2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The public funding of stadiums needs to end, completely agree, along with other corporate welfare that they get. That's what annoys me about it. Owners should should cover costs with their own money and debt, fans just shouldn't expect them to lose money by signing players they can't afford. If they can't afford to simply run a team, even on a reduced payroll, then they shouldn't own a team. I'm not sure how many are looking for empathy, but they shouldn't receive any. Even if they lose money, none of us are forcing them into bad business decisions.

It's disgusting what some owners do when they try to hold cities hostage into giving them great tax breaks or raising public money.
The important thing is everyone realizes there are issues here. Hopefully they get resolved without us fans suffering.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The important thing is everyone realizes there are issues here. Hopefully they get resolved without us fans suffering.
Unfortunately, I think the anger is misguided and the only issue getting attention is the stars not getting the massive deals like they were used to, which isn't really an issue IMO. Hopefully a work stoppage isn't in the future.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Teams don’t have to pay the players for their prime years of production because of the ridiculous service time, contract renewal, and arbitration system, which is by far the worst in sports for the players. Now they don’t want to pay for their prior production because of the garbage years they’re stuck with in the age 34+ years. So basically they want prime production for peanuts and then bargain free agent deals. Something needs to change.

Also I’m a huge fan of some of these rules being discussed. Expand the rosters to 26 but limit pitchers to 12 spots. Lower the September call up insanity to just 28 spots. Force pitches to face three batters unless they end an inning, please for the love of god. All positive steps to speed up the game.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
For me, players are overpaid. I get they're entertainers and sports is a business now but no way does someone who hits a ball for a living, no way should he make as much money as these players make.

Sports are a multi-billion dollar industry and the money has to go somewhere. I'd rather the ones providing the entertainment get the money than the already billionaire owners just keep it all.

That's why I always hate the "Can't believe Athletes make x, but teachers (or whoever) only make y" yea teachers or whatever profession might be underpaid but it's an apples to oranges comparison. Baseball players aren't taking money out of their pockets. It's just economics.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
No, no it's not, but you should also noticed I used the word pissing match. The whining back and forth, I don't take sides on that. I'm on the players side to get to free agency quicker, and the owners side for avoiding the super long-term deals.

I wouldn't say I'm on the owner's side for the latter, necessarily. I'm all for the players getting paid and really don't care about the cash payment. What I care about how it's going to effect my team when they have a 38 year old 5 years passed his prime making 30 million dollars and providing negative WAR. And I think GMs are realizing that too.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
In naming news, BB&T Bank bought and will merge with SunTrust Bank. They will go under a yet-to-be named bank so SunTrust Park will be no more.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seems pretty pointless to make any projections with several FA's left to sign and camps coming

They should wait on projecting wins until end of spring training when teams set rosters and season is about to begin

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Your team has played that way for decades. I think we all have a personal preference for whatever league our favorite team is in.
True, that's why I'm not too attached to it like others. I know it'll inevitably go that route. I've lived in KC for almost 5 years now, so usually not a great example of what good AL baseball looks like lol.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida

zf1QBjJ.gif

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Heard about the disabled list name being changed. Heard it was because of people with disabilities being offended by it. I have a disability, I advocate for more rights for people with disabilities. The name of that list (Disabled List) never bothered me in the slightest.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad