. I am sure Dahlin will be happy in Edmonton, and Svechnikov will really enjoy it in Montreal. Or they will not, but that's how life is.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In the 2017 entry draft the odds for getting 4OA was 52 % for the team ending dead last. No reason to believe NHL will start a new tradition and let Coyotes get first overall. If we add Buffalo tanking and actually ending last, this means the Yotes most likely will draft 4th or 5th (with 34% and 31% probability.). So Zadina or Tkachuk, then. I am sure Dahlin will be happy in Edmonton, and Svechnikov will really enjoy it in Montreal. Or they will not, but that's how life is.
I don't think Bodqvist is a lock for 3. Hughes is a legitimate option as well.

rt

May 13, 2004
Heh? 31st team is still the most likely of all teams to pick first. That's regardless of how unlikely they are to pick first. Still more likely than anyone else.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Heh? 31st team is still the most likely of all teams to pick first. That's regardless of how unlikely they are to pick first. Still more likely than anyone else.

You are right, but... The probability to draft 1st is spread out. It's highest for the team ending last. You point it out, but we all know this. But if you look at what happened in the draft this year, you will see Avs had a 52% probability of getting only the fourth pick. And that was what happened. The lottery balls will not know the Avs got nothing, so it's back to square one, ie again only a 48 % probability to get a top three prospect for the worst team. (And even if it's more likely than anyone else, that's not more likely than anything else btw, the probability is just highest for the worst team. Which is not exactly the same.)

There is no point in arguing anything, as we probably (heh) agrees anyways. But to think you get Dahlin as it looks now, well, it's only a hope for it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
U can mix and match everyone but Dahlin but the top 4 for this draft looks like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
U can mix and match everyone but Dahlin but the top 4 for this draft looks like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk.

I still think Svechnikov is higher, even if his tourney hasn't been as good.

I would not touch a Russian, and I get flamed every time I say that, but much less headache with others right below him and the way it sounds not much different in talent.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I think it was the way the sentence was presented last time you brought it up @Jakey53 that brought on the flaming. I'm weary of the Russian factor as well. Nikita Tryamkin is a recent example that the risk is still, very real. I'm just hoping we don't have to choose between him ad someone else. Hopefully just clear cut Dahlin.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If Arizona picks 1st it will be Dahlin. 2nd? I can see them picking Tkachuk.

rt

May 13, 2004
Svechnikov came over is his D minus 1 year. That makes him a significantly lower flight risk. That shows a particular dedication to the NHL. Add in that his brother is now in his fifth year of NA hockey, and I'd say Svechnikov's "Russian Factor" is very low, compared to a kid still playing in Russia in his draft year with no ties to NA hockey.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I am trying to stop myself from thinking about a 1st overall pick because I know the inevitable disappointment of seeing some other team get it will suck. However, when I see Dahlin make those plays I can't help myself in hoping. Just getting a 1st overall pick means this team won SOMETHING and something positive came from the season. Especially after truly earning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad