OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
In Monmouth County, Ocean Twp. I am looking for a good sports bar for watching out of state football games. Also would like the place to have good food.

Any suggestions, thanks

Go Devils

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is this the thread where we laugh at the fact that Nick Saban is such a bad coach that he has to coach children because he cannot coach men and his grasp of football is no better than any average coach so he needs overwhelming talent to win? I’m ready to participate in that thread discussion.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Speaking of bad coaches, I can't wait for Bowles to go. I gave him a chance, but the guy is clearly in over his head.

Really enjoyed Bart Scott going off in the postgame Sunday on Bowles saying "we still needed to get turnovers" when the defense played excellent and the only TD allowed was on a pick 6.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Speaking of bad coaches, I can't wait for Bowles to go. I gave him a chance, but the guy is clearly in over his head.

Really enjoyed Bart Scott going off in the postgame Sunday on Bowles saying "we still needed to get turnovers" when the defense played excellent and the only TD allowed was on a pick 6.

I didn't watch or read Bowles entire statement but that has to be out of context, right? 0 td's, 6 points, and 139 yards through the air and he threw the D under the bus? He can't be that dumb.

:huh:

Edit: just watched it and Bart Scott was absolutely correct. I'd be pissed if I was on that D.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I didn't watch or read Bowles entire statement, but that has to be out of context, right? 0 td's, 6 points, and 139 yards through the air and he through the D under the bus? He can't be that dumb.

:huh:
The quote I heard was(and I'm paraphrasing a bit) "we lost the turnover battle 4-0".

I didn't hear him say specifically we needed, in this game, to create some turnovers. Which he may have said, but I think what he was ultimately trying to do was protect Darnold, and say we lost as a team.

And whether he phrased that correctly or not, let's not forget that it was his defense, that played so well.

His error was not going to McCown at half. Something I'm sure no Jet fan wanted. But it's something they will get, via Darnold sprained ankle, this weekend.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The quote I heard was(and I'm paraphrasing a bit) "we lost the turnover battle 4-0".

I didn't hear him say specifically we needed, in this game, to create some turnovers. Which he may have said, but I think what he was ultimately trying to do was protect Darnold, and say we lost as a team.

And whether he phrased that correctly or not, let's not forget that it was his defense, that played so well.

His error was not going to McCown at half. Something I'm sure no Jet fan wanted. But it's something they will get, via Darnold sprained ankle, this weekend.

His real error is continuing to trot out an injured center who can't snap the ball properly right now. Not that it completely absolves Darnold from his game, because he played poorly, but how do you not take out a guy struggling that mightily to simply snap the ball straight?

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah that gave me Rex vibes, I remember Rex being similarly perfectionist with the D at times when the offense was sucking wind and it fostered resentment from the D.

His real error is continuing to trot out an injured center who can't snap the ball properly right now. Not that it completely absolves Darnold from his game, because he played poorly, but how do you not take out a guy struggling that mightily to simply snap the ball straight?

And then compounding it after by saying he was removed because of injury, not performance. Well the injury was hindering his performance snapping the ball...a blind person could see this THREE WEEKS AGO!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wow the Jets are so bad they're laughable. Guess the D's laying down this week after Todd's stupidly critical comments after last week's game. The Bills already have a season high worth of points offensively...in the middle of the second quarter.

Actually not quite yet, thought one of the Bills' TD's against the Vikings were special teams, but they'll match that total by halftime.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Between the Jets, the Devils and waiting for <checks notes> the Mets and their agent GM, real great sports year for me.

Wouldn't shock me if they canned Todd in-season which is almost never done. But with the bye coming up this is DEFCON 1. Not that they really have anyone on the staff I care to see in an audition, Bates's star fizzled out. **** let McCown be a player-coach, it can't be any worse. This is Kotite type bad.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The Saints have put up 45 on the road outdoors in 40 degree weather through three quarters. And CIN isn’t a bad team. I don’t think NO has punted once. If NO finishes with 12-13 wins and Brees continues to play well this is the year he should get a lifetime achievement award MVP.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Saints have put up 45 on the road outdoors in 40 degree weather through three quarters. And CIN isn’t a bad team. I don’t think NO has punted once. If NO finishes with 12-13 wins and Brees continues to play well this is the year he should get a lifetime achievement award MVP.

Who Dat

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Theres a real possibility of the giants and jets selecting 2 and 3 again. I saw Darnold taking a while to acclimate to the pro game and didn't think starting him from game 1 was a good idea, but not this dumpster fire display from the coaches.

The race to the bottom bowl brought to you by espn and sponsored by fleet saline enema kits will be watchable only to fans with first class tickets aboard flight 187 departing for tanksville at 8:15.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah that gave me Rex vibes, I remember Rex being similarly perfectionist with the D at times when the offense was sucking wind and it fostered resentment from the D.

The Rex and Bowels experience (among others) has convinced me that if you are drafting a QB in the top 10 you have to pair them with a head coach from the offensive side of the ball.

Bowels should have been fired last year when it became apparent they were going to draft a qb.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Rex and Bowels experience (among others) has convinced me that if you are drafting a QB in the top 10 you have to pair them with a head coach from the offensive side of the ball.

Bowels should have been fired last year when it became apparent they were going to draft a qb.

It'd be nice to try AN offensive coach period. We haven't had a legit offensive coach as the head guy since <checks notes> BRUCE COSLET. More and more you need an offensive mind in the current NFL. Unless you're Darth Hoodie.

1994 - Pete Carroll (defensive coordinator)
1995-96 - Rich Kotite (non-legit offensive coach)
1997-99 - Parcells (defensive coach)
2000 - Al Groh (defensive coach)
2001-05 - Herm Edwards (defensive coach)
2006-08 - Eric Mangini (defensive coach)
2009-14 - Rex Ryan (defensive coach)
2015-18 - Todd Bowles (defensive coach)

My3Sons

Sponsor

The last going QB they had any success with was Sanchez who benefitted from a good defense and running game. To me that’s the recipe for young QB success. Look at Wilson in SEA. As the defense and running game decayed so did he. I think Wentz in PHI also benefits from playing with a solid run game and defense and also from the Brady effect of playing against high school teams in division six times per year. Mahomes is the young QB who is following the blueprint you suggest and it is certainly working well. I’m sure there are multiple paths to young QB success but I’m not sure the Jets understand any of them.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Eagles about to lose their 5th game by one score or less, and this is another one on Pederson by dumb coaching decisions and riverboat gambling. He's cost them at least 2 wins this year, and that's being charitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->