2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
1. Sign Nylander for 7 yrs @6.75

2. Trade Connor Brown for Radko Gudas

3. Trade for Zach Kassian (for a 4th rounder)

Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Jooris-Kassian

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Gudas

Anderson

Trades are not worth it.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Dorion figured having Karlsson for 1 more season is nice but at best he could only get 1 Norris Trophy in that span. So instead he traded for for a guarenteed Norris in Josh Norris. Next on his list of players to acquire is Logan Stanley.
Exactly.

They traded a Norris for a guy who one day *might* get them a Norris.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
What would you guys give up for Jeff Petry if anything at all?

Feel like

Rielly - Petry
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Ozhiganov

Could be an interesting D core for 2019-2020. Wouldn't be ideal but decent for a cheap d core

He would become a UFA in summer 2021 which would probably be a good time for Liljgren, Durzi or another RHD prospect to make the jump.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
What would you guys give up for Jeff Petry if anything at all?

Feel like

Rielly - Petry
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Ozhiganov

Could be an interesting D core for 2019-2020. Wouldn't be ideal but decent for a cheap d core

He would become a UFA in summer 2021 which would probably be a good time for Liljgren, Durzi or another RHD prospect to make the jump.
Nothing at all. Unless we go after a big fish I'd rather see what we have.

I would actually go with Zaitsev,Carrick,Holl to start if we could move Hainsey. All 3 can skate and move the puck and you hope Zaitsev bounces back from his foot injury and mono from last year.

I think Ozhiganov starts with the Marlies and we see from there. He didn't get to play much hockey last year and as we saw with Rosen and Borgman, the adjustment can be tough to start out.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Nothing at all. Unless we go after a big fish I'd rather see what we have.

I would actually go with Zaitsev,Carrick,Holl to start if we could move Hainsey. All 3 can skate and move the puck and you hope Zaitsev bounces back from his foot injury and mono from last year.

I think Ozhiganov starts with the Marlies and we see from there. He didn't get to play much hockey last year and as we saw with Rosen and Borgman, the adjustment can be tough to start out.

This is for next year, and Ozhiganov is not going to start with the Marlies unless he really sucks and Holl does significantly better than him. Neither is likely to happen.

Ozhiganov is physical. Like he would challenge Zaitsev for being our most physical defenseman. Which is good considering we are not the most physical group, and everyone is so worried about the lack of physicality in our lineup (especially with Polak, Komarov and Martin gone). He's got a very hard shot, which is also very accurate. His numbers in the hardest shot contest in the KHL would have put him 3rd in the NHL. It transfers to real life games too. He also has great stick handling and awareness. All of this is better than anything I have seen out of Holl, and I have seen a lot of Holl.

The only thing that really goes against Ozhiganov is whether or not he can transfer a strong defensive game.

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
This is for next year, and Ozhiganov is not going to start with the Marlies unless he really sucks and Holl does significantly better than him. Neither is likely to happen.

Ozhiganov is physical. Like he would challenge Zaitsev for being our most physical defenseman. Which is good considering we are not the most physical group, and everyone is so worried about the lack of physicality in our lineup (especially with Polak, Komarov and Martin gone). He's got a very hard shot, which is also very accurate. His numbers in the hardest shot contest in the KHL would have put him 3rd in the NHL. It transfers to real life games too. He also has great stick handling and awareness. All of this is better than anything I have seen out of Holl, and I have seen a lot of Holl.

The only thing that really goes against Ozhiganov is whether or not he can transfer a strong defensive game.

Im definitely cheering for Ozhiganov to make the team. If not him, then Borgman atleast

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Are there any more big names really out there? I mean Ottawa may do who knows what with the rest of their team, but any other notable players on the trade block now that Patches and Karlsson have been dealt? Not that it has not been enough to see two division rivals make trades that may have net them some good assets but are hardly worth worrying about.

All I know is the Leafs still have a couple of goalies on the market, could be looking at a defenseman (but honestly, I'd be content just seeing what Ozhiganov and Carrick can do rotating with Hainsey if nothing is really out there), and maybe looking to move Nielsen on the back end so the Marlies do not have 8 defensemen on NHL deals (although I doubt they look to dump him either. They can do that at the TDL like they did with Valiev). Forwards seem to be fine at both levels. Defense is fine besides having a too many guys on the blueline for the Marlies without much ice time to give. Goalies they just need to figure out how to move at least one backup goalie, if not two. Although if they move two they'll likely take a goalie in return to stick with Kaskisuo on the Marlies.

Dubas has done a pretty good job checking off the boxes this offseason. The only glaring one is defense, but maybe he views Ozhiganov as a good enough option to take ice time away from Hainsey. If Zaitsev was a 22 minute defenseman out of the gate when he got here, Ozhiganov (or Carrick if he plays PK) could be an 18 minute type guy (essentially a bit more than Polak was last year). Dermott is going to get a raise on his 16 minutes. Probably at least 18, including some PK time. That's ~2.5 extra minutes that you can take away from Hainsey and Gardiner. Not including Rielly likely getting extra minutes himself. He was 4th in average ice time with 21:36. He should be getting at least what Gardiner is getting (about a minute more), if not more than him. Hainsey may be able to be cut down to 19 or 20 minutes a night from ~22. That's ideal for him. Gardiner may go from 22:32 to a more appropriate 21 (likely heavily sheltered) minutes himself. There is not a sexy addition like a Braun, but if there is better team defense (which there almost certainly will be), that is going to make far more of a significant impact anyway IMO.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If we can't afford to (or don't want to) re-sign Gardiner, we should try to swap him for Braun.
Gardiner is significantly better offensively, but Braun is a RHD and has that shutdown element we are looking for, and also has an extra year on his contract at an extremely good cap hit.

Then make a move for Nurse :nod:

I would be good with swapping Gardiner for Braun

Reilly- Braun
Dermott- Zaitsev
Hainsey- Carrick/Holl/OZ

I'm definitely on board for picking up Braun, but Gardiner has more value than Braun and I'd rather keep Gardiner in the lineup for this season. My offer would be a 2nd, Carrick, and something else small like a B prospect.

Reilly - Braun
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

That is solid.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm definitely on board for picking up Braun, but Gardiner has more value than Braun and I'd rather keep Gardiner in the lineup for this season. My offer would be a 2nd, Carrick, and something else small like a B prospect.

Reilly - Braun
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

That is solid.

Honestly, Braun is past the point of effectiveness in any other (3rd pairing) minutes. He’s probably a decent 3rd pairing guy but he was actually terrible this season in a more important role. He can’t handle it.

He’s declining, cause he also sucked last year, and it’s visibly a decline. His decline is accelerated because he has always played with Vlasic and he takes the majority of the physical contact that comes from the shutdown D-zone minutes that they play.

Honestly, whoever gets him will regret it. He isn’t the answer to the Leafs problem.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He may not be the "answer" to our problems but I believe he would make our D better given our right side.

He certainly wouldn't make us better, if played on the top pair.... he could provide an element to help our third pairing... but he'd likely be costly for a third pairing guy.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He certainly wouldn't make us better, if played on the top pair.... he could provide an element to help our third pairing... but he'd likely be costly for a third pairing guy.
Our current top pair RD is a left handed Hainsey. You don't think Braun is better than Hainsey?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'd be a little concerned about having Nurse and Gardiner on the same team. Collective IQ of a peanut. But I love the fact that Nurse is as tough as nails and athletic.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I'm a Borgman fan. Just want his game to polish up and he'd be a great fit on the bottom pair.
Borgman was interesting to watch last year.
Strong, quick, above average hands for a D. If he can make normal progress for a guy his age he should be a fun guy to watch.
If Ozie is somewhere between Zaitsev and Borgman I'd be extatic to have then make up our bottom pair if only to add a bit of snarl.
I'd also like to see them both get PK time and see if we can take some pressure off the top 4 D in the regard.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Again, people seem to think that average defensemen are worth a gold mine. You don't need to go out of your way to acquire average.

They'll point to the Larsson trade. Thankfully we have the Karlsson trade to have the other perspective.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jake Dotchin places on waivers to terminate his contract. Apparently there’s some off ice issues there. Played a lot of time with Hedman last year, and pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad