2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Sens also get a 2nd rd pick in 2021. It becomes a first if the Sharks sign him and SJ makes it to the final yhis season.

The Sens also get a 1rst in 2021 or 2022 if Karlsson plays for an eastern team in 2018/19.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Sens also get a 2nd rd pick in 2021. It becomes a first if the Sharks sign him and SJ makes it to the final yhis season.

The Sens also get a 1rst in 2021 or 2022 if Karlsson plays for an eastern team in 2018/19.
So... could be 3 firsts and a second pick wise, which would be a much nicer haul.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Nurse situation aint lookin good. He flew back to Toronto last night. Leafs should be keeping an eye on Nurse. He's a top 4 D-man with massive potential to get better.

Reactions: ACC1224

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Oilers fans are saying, that Zack Kassian might also be on the trade block due to Darnell Nurse. Trying to get rid of Kassian's contract to sign Nurse possibly.

I wouldnt mind Kassian at all on the 4th line.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Oilers fans are saying, that Zack Kassian might also be on the trade block due to Darnell Nurse. Trying to get rid of Kassian's contract to sign Nurse possibly.

I wouldnt mind Kassian at all on the 4th line.

No thanks. He's not really that great of a player. He's tough, but that's about it.

Definitely would not pay assets for him. If he was on my team currently at that number however, I wouldn't be totally upset either. It's not a problem, but it's not something that should be on our books either.

Depends what they pay us to take him off of our hands. If they gave up Kassian and a 3rd for Leivo, I'd consider it.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
No thanks. He's not really that great of a player. He's tough, but that's about it.

Definitely would not pay assets for him. If he was on my team currently at that number however, I wouldn't be totally upset either. It's not a problem, but it's not something that should be on our books either.

Depends what they pay us to take him off of our hands. If they gave up Kassian and a 3rd for Leivo, I'd consider it.

Yeah I was mainly thinking of a Leivo/Kassian swap. But it would depend on the Oilers saving money on the deal? Would the oilers save money on a Leivo/Kassian deal

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nurse situation aint lookin good. He flew back to Toronto last night. Leafs should be keeping an eye on Nurse. He's a top 4 D-man with massive potential to get better.

I like Nurse a lot, but guess which name Oiler fans bring up first? Nylander, which complicates things.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The Karlsson trade should make Braun available for cap reasons as well as to reorganize their team.

With Burns and Karlsson as RD there isn't enough minutes available for Braun.

Sharks are clearly in full on win now mode so gotta think they'd want cheap quality depth forwards such as Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson considering they lack depth there. We can also throw in a low cap D to round out their roster in Carrick, Borgman, Holl, etc.

Holl is worth nothing. Carrick would be the guy. I would also think Brown would be the forward. Although I do not think the Leafs should have to include a signifcant amount more than that, and SJS would probably just be satisfied loading up their defense at that point.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yeah I was mainly thinking of a Leivo/Kassian swap. But it would depend on the Oilers saving money on the deal? Would the oilers save money on a Leivo/Kassian deal

Yes. About 1 mill or something this year and 1.95 mill next year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
:leafs
Justin Braun

:sharks
2019 lottery-protected first
Josh Leivo
Connor Carrick

I think I'd rather give up Brown and downgrade the pick. Just my personal preference.

:leafs
RD Justin Braun
C/RW Barclay Goodrow

:sharks
RW Connor Brown
RD Connor Carrick
RW Yegor Korshkov
TOR 4th round pick 2019

That was my thinking anyways. Goodrow would probably be the odd man out if Brown came in, so he's not a huge loss for them. I guess it really depends upon how much they'd like Korshkov, but I think the Leafs would give him up in this deal, and he'd give them a high potential player who is not too far away from the NHL. That could be enticing to them. Otherwise, I'd try to negotiate to see if the third piece can be a prospect instead, and Goodrow does not NEED to come back but he's someone I think would fit well with Babcock. Plus it evens out the contracts.

Alternatively we could just do a Gardiner + Carrick for Braun + ??? swap. Gardiner is a better player, but Braun has the extra year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I liked (in the playoffs) Moore and I won't rule him out at all, I wouldn't be surprised if he beat out some guys like Ennis and Jooris too. He's 23 so he's not exactly young either, my time line was more him getting top 6 AHL time this year and coming up next but let's see.

Leivo deserves a shot absolutely, Mirtle reported that one way or another Leivo will play next year. I think if he doesn't make our starting 12 then we might waive him to let him move on or trade him for the best return possible (a 6th is better then nothing).

Lindholm, Jooris or Gauthier aren't appealing. Lindholm provides the biggest hope and he's the biggest unknown and we don't have a lot of AHL options if injuries occur. Vermette or Shore represent decent insurance policies.

Our 4th line centre should hardly play, he should be the hockey equivalent of a hood ornament

Moore is my sleeper at camp this year, he's got great speed, forechecks like a demon and Keefe used him late in games, I think he'd be a perfect 4th liner in Babcock's system

how many do we reward tho???

looks like derm,andrys,,sparks,,1 maybe 2 more D

possibly the mighty goat,, thats 6 names right there,,,20% of a nhl roster.

We aren't relying on those guys, were talking bottom pair defenseman, bottom 6 forwards and backup goalie

We can play them because were not relying on them but we have the benefit of some potential improvement as they gain NHL experience

That description of Moore is why he doesn't like Leivo for that spot. I kind of agree with it too. Leivo has to play higher up (top 9) to get the best out of him, but here that's probably not likely.

One thing I don't really want is Grundstrom on the 4th line. Much rather see him getting top line minutes with the Marlies.

I can't see Grundstrom playing in the NHL this season without major injuries to the NHL team, I've given up on Leivo at this point, Babcock isn't as much as a fan as I am

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
How about overpay for Dahlin?

Nylander, firstrounder, secondrounder, Hyman, Kapanen, Leivo, Timashov, Carrick (d) and Sandin (d) for Dahlin, Pominville and Moulson?

Point is partly to reduce cap hit next season. This year belong to Tampa Bay. Sergachev, Gourde and Point for nothing. Kucherov for 6 million. Cheap star goalie.

Would look like this for the Leafs:

Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Brown
Ennis - Kadri - Pominville
Grundström - Lindholm - Moore

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dahlin - Liljegren
Dermott

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Our 4th line centre should hardly play, he should be the hockey equivalent of a hood ornament

Moore is my sleeper at camp this year, he's got great speed, forechecks like a demon and Keefe used him late in games, I think he'd be a perfect 4th liner in Babcock's system

We aren't relying on those guys, were talking bottom pair defenseman, bottom 6 forwards and backup goalie

We can play them because were not relying on them but we have the benefit of some potential improvement as they gain NHL experience

I can't see Grundstrom playing in the NHL this season without major injuries to the NHL team, I've given up on Leivo at this point, Babcock isn't as much as a fan as I am

4th line centre should be good at face offs and penalty kill, none of Matthews, Tavares or Kadri PK really. Kadri should learn to PK this year though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
4th line centre should be good at face offs and penalty kill, none of Matthews, Tavares or Kadri PK really. Kadri should learn to PK this year though.

Tavares did on the Island, we've also got Hyman, Brown, Kapanen and Johnsson who can all PK and if Moore makes the 4th line he's another one
I know Babcock won't do it but I think Matthews and Marner would do a decent job as well, if Lindholm makes the 4th line he's a PKer as well I believe

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
How about overpay for Dahlin?

Nylander, firstrounder, secondrounder, Hyman, Kapanen, Leivo, Timashov, Carrick (d) and Sandin (d) for Dahlin, Pominville and Moulson?

Point is partly to reduce cap hit next season. This year belong to Tampa Bay. Sergachev, Gourde and Point for nothing. Kucherov for 6 million. Cheap star goalie.

Would look like this for the Leafs:

Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Brown
Ennis - Kadri - Pominville
Grundström - Lindholm - Moore

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dahlin - Liljegren
Dermott
Lol this is ridiculous.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
1. Sign Nylander for 7 yrs @6.75

2. Trade Connor Brown for Radko Gudas

3. Trade for Zach Kassian (for a 4th rounder)

Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Jooris-Kassian

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Gudas

Anderson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
1. Sign Nylander for 7 yrs @6.75

2. Trade Connor Brown for Radko Gudas

3. Trade for Zach Kassian (for a 4th rounder)

Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Jooris-Kassian

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Gudas

Anderson

I'm not a huge fan of Brown but I wouldn't trade him for a bottom pair defenseman when we've got an organisation full of them and trading for a 4th line winger seems pretty pointless as well

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
full

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If we can't afford to (or don't want to) re-sign Gardiner, we should try to swap him for Braun.
Gardiner is significantly better offensively, but Braun is a RHD and has that shutdown element we are looking for, and also has an extra year on his contract at an extremely good cap hit.

Then make a move for Nurse :nod:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad