GDT: 2018 Free Agent Frenzy, coverage now on TSN/Sportsnet/NHL Network

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
tavares now a UFA. his signing with new york is all but an impossibility at this point as he would've taken an 8 yr deal if he was staying. its now toronto or san jose. if it is the lightning I'd throw up on all ur faces.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
JVR leaving the division. Just need Tavares to join the Sharks and we're really clearing a path here.
That's actually bad because the Flyers along with the Devils are the only competition for the 2 WC spots. Toronto is making the playoffs regardless. Would've been better if he stayed with the Leafs.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Gonna go to bed so I'm up to catch the action, last thoughts...

Florida needed a top 6 forward (got that)
Florida needed a top 4 dman to replace Pysyk (got that, would I have liked a bigger name, sure, but I think Tallon knows his stuff with Russians so Kiselvich will do...)

Top 6 is set, defense looks set, Florida has more than enough bottom 6 players, I'm only expecting a 3rd goalie and AHL fillers. For anyone who wants moves, remember it's better to be inactive than make stupid signings, something anyone should worry about with Tallon. I really think Florida should easily make one of the 2 WC spots based on roster, quiet>dumb

Oh and in case it breaks before I'm up, let's say JT to the Sharks.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Gonna go to bed so I'm up to catch the action, last thoughts...

Florida needed a top 6 forward (got that)
Florida needed a top 4 dman to replace Pysyk (got that, would I have liked a bigger name, sure, but I think Tallon knows his stuff with Russians so Kiselvich will do...)

Top 6 is set, defense looks set, Florida has more than enough bottom 6 players, I'm only expecting a 3rd goalie and AHL fillers. For anyone who wants moves, remember it's better to be inactive than make stupid signings, something anyone should worry about with Tallon. I really think Florida should easily make one of the 2 WC spots based on roster, quiet>dumb

Oh and in case it breaks before I'm up, let's say JT to the Sharks.
This. Big move doesn't necessarily mean good move.
Get that 3rd goalie and some guys for the AHL, but don't want to add a huge contract that will become a problem three years from now.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This new (well not new anymore, since it's been in place for some time now) free agency system is good for the players and teams, but really bad for entertainment. Ruins the fun when we know a couple days early where most of the players are going to sign.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Agree with Ucan's comments. Given our prior acquisitions and current cap space, I expect Dale to sit on the sidelines during the opening phase of UFA to see how it shakes out. That stated, we are relatively stocked with surplus centers (Bjugstad, McCann, Malgin) and serviceable RD (Petrovic etc.), both of which may be positions of need for teams that strike out in free agency, For example, if they fail in free agency, then I could see either or both of the Habs and the Blues as potential trade partners. Time will tell

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
That's actually bad because the Flyers along with the Devils are the only competition for the 2 WC spots. Toronto is making the playoffs regardless. Would've been better if he stayed with the Leafs.

I'm not so convinced about the Leafs. They are losing a ton of depth. They'll be a bubble team.

Also Boston will take a step back and NJ was trending down half a season after an incredible start. Philly isn't anything special either.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone else sucks.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I'm not so convinced about the Leafs. They are losing a ton of depth. They'll be a bubble team.

Also Boston will take a step back and NJ was trending down half a season after an incredible start. Philly isn't anything special either.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone else sucks.
Their defense and goalie status are very much in question in my books.

Plus I will wager they spend 30 million on Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

Boy am I glad we locked up our core early.

Our window is open.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not really, you were saying up to 5.5 million, and never STL.

He was never going to get that cash after a career year over 30 years old.

He had been bought out already at 4 million per season. I doubt they love this contract in a couple seasons.

Never said a team but I did say 4.5 to 5.5.

I just knew he wouldn't get overpaid. That's all.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hope we sore up and help our AHL team. It would be nice to for once have an AHL team that doesn't suck

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad