OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I just don't see it. People still talk about the Tuck Rule, Dez catching/not catching the ball, etc. This just seems to be the type of thing that's going to be around for a very long time.

You're right

The non PI call is what's been most talked about, more the the SB itself.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just don't see it. People still talk about the Tuck Rule, Dez catching/not catching the ball, etc. This just seems to be the type of thing that's going to be around for a very long time.

talk about it every now and then, sure.

Plus the Tuck Rule was basically the start to the Patriots greatness. Thats a huge deal.

My point is people won't be obsessing over it like they have been

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
it was 6 days ago

in a few months and once the new season starts, no one will really be talking about it anymore

Words like “no one” are dismissive. I’m sure the overwhelming majority of football fans will move on but will bring it up in conversations about the poor quality of the refs when their teams get screwed over by the refs. Oh and the Saints have a decent amount of very very passionate fans who will be beating the drum for a long time. Some of them are still bitter about bountygate which pales in comparison to this for Who Dat nation. And I’m guessing the challenges will be expanded to include certain non calls and that will keep this alive a bit longer when that change is discussed.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
in a few months and once the new season starts, no one will really be talking about it anymore

Well, duh, because the seasonal relevancy will be lost. But it will not be forgotten. Ever.

I believe it's likely the worst blown call in the history of American sports, from the standpoint of impact. We literally have the "wrong" team in the Superbowl now, and I cannot recall anything like this happening before on the same "level" so to speak.

This really is a nightmare for the NFL, and God help them if the Rams win.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I believe it's likely the worst blown call in the history of American sports, from the standpoint of impact. We literally have the "wrong" team in the Superbowl now, and I cannot recall anything like this happening before on the same "level" so to speak.

Don Dekinger in the 1985 World Series...that's the gold standard.

Reactions: Patrik26

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Well, duh, because the seasonal relevancy will be lost. But it will not be forgotten. Ever.

This really is a nightmare for the NFL, and God help them if the Rams win.

Talk about hyperbole...yikes

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Hull skate yeah I'd count that. The Jeff Maier one was bad but not all that impactful in the end, the Yankees were beating the Orioles that year anyway even if they somehow lost that Game 1. Already referred to one above. Five wasn't American sports history, and though borderline scandalous it wasn't a Final or semi. The sham at the Olympics, that's one I'd put over the 1985 World Series, Hull and Saints-Rams because it was an international scandal.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The Hull skate wasn't a blown call, it was a horrendously bad rule. The Jeff Maier one was bad but not all that impactful in the end, the Yankees were beating the Orioles that year anyway even if they somehow lost that Game 1. Already referred to one above. Five wasn't American sports history, and though borderline scandalous it wasn't a Final or semi. The sham at the Olympics, that's one I'd put over the 1985 World Series and Saints-Rams.

The Hull one absolutely was a horrendous blown call. That was the rule during that season and despite it being used to call off goals all season, the on ice officials ignored it during the most important play all season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Hull one absolutely was a horrendous blown call. That was the rule during that season and despite it being used to call off goals all season, the on ice officials ignored it during the most important play all season.

Oh you're right...I amend that, for some reason I was conflating two different things trying to remember the salient details :P

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I figure the lure of that call will have legs. It was a terrible call at a critical point.

My issue is that ref's seem to be held to a different standard. We see players make terrible plays, (The minnesota game last year) coaches make terrible calls(Pete Carrol calling a pass play on goal line), and while these are acknowledged as terrible, certainly playing into the outcome of the game, they are not thought to ruin the game.

Yet a ref makes a terrible call, and we hear "the league needs to do something".

And sure the league should always try to improve officiating, but we should acknowledge that these guys are human(the least paid humans on the field mind you) and they, like the players and the coaches, are going to make mistakes.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I figure the lure of that call will have legs. It was a terrible call at a critical point.

My issue is that ref's seem to be held to a different standard. We see players make terrible plays, (The minnesota game last year) coaches make terrible calls(Pete Carrol calling a pass play on goal line), and while these are acknowledged as terrible, certainly playing into the outcome of the game, they are not thought to ruin the game.

Yet a ref makes a terrible call, and we hear "the league needs to do something".

And sure the league should always try to improve officiating, but we should acknowledge that these guys are human(the least paid humans on the field mind you) and they, like the players and the coaches, are going to make mistakes.

I think there is an underlying element of paranoia about ref calls that the player and coach mistakes don’t have. There are a fair number of Who Dats who appear to genuinely believe the league is out to get the Saints because Goodell hates Sean Payton. To make it worse there eveidevtly were attempts by the league to get Saints ownership to can Payton after the bountygate scandal. Couple that with the proliferation o sports betting and there is an air of uncertainty about the way the league tells the refs to call the games. Look no further than last year’s pair of ATL/NO games. The first one in ATL had something like a 13-1 penalty ratio in favor of ATL. The second was reversed. Watching the second game it was pretty obvious the refs were making up for the prior game. It was a joke and both fan bases of asked would probably see it the same way.

For what it is worth my reaction to the no call was not that the league had an agenda to get LA to the SB but that the call was “refs bet on the game bad”.

I expect there will be some changes based on this mess. Over the long haul football will slowly lose popularity from factors well beyond this sort of scandal but this won’t help bring in new fans or keep any old ones.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Jorge Orta
Hull skate in crease
Jeffrey Maier
1972 Olympic basketball
Maradona hand ball

That's just off the top of my head.

The Hull one is the only one I can put in the same league.

The Maier thing was Game 1 of a 7 game series that the Yankees won 4-1.

The 72 Olympic outcome was not the result of a "blown call", but 3 consecutive blown calls, and was almost certainly not even "blown calls" to begin with , but intentional.

Hand of God was terrible but wasn't a semifinal. The Henry handball that advanced France instead of Ireland also comes to mind as a similar awful play.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
There are a fair number of Who Dats who appear to genuinely believe the league is out to get the Saints because Goodell hates Sean Payton. To make it worse there eveidevtly were attempts by the league to get Saints ownership to can Payton after the bountygate scandal.

That's ridiculous.

I saw Benjamin Watson of the Saints interviewed on Fox News, and he believes the play happened because the NFL put out the word to not make any of these playoff games decided by "judgement call" penalties. Given that's been a criticism of the NFL for a few years now, that seems like a more logical potential explanation, that the league was trying its best to swallow-the-whistle at the end.

My3Sons

Sponsor
That's ridiculous.

I saw Benjamin Watson of the Saints interviewed on Fox News, and he believes the play happened because the NFL put out the word to not make any of these playoff games decided by "judgement call" penalties. Given that's been a criticism of the NFL for a few years now, that seems like a more logical potential explanation, that the league was trying its best to swallow-the-whistle at the end.

You don’t live with them. I never said or suggested they were right but there are a decent number who still beat that drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad