2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Something got to give soon. I think Harper or Machado sign a short term deal and take their chances in the next off season or 2.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It is crazy that they have signed or that Keuchel hasn't signed or Kimbrel hasn't signed. Keuchel is pretty overrated IMO and won't have a great future, but still. There needs to be some sort of pressure for these guys to sign. Either teams need to feel like they need to make offers or players need to be more realistic.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Something got to give soon. I think Harper or Machado sign a short term deal and take their chances in the next off season or 2.

I think that would still be foolish on their part. A huge injury would cost them tens of millions.

Nolan Arenado, Paul Goldschmidt, etc. (upper tier players that are free agents after 2019) should be paying close attention. If they're offered a huge deal during the season, they should probably take it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

No chance. If they don't get the deals they want they'll just sign the best longterm deal they can but will have an opt out in there somewhere. Why would you sign a 2 year deal when you can say an 8 year deal with an opt out after 2?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Anderson starts 2-3 games then hits the dl for 2-3 weeks. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Guy is unreliable and not very good. Assume he serves as nothing more than a cheap insurance policy/long guy.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is crazy that they have signed or that Keuchel hasn't signed or Kimbrel hasn't signed. Keuchel is pretty overrated IMO and won't have a great future, but still. There needs to be some sort of pressure for these guys to sign. Either teams need to feel like they need to make offers or players need to be more realistic.

I want to play on a contender.

I want to play on a contender and make the most money I can possibly get.

I want to play on a contender, make the most money I can possibly get, and have it be over a really long period of time.

I want a bidding war between the top teams where I make the most money I can possibly get, and have it be over a really long period of time.... and then also give me more money and an opt out clause.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Kuechel's another good name still out there. Such a great quality of players left on the market. Got to think something gives soon.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Something will give whenever Scott Boras lets it give. He’s been playing these games for years. He knows he’s holding up the market but doesn’t care.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Closers have lost a bit of importance the last couple years, teams just don't want to spend stupid money (aside from Chapman and I guess Melancon) on them. Especially considering a new elite closer seems to pop up out of nowhere every year.

Reactions: bleedblue1223
Oct 18, 2011
I don't see what the players are whining about. 10 year contracts are bad investments, teams have just gotten significantly smarter with how they use their money the players don't want to accept new economic realities

It would probably be better if the next CBA adopted a length cap of about 7 years then I think that would help move things a bit.

We also have an environment where half the league is not competing so why are those teams going to spend big?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Wonder how all this plays out. I think Harper is landing in Philadelphia for sure but by some miracle of god the cash rich Phillies have decided not to bid against themselves. Nobody is giving away free multi tack-on years of $30M on the back end anymore, it's just not happening. Machado on the other hand, I have no idea where he is going. Yankees have Andujar so they aren't desperate and nobody else is going to go above low 200's for him.

Seems like the only possible conclusion is for these guys to settle for 6 or 7 year contracts, which will be at full price, and then get what they actually are worth after that time is up. These players have nothing to complain about, they need to stop being so greedy and get with the program

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
replacement for joyce?

or they plan on trading canha or fowler
Doesn't make a lot of sense. Laureano and Piscotty will play every day. That leaves Martini, Canha and Fowler to fill in (Canha can also play 1b). I don't see Grossman as an upgrade on any of those named, especially considering he's a terrible on the outfield.

If they just wanted to blow 2m they should have just re-signed Edwin Jackson.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Doesn't make a lot of sense. Laureano and Piscotty will play every day. That leaves Martini, Canha and Fowler to fill in (Canha can also play 1b). I don't see Grossman as an upgrade on any of those named, especially considering he's a terrible on the outfield.

If they just wanted to blow 2m they should have just re-signed Edwin Jackson.

yeah its definitely a weird move. only explanation i can think of is they're planning on moving someone

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Now the A's have signed Cliff Pennington. Any other blasts from the past they want to re-sign?? Maybe Terrence Long wants to test Ichiro in Japan??

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Now the A's have signed Cliff Pennington. Any other blasts from the past they want to re-sign?? Maybe Terrence Long wants to test Ichiro in Japan??

daric barton is giddy right now. why not also bring back rosales for his 10th stint?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad