OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It’s just too easy now to score points. It’s video game football.

A new phrase has entered the football commentator's lexicon the last few years.

It's used late in the 4th Quarter of a close game:

"ABC team has to be careful, they don't want to score too soon."

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
People who think that was a great game are probably also basketball fans.

Sadly, this is becoming the way of the NFL. We need MOAR scoring, and we're going to make defense "illegal" until we get it.

Sadly, both the NBA and NFL have become entertainment. Competition is non-existent.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It would be one thing if this happened once in a while but it’s all the time now. 43-40, 45-35, those are scores just from the past few weeks. Even the freaking Giants played a 38-35 game this week. Last night was just the natural progression of how this whole season of juiced offenses is going. Packers-Rams was infinitely better as a football game a few weeks back, at least you had attempted defense in that game. But you can count the number of good defenses in the NFL on maybe one or two fingers now. The Bears with Mack and ? I thought the Titans were one till Luck destroyed them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And the other indicator of how stupid the offense is in the NFL are people actually nitpicking Mahomes after a game they put up 51 points. Yeah there were a couple bad turnovers but you should still win 99.9% of the time if you put up 51, come on now :laugh:

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
And the other indicator of how stupid the offense is in the NFL are people actually nitpicking Mahomes after a game they put up 51 points. Yeah there were a couple bad turnovers but you should still win 99.9% of the time if you put up 51, come on now :laugh:

Soon enough, the NFL will institute DPG - Do-overs Per Game where each team is allotted 2 DPG. Turn the ball over, use a DPG. Do I hear 73-70 final scores?

EDIT: DPG Amendment - if you score after using a DPG, you get another.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I still will always prefer college football over the NFL. No way anyone could ever change my opinion on that.

I would actually rather go watch a good high school football game than an NFL game

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
In this case I’m with you and the rest of the get off my lawn crowd, there’s nothing ‘fun’ about a 54-51 game unless you have fantasy players on either team. Just consider this...in the mid ‘90’s the Bills and Niners had a great Jim Kelly-Steve Young duel where neither team punted - and the score was 34-30. And that’s with two HOF’ers in their prime, not a second and third-year QB. It’s just too easy now to score points. It’s video game football.

Did you WATCH it?

I thought both teams executed well, both defenses made big plays. Both QBs were awesome.

It wasn't Arena league - it was two legit good teams just frigging slugging it out.

Reactions: Maine Fan

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm not surprised that scoring is up in the NFL as they have generally neutered defenses.

I'm still in the opinion that a score should be important. It should be hard to put 7 points on the board. I always felt a 24-21 game was a good balance between good offense and good defense.

What if every NHL game ends 8-6 or something like that? If a goal is happening every 5 minutes of game action, what is so special about getting one past the goalie? The drama of ALMOST getting a goal builds that cathartic release when one is scored. Playoff OT is no longer as agonizing as it should be.

It turns into basketball. You just clap when someone gets a basket. The last two minutes are the only thing that really matters.

For me, it's why I've come to enjoy soccer more than in recent years.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I still will always prefer college football over the NFL. No way anyone could ever change my opinion on that.

I would actually rather go watch a good high school football game than an NFL game
maybe two high ranked teams playing

other than that college football is a joke, 90% of games arent even a contest

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
maybe two high ranked teams playing

other than that college football is a joke, 90% of games arent even a contest

It depends what you value, or what you consider entertainment. If you like the chance of a big underdog winning, or seeing guys playing strictly for the love of the game, college is probably more entertaining. If you want to see the game played at it's highest possible level, the NFL is probably more entertaining.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It turns into basketball. You just clap when someone gets a basket. The last two minutes are the only thing that really matters.

For me, it's why I've come to enjoy soccer more than in recent years.

And that's all I watched last night, the last two minutes. I knew what kind of game this was going to be, and it was. Everyone knew it, that's why Vegas took a bath to the tune of millions from everyone betting the over :laugh: It's also why it was the highest rated MNF game in a long time...it appeals to the casual/fantasy type fan that the league caters to now.

That doesn't mean I'm a huge soccer fan either though...for the World Cup and WC qualifying that kind of game is fine but watching something where nothing happens for most of 90 minutes can get a bit tedious for league games. There's gotta be some happy medium there. Thing is if soccer was high-scoring it'd still be less than two hours long, but when baseball and football gets high scoring the games also take four hours. Heck even when it's low scoring baseball can take four hours sometimes with all the pitching changes.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I really enjoyed that game last night but that's part due to the fact I cheer for the Jaguars and have watched talented QB's like Byron Leftwich, David Garrard, Blaine Gabbert, and Blake Bortles the entire time

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
And that's all I watched last night, the last two minutes. I knew what kind of game this was going to be, and it was. Everyone knew it, that's why Vegas took a bath to the tune of millions from everyone betting the over :laugh: It's also why it was the highest rated MNF game in a long time...it appeals to the casual/fantasy type fan that the league caters to now.

That doesn't mean I'm a huge soccer fan either though...for the World Cup and WC qualifying that kind of game is fine but watching something where nothing happens for most of 90 minutes can get a bit tedious for league games. There's gotta be some happy medium there. Thing is if soccer was high-scoring it'd still be less than two hours long, but when baseball and football gets high scoring the games also take four hours. Heck even when it's low scoring baseball can take four hours sometimes with all the pitching changes.

BINGO! Defense-dominated, low scoring games don't appeal to the short attention span viewer and fantasy players.

Reactions: tr83

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
that game last night had plenty of big defensive plays. Both teams scored a defensive TD, Donald wreaking havoc, etc.

The issue is that the refs are very inconsistent when it comes to defensive holding and PI calls. A defensive back can only do so much to defend against a WR. A pass rush is about the only thing a defense can do and even then the QB can only be hit from thigh to mid chest and a defensive player can’t drive through or land on the QB.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I like going to soccer games more than I like watching them on TV. I guess it's just like hockey. You get an idea that the game on the field is faster than on TV. It helps that fans are FANS. Some of these guys just go bananas for 90 minutes. It makes it fun.

The issue is that the refs are very inconsistent when it comes to defensive holding and PI calls. A defensive back can only do so much to defend against a WR. A pass rush is about the only thing a defense can do and even then the QB can only be hit from thigh to mid chest and a defensive player can’t drive through or land on the QB.

I wish refs would be more consistent and just as unforgiving to offenses. OPI should cripple an offense. Either 15 yd penalty OR loss of down.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
BINGO! Defense-dominated, low scoring games don't appeal to the short attention span viewer and fantasy players.

The thing is - the defenses scored three of the touchdowns and set up several others by forcing turnovers. If it wasn't for some really outstanding throws by Goff and Mahomes, and those two guys using their wheels - the defenses really ruled the day. It wasn't like a blown-coverage fest - there were quite a few really good throws. Those two guys can really hum it.

I'm <sadly> old enough to remember the Fouts/Strock AFC playoff game. THAT felt a little like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad