2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Goligoski is the only player I can see traded on the roster for a 1st and he's the only one I'd want to move at the deadline. Schenn wouldn't command much, probably a 3rd rounder at best, and I'm not sure what the value would be on Rieder.

OEL/Demers
Chychrun/Hjalmarsson
Upgrade / Upgrade

The way Schenn has played, I'd rather move on and get a more capable RHD 3rd liner...KConn can move on as well and we can use Mermis as the 7th D as he makes way less mistakes than either KConn or schenn. Granted it has been in limited viewings, but it seems that he tries to keep it as simple as possible without it being obvious that he doesn't belong.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was thinking Goligoski at the deadline? Maybe Rieder?

Goligoski is only worth another similar contract unless a team that has a history with him has a desperate need AND Goligoski isn't playing like shit at the time. Rieder ain't worth shit at this rate, especially considering he's due for a new contract. Decent utility player at this point but his lack of speed due to the injury is apparent to everyone. Hjalmarsson retained is the most valuable piece the Coyotes have to trade that can be spared.

Found an interesting chart on r/hockey that shows how poorly the Coyotes drafted for a 10 period stretch. Keep in mind that players like Wheeler and Turris are boosting these numbers, so they're even more abysmal than they appear.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Goligoski is only worth another similar contract unless a team that has a history with him has a desperate need AND Goligoski isn't playing like **** at the time. Rieder ain't worth **** at this rate, especially considering he's due for a new contract. Decent utility player at this point but his lack of speed due to the injury is apparent to everyone. Hjalmarsson retained is the most valuable piece the Coyotes have to trade that can be spared.

Found an interesting chart on r/hockey that shows how poorly the Coyotes drafted for a 10 period stretch. Keep in mind that players like Wheeler and Turris are boosting these numbers, so they're even more abysmal than they appear.
For whatever reason the image was super low res on my phone so I can barely make out the words, was that only rounds 3 through 5?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
For whatever reason the image was super low res on my phone so I can barely make out the words, was that only rounds 3 through 5?

Rounds 3-9, from 03 to 2013, the Coyotes only got 100 games out of a pick less than 8% of the time, worst in the league. 4 players out of 52 picked.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is no doubting the team has been terrible at drafting. Hopefully that has changed the last 3 drafts.

Last edited:
Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There is no doubting the team has been terrible at drafting. Hopefully that hss chaged the lsst 3 drafts.
There was a point where this board collectively was better at drafting/identifying talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Rounds 3-9, from 03 to 2013, the Coyotes only got 100 games out of a pick less than 8% of the time, worst in the league. 4 players out of 52 picked.

Is that DT's fault also.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There was a point where this board collectively was better at drafting/identifying talent.

Yet, most blamed the coach for our record. As we see, it goes a little deeper than that. This franchise has been through so much bull---- over the years and now finally, we are just finding our way. Hopefully our coaching staff and management don't screw up this rebuild

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yet, most blamed the coach for our record. As we see, it goes a little deeper than that. This franchise has been through so much bull---- over the years and now finally, we are just finding our way. Hopefully our coaching staff and management don't screw up this rebuild

I hope this doesn't turn into a previous coach discussion. He's gone. It doesn't matter.

Until u win at drafting/development u will never win on the ice. The best sign things are turning around besides Kellers start is our AHL record.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope this doesn't turn into a previous coach discussion. He's gone. It doesn't matter.

Until u win at drafting/development u will never win on the ice. The best sign things are turning around besides Kellers start is our AHL record.

I didn't mean it to turn into a previous coach discussion, rather just to show that the coach gets too much blame when things go bad, and that goes for all the NHL coaches. Like you said, it all starts at the draft, and then development.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario

Swedish blueliner Rasmus Dahlin is the undisputed best player available in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. In fact, there’s no other player close to him.

The Frolunda HC blueliner is to this draft and to teams looking for an elite No. 1 defenceman what Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews were to their respective drafts as elite No. 1 centres. When you watch him play it’s easy to forget he’s just 17 because his command of the game is so complete. - Craig Button

Getting salty already knowing we'll lose the lottery.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Dahlin is on a plane of his own right now. I don't love having a defenseman first overall, but he seems ready to step in and contribute immediately.

Svechnikov is sturdily at #2 despite the injury. I am eager to see how he looks upon his return.

It's a mess from there at this point. If the draft were tonight, I'd probably take Tkachuk at this point, but I don't feel happy about it. Boqvist, Zadina and Hughes are very much in the conversation, and I like Oliver Wahlstrom, Joel Farabee, Ty Smith, and Jett Woo a lot, too.

Merkley, Bouchard, and Noel are a few others I've got my eyes on, but I need to catch up on the European prospects. Lunderstrom and Eggenberger both look to have sleeper potential.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wouldn't. I want Dahlin or Svechnikov or I'm rage quitting the NHL forever.
Meh, there's no way we ever pick top 3 ever again with the current format, tkachuk as the 4th guy off the board would be cool.

Reactions: CC96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad