2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It was annoying the whole time. I was absolutely losing my mind over it. Most everyone around here was begging me to just shut up about it. He should've been in junior where he belonged. He should've been learning to be a dominant offensive performer. Now he's always going to be a plumber.

Crouse wasn't a scorer in junior and was never going to dominate in the points department and I don't think anyone thought he would dominate in the point department in the NHL. That is not his game. He is a power forward with speed who likes to hit. If you want to call that a plumber so be it. I do believe Crouse was drafted much to high but he will still be a valuable player, just not top six. Why he is in the AHL now with Rinaldo on suspension is beyond me.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's only a matter of time until Buffalo passes Arizona in the lottery standings. Look how bad Buffalo is right now. Then take away Lehner and Kane.

As noted in another thread, Buffalo has 12 pts since Dec 4, while the Yotes have gathered 4. Trend favors AZ finishing 31st.

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
Been to a few Frölunda games this year (not nearly as many as I would've wanted) but that kid is ridiculously good. But I dare not get my hopes up on getting #1

Reactions: iSophagus

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
HV71 have a 17 year old center named David Gustafsson. Good sized kid, left shot ... best I can gather he's split time with the senior team and the under-20 team this season. Didn't do anything amazing but he held his own against Djurgardens on Saturday, aggressive in the offensive zone, stickhandled pretty well. Draftsite has him projected as a 3rd rounder. That's all I've got but in a sample size of 1 game, I give the kid a rating of: "I noticed him."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Read an article where Zadina's coach was comparing him to a shark. Always circling around, looking for a deadly scoring opportunity. I noticed that at the WJC and have since in his highlights. He's not much for driving the play from what I've seen but he seems to work hard to get into scoring positions and his shot looks pretty lethal. He strikes me as a complimentary player, but the most valuable kind of complimentary player. I'm also liking some of the high character quotes that have been coming out about him. Chayka seems to place a lot of value on drafting good people first.

Reactions: iSophagus

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, he is gonna drop. Maybe to the late second round.

Thinking about these kids that come along every few years with major character red flags, it doesn't seem like many work out. Getzlaf was considered a pretty big problem, if I recall correctly. He fell out of the top ten as a result. So there's one. Anthony Duclair is another that seems to be doing okay despite his troubles, but hasn't exactly had the smoothest start. Steve Downie fell and never really panned out. Anthony DeAngelo is a still a work in progress but it's not trending well, and is another example of a 1st half of 1st round talent that fell in the draft.. Akim Aliu took a draft year tumble and never recovered. Kyle Beach hung onto his top draft status but only because Chicago took a gamble earlier than many would have. They obviously regretted it. Kiril Kabanov was supposed to be a top 10 pick and fell due to character problems and he's a total bust. Same for Robbie Schremp. Dustin Byfuglien was never considered a 1st rounder but went much later than he would have if he wasn't fat and seemingly unfocused/not dedicated to his hockey career.

These are just a handful I can remember off the top of my head. What are some other examples? Especially of guys who actually worked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad