OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Disagree.

The Giants would be far better off with a young, stud QB, than a young, stud RB. At this point, if the Giants win a few more games this season their future could be SCREWED.

There are 12 teams this year with 2 to 4 wins right now. Not gonna be so easy to finish poor enough to land a top 3 pick and a franchise QB this season.

Bad-football.gif

The Jets and Cards are better off?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus if the Browns did draft Barkley at 1 they'd have to hope and pray that Allen or Rosen would be their franchise QB at 4 cause I don't think even the Giants would have passed on Darnold with Barkley off the board, and the Jets would have taken Baker. If you're the Browns would you rather have: Barkley, Allen/Rosen and some defensive player in the 2nd round or Mayfield, Denzel Ward and Nick Chubb?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
To put it in perspective how positively screwed the Giants are at QB, despite taking a RB at #2, their backup QB is a 31 year old who has thrown 14 passes in his entire NFL career.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The Giants as it stands, and things may change would have to trade with either Arizona, the Jets or San Fran to take Herbert. If he's there for the Raiders to take, they're taking him

The Jets and Cards are better off?

Much

Neither Buffalo, Arizona, Jets, or Cleveland are trading you their QB's for Barkley

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Giants as it stands, and things may change would have to trade with either Arizona, the Jets or San Fran to take Herbert. If he's there for the Raiders to take, they're taking him

Much

Neither Buffalo, Arizona, Jets, or Cleveland are trading you their QB's for Barkley

LOL if you really believe that, that's not true.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
why would the Cardinals trade Rosen for Barkley when they already have David Johnson...?
Cleveland had a chance to pick Barkley and passed. Enough said.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Giants will be terrible next year as well, and at least the year after that.
Manning isn't going to be getting any better at 38 or 39 years old.

I really dont think it can be overstated what a terrible decision it was taking Barkley in the draft, even if it ends up he's marginally the best player after all's said & done.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The Giants will be terrible next year as well, and at least the year after that.

I really dont think it can be overstated what a terrible decision it was taking Barkley in the draft, even if it ends up he's marginally the best player after all's said & done.

The Giants can be salvaged though if they obtain and hit on Herbert and if they fire Shurmur. If you're the Giants you can't worry about the optics of firing another coach so soon. You've seen enough already to know he's not the long term solution so why drag it into 2019?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To put it in perspective how positively screwed the Giants are at QB, despite taking a RB at #2, their backup QB is a 31 year old who has thrown 14 passes in his entire NFL career.
Who cares about the backup QB. Very few teams have a good QB waiting in the wings.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Your assumption though is that Darnold or whoever else is going to be good.

I also think you are underestimating how bad the Giants O-line was to start the year. The starting right side of the line was released by midseason. Nate Solder was gawd awful for the first 9 games or so. Hernandez? He's had some growing pains for sure.

It has stabilized a bit, Brown looks like a good pickup and Wheeler has been significantly better then Flowers. While Solder's play has looked better as well.

If that group can come together, or maybe they bring in a player to improve a spot, then yeah Eli could show improvement next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Who cares about the backup QB. Very few teams have a good QB waiting in the wings.

Teams which plan accordingly and want to make the playoffs and win the Superbowl. Most teams have at least a non-LULZ, serviceable backup. The Giants dont.

Your assumption though is that Darnold or whoever else is going to be good.

I also think you are underestimating how bad the Giants O-line was to start the year.

Oh no, I'm fully aware. It's magnificent. But that's a far easier fix than finding a franchise QB under your couch cushions.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Teams which plan accordingly and want to make the playoffs and win the Superbowl. Most teams have at least a non-LULZ, serviceable backup. The Giants dont.

Oh no, I'm fully aware. It's magnificent. But that's a far easier fix than finding a franchise QB under your couch cushions.
I know Philly happened last year, Giants in 1990 with Hostetler, but in general if you lose your starter, your done. I know Bridgewater is a decent looking QB, but if Brees goes down do we think New Orleans is legit Super Bowl threat? Goff in LA. Mahomes in KC. If those guys go down, what happens to the chances of those teams.

And more to the point does KC have a backup QB who they will hand the team over to for 10 years if something happens to Mahomes? I don't even know who the backup QB is in KC, but I doubt he's any good.

So whoever the backup QB for the Giants is pretty irrelevant. The question is, when do you draft a guy to take over? If the Giants really thought Darnold, or Rosen were legit franchise QB's I think they would have drafted them. The fact that they had Barkley rated higher says something about those QB's.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't like what I'm watching so far

Just turned it on. SMH. Figures Dallas would catch the Saints wounded, the fact it was the Eagles that injured some of their players for Dallas makes it saltier.

I still think the Saints win. This game screams "halftime adjustments" to me.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Still dont understand why if the refs are wrong, and you win the challenge, you still only get 1 for the entire game, and you're not OUT of challenges.

Shouldnt you get to challenge until you're wrong and the refs are correct?

What exactly is the intent of that rule, to not embarrass the refs too much in one game is the only thing I can figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad