2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
No. Dahlin is 10 miles ahead.
I don't think I said what you think I meant.

Dahlin is far and away clear cut #1.

If the Coyotes draft 2nd I can see them drafting Tkachuks over sechnikov or the Czech.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
We all know that we are picking 4th in this draft .. ( lets not kid ourselves ) Hypothetically , if we do get 1st overall ... do we keep the pick or trade? I know the consensus is Dahlin is the number 1.. I haven't seen much of him - just the 1 game against Canada. And there was not enough there for me to be as hyped as everyone else. I have only seen few highlights of him.

But curious what could we get if we traded the pick?

obviously a couple of options... trade down or trade outright for an established player.

Reactions: Dasyotesfan92

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We all know that we are picking 4th in this draft .. ( lets not kid ourselves ) Hypothetically , if we do get 1st overall ... do we keep the pick or trade? I know the consensus is Dahlin is the number 1.. I haven't seen much of him - just the 1 game against Canada. And there was not enough there for me to be as hyped as everyone else. I have only seen few highlights of him.

But curious what could we get if we traded the pick?

obviously a couple of options... trade down or trade outright for an established player.
Keep the pick. Dahlin is a franchise D man.

If not trading down (still top 5) u are looking at a teams top A+ prospect and potentially multiple mid to late firsts.

If trading down you are adding an A prospect along with the pick. I wouldn't trade past 5. My top 5 is Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Dahlin is amazing. I also like Zedina. The rest I do not know enough about but I really hope we do stop any anti Russian bias if the franchise has had any (not sure about that, it might more be due to lack of resources to scout in Russia)

We have not been looking/drafting any of these russian guys for years because of alleged character issues. Wheeler, Turris, Duclair are not russian though, yet...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kevin Allen had a recent column where he makes the case for taking Tkachuk at 2.

If we fall to 3 or 4, I hope we try to move up to take Tkachuk.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Only Dahlin can save us. Our organization is a mess
Nah we'll ruin him too. Remember way back, Yandle was our hope for the future? Then OEL emerged, we traded Yandle, and OEL was the future. As he's started to accumulate injuries and apparently not give a shit, domi and duke were the future. They suck now, or will be traded. Now Keller and Chychrun are the future. In two years something similar will happen to them, and whoever we got in this draft will be the future. We ruin everything nice that we get, but generally have at least one talented player to keep stringing us along. Time is a flattened circle, we are in coycosa now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murf and rt

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Button's latest rankings are out.

Top 5: Dahlin, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Zadina.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd really like another first rounder. I'm just not sure how we can get one outside of trading Hjalmarsson. And he may not even get one considering his injuries this year.

Giving up the 32nd overall pick in order to play Crouse last year is really annoying right now.

Reactions: Name Nameless

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd really like another first rounder. I'm just not sure how we can get one outside of trading Hjalmarsson. And he may not even get one considering his injuries this year.

Giving up the 32nd overall pick in order to play Crouse last year is really annoying right now.

Raanta + something might get you a late first if Raanta keeps playing well and a team is desperate for a goalie.

hbk said in the other thread there's a drop off after 5, so it might be worthwhile to trade back if we end up in that 5-7 range due to Coyote lottery luck + a slight improvement in the standings.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's only a matter of time until Buffalo passes Arizona in the lottery standings. Look how bad Buffalo is right now. Then take away Lehner and Kane.

Reactions: iSophagus

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
And a 1D. And some solid wingers. Lehner's save percentage is solid too. Plus they're in the worst division in hockey.

Reactions: iSophagus

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

It was annoying the whole time. I was absolutely losing my mind over it. Most everyone around here was begging me to just shut up about it. He should've been in junior where he belonged. He should've been learning to be a dominant offensive performer. Now he's always going to be a plumber.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
I'm not sold on Zadina. Most of his goals came when he was in static position or had plenty of time to prepare his relaese. He was very average in other areas of game. Though I watched only 1 full game of Zadina vz Russia, others partly. Based on WJC Tkachuk much better and safer pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad