GDT: 2018 Free Agent Frenzy, coverage now on TSN/Sportsnet/NHL Network

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
The Tavares signing doesn't bother me at all.

Toronto is still extremely weak defensively and Andersen played above his normal abilities last season. He may still play well but their defense is still lacking.

They basically upgraded their strongest position. It's a really questionable move for the Leafs IMO. I get it JT is a great player but I liked what they were building and this seems to change a lot of the future of this build.

I don't really see how adding Tavares but losing JVR, Bozak and Komarov makes them that much more improved.
This is what I was telling people. They've basically added all of their losses back with one signing, which is great for them. Bozak, JVR and Leo = Tavares. But Matthews is going to get $11M, and that's 25% of the cap into two players.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The last one of the fringe players (Shaw, Knight, Howden, Pirri and Grimaldi) which Dalé and Luce masterminded onto this wagon is officially gone.

He'll be back next year

Grimaldi is UFA btw.Woulnd't mind him as 2 way deal for AHL

Nevermind.. Preds just signed Grimaldi too ;)

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
James Neal must be asking for the moon to not be signed by now. A pretty tame free agency so far, besides the Tavares signing.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
ROR must've wanted out badly, because from an asset POV that trade makes no sense.

James Neal must be asking for the moon to not be signed by now. A pretty tame free agency so far, besides the Tavares signing.
Not necessarily for the moon, but I think term is the issue. GMs have gotten smarter the last 2-3 years and they don't give term to over 30yo's so easily now.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
ROR must've wanted out badly, because from an asset POV that trade makes no sense.

Not necessarily for the moon, but I think term is the issue. GMs have gotten smarter the last 2-3 years and they don't give term to over 30yo's so easily now.

Could be money reasons. STL it's paying his bonus as well

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The value for ror is pretty good, I just don't know why they were in such a rush to get rid of him.

It's gonna be a long time until Buffalo is competitive, we don't have to worry about them pushing for a playoff spot for at least the next couple seasons.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
He admitted he quit on the team last year, and accepted losing.

Also there was a purported rift between him and Eichel as well. They look like they will bring 5 rookies onto the roster next year and just throw them to the wolves. I cannot understand the plan.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Toronto still has a depth problem in the bottom six and the defense is very average.

Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm/FA-Brown

isn't a depth problem in the bottom six. Thanks for saying the defense is average though, that's an accurate statement unlike most that say it's terrible and such when it's not.

Besides it's one player. Yes, Tavares is a really good player, but how much does one player really help when the playoffs roll around? This move doesn't address their d-men problems, arguably it makes the problem worse since they're gonna have so much money tied up to their forwards.

The good thing about signing elite forwards is that it allows you to potentially move a good forward for defense help. We don't completely need to unless the right deal presents itself but that option is there now when it wasn't before.

Toronto is still extremely weak defensively and Andersen played above his normal abilities last season. He may still play well but their defense is still lacking.

Andersen has been the same goalie for almost his entire career. He's a 10-15th tier goalie and has been for most of his career. He didn't play any better this year than he did the year before. Hopefully he'll get more rest this season with Pickard/Sparks replacing McBackup.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Eriksson/Ladd/Lucic/Backes/Okposo/Oshie/Johnson/McDonagh.
They are still getting the term, younger guys like Kane got a 7 year deal as well.

edit, + Neal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->