GDT: 2018 Free Agent Frenzy, coverage now on TSN/Sportsnet/NHL Network

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Now the Leafs are better but I thought Tavares goes to SJ.

Toronto still has a depth problem in the bottom six and the defense is very average.

But either way this sucks big time.
I look at every move from a "how does it effect Florida in 2019 standpoint"

A team that was considerably better than Florida will remain considerably better. Oh well. NJD has done nothing, CBJ nothing, Philly JVR but full of holes. Florida is in good shape. It sucks longterm and Florida will probably go 1-3 vs Toronto as opposed to 2-2 but playoff wise things are fine.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
In that Point add some good defensman could be a good Way, when you will face so much offensive Power.

now you face marchand, bergeron, Krejci ....
Tavares, Mattews, Nylander, Marner
Stamkos, Kusnetsov

But yes, current you can say Eastern Conference, NYR, DET, BUF, NYI, MTL, CAR, OTT i would count as out.
Unsure for me NJD, PHI, CBJ if Panarin stays in CBJ.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Getting into an arms race with teams is not a wise move. Plus, this sport is mostly about the whole team. Single players do not impact the wins and loses to that degree. Unpredictable where this is going to go, have to wait and see how teams play in the long run. That's why they play the games.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I didnt think TOR was considerably better than us last year, and they have lost more production than brought in with Tavares, and still have RFA issues, and a leaky D.

It gets TOR closer to headlines, not really to the cup IMO.

Maybe they think this poor mans Crsoby/Malkin duo is good enough. I am not so sure.

Also changes the dynamic in the dressing room. Who is the leader now? Is this Matthews or Tavares' team now. Is this a reflection of Babcocks feelings about Matthews? Auston was always going to be the American kid in Toronto.

Interesting to watch it unfold.

Stamkos and Kucherov are still a better top duo IMO.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Getting into an arms race with teams is not a wise move. Plus, this sport is mostly about the whole team. Single players do not impact the wins and loses to that degree. Unpredictable where this is going to go, have to wait and see how teams play in the long run. That's why they play the games.

Disagree, Taylor Hall alone proved a 90 Point Season, brings your Teams in the PO. Sure they have good Goalie and 2 other good lines and D-strengh. But without Hall NJD nevr would be able to reach PO.
Missing him also throw them out of the PO.
Leafs had a good core, now the add an elite Player into the excellent forwards.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
The Tavares signing doesn't bother me at all.

Toronto is still extremely weak defensively and Andersen played above his normal abilities last season. He may still play well but their defense is still lacking.

They basically upgraded their strongest position. It's a really questionable move for the Leafs IMO. I get it JT is a great player but I liked what they were building and this seems to change a lot of the future of this build.

I don't really see how adding Tavares but losing JVR, Bozak and Komarov makes them that much more improved.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Disagree, Taylor Hall alone proved a 90 Point Season, brings your Teams in the PO. Sure they have good Goalie and 2 other good lines and D-strengh. But without Hall NJD nevr would be able to reach PO.
Missing him also throw them out of the PO.
Leafs had a good core, now the add an elite Player into the excellent forwards.
And yet, they didn't make the playoffs with him the previous season. It's a lot more that goes into it.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The Tavares signing doesn't bother me at all.

Toronto is still extremely weak defensively and Andersen played above his normal abilities last season. He may still play well but their defense is still lacking.

They basically upgraded their strongest position. It's a really questionable move for the Leafs IMO. I get it JT is a great player but I liked what they were building and this seems to change a lot of the future of this build.

I don't really see how adding Tavares but losing JVR, Bozak and Komarov makes them that much more improved.
EYYYY, we have some OGs showing up from the depths!
A top defenseman would make me happier.
We have one, his name is Max Gildon!

I don't think we need to add anyone, we have more than enough prospects that SHOULD develop

Reactions: Optimus Reim

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The worst thing FLA could do is a knee-jerk reaction and overpaying for someone. You don't answer to a 1C hand picking to sign with his childhood team.

Besides it's one player. Yes, Tavares is a really good player, but how much does one player really help when the playoffs roll around? This move doesn't address their d-men problems, arguably it makes the problem worse since they're gonna have so much money tied up to their forwards.

Doesnt even need to be a big move.

Offersheeting Nylander would be a good cagey move in my opinion.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
I am personally very happy with where we are at. We added a top-6 winger and didn't have to lose anyone for it, I'm perfectly willing to see where we head this season and keep our options open.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The way the Cats are built as of now, I don't see the Laughs to be an overwhelming threat even with signing Tavares even though one could say that they just acquired their best player. In my eyes the Cats win two out of three matches against the Leafs.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
What about Neal? 3 x$6 up to $7 million?

Dump McGinn, Haley, and MacK for a 7th round pick.

However, he wants 6 years. Not worth it for a 30 year old.

Last edited:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Neal is not worth that much. May get it, but not from us, Wouldnt be surprised to see him back in PIT or NSH.

Would love to dump those other bums, even though McGinn was useful.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
And yet, they didn't make the playoffs with him the previous season. It's a lot more that goes into it.

But when a single Player have more then 80 Point season its always looks like sure PO. Near the same but not complete you could say with the Flyers and Giroux 100 Point Season.
Flyers in my Eyes was last Season no secure PO Team. But a single Player pushed them over the top.
Now you add an 70-85 Point Player with around 30 Goals per Season, to an Roster who scored 277 Goals last Season. I really can see that someone in TOR reaches next Year 100 Points.
And Tavares is my Top Candidate for it.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
EYYYY, we have some OGs showing up from the depths!

We have one, his name is Max Gildon!

I don't think we need to add anyone, we have more than enough prospects that SHOULD develop
Gildon actually a decent looking prospect? I've never seen any of his play, maybe i'll start watching him.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I'm kinda surprised Neal is still out there. Either pulling no interest, or just very indecisive. My gut tells me he goes back to Vegas.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Gildon actually a decent looking prospect? I've never seen any of his play, maybe i'll start watching him.
Much better than decent I'd say, and to say it about a d-man...Inamoto too for that matter. Like I said in the other thread, Gildon reminds me of Brian Leetch when he skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad