2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I have the weird feeling that Nylander is going to play hardball with the Leafs on his next contract which in turn will be shipped out immediately for other needs. It makes literally no sense with all the cap space the Leafs have that he is not signed yet.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I have the weird feeling that Nylander is going to play hardball with the Leafs on his next contract which in turn will be shipped out immediately for other needs. It makes literally no sense with all the cap space the Leafs have that he is not signed yet.
It makes literally no sense that the process - which the GM said would be a long and patient one that likely wouldn't be finished as quickly as some (read, fans/media) would like - has been a long and patient one that hasn't been finished as quickly as some like?

You have an interesting sense of sense.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

I'm sure being the son of a former NHL'r helps teach them its a business but at the same time at some point it's also about winning and Nylander will probably never have a chance like this again

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It makes literally no sense that the process - which the GM said would be a long and patient one that likely wouldn't be finished as quickly as some (read, fans/media) would like - has been a long and patient one that hasn't been finished as quickly as some like?

These are the same people who were worried Matthews wasn't getting signed.

Pastrnak signed his contract on Sept 14th.

Looking even at just last years signings, a lot of players signed in September. Wennberg, Duclair, Bennett, Horvat, Severson, Little, Zadorov.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Do it right, not fast. Everything impacts everything.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I believe Nylander wants long term deal and Leafs are hesitant to give it. If he can't be signed somewhere close to Ehlers and Larkin I would try to get a top 2 dman for him. If Panarin wants out, CBJ may be interested in Nylander replacing his offense. One of Jones or Werenski would be my target but they may be non starters.

Worst case sign him to a Pastrnak deal and move him next summer if there are cap issues.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Doubling back to Winnipeg.
And they’re future cap crunch.
Why not Gardiner+middling prospect (Nielsen?) for Kulikov and Myers.
Peg gets some cap relief when they need it. TO’s D gets a boost and good shape.
Myers slots in with Reilly. Kulikov with Zaits. Hainsey down with Dermott.
Look like nice complimentary pairings to me. Better L/R balance. I think there’s cap to do it. Zaits takes a more suitable role in his pairing, Hainsey leaned on less and a good tutor for TD, and Myers let’s Reilly roam.
Carrick/Ozhi/Rosen battling to displace whoever.
Borgman and Lili get the year to groom.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Doubling back to Winnipeg.
And they’re future cap crunch.
Why not Gardiner+middling prospect (Nielsen?) for Kulikov and Myers.
Peg gets some cap relief when they need it. TO’s D gets a boost and good shape.
Myers slots in with Reilly. Kulikov with Zaits. Hainsey down with Dermott.
Look like nice complimentary pairings to me. Better L/R balance. I think there’s cap to do it. Zaits takes a more suitable role in his pairing, Hainsey leaned on less and a good tutor for TD, and Myers let’s Reilly roam.
Carrick/Ozhi/Rosen battling to displace whoever.
Borgman and Lili get the year to groom.
How will having to re-sign Gardiner help the Jets with their cap crunch?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Nylander's bar has been set with Ehlers, Larkin and Pasternak contracts. Anything he wants above that is absurd and if it is the case I would deal him as hes not a team player. Anything in range of those contracts is acceptable.

I really hope he's not playing hard ball, because it doesn't make sense to when the bar has been set for you already. But then again it could be the Leafs that are trying for a lower number due to those 3 players being better at this point then Nylander is. Could be term that each side is negotiating as well.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
It makes literally no sense with all the cap space the Leafs have that he is not signed yet.

What? It makes perfect sense.

They have all this cap space FOR 1 YR. 12 months. 1 season. 82 games.

They need to be cognizant of future years.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

But only thing is that I am stating Nylander wants more then he is worth considering his comparable's!! This is what I am saying. Which means if the case trade him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

^^^ True.

Things (including sports and leagues with salary caps) run in cycles.

The idea of replacing older players with higher salaries with younger, less expensive ELCs isn't a new or novel idea. We didn't invent it.

Successful teams like Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, etc. all have had to deal with cap issues at some point despite their success. I don't place a lot of faith in the idea that these other teams didn't have capologists, and were ill prepared, and that's the reason they ran into issues which we seem to infer or talk about.

We should be able to identify who are core is and retain those players. Yet, while we are OK now and perhaps for the next couple of years, I'd expect to lose a player or players eventually at some time down the road that we would have otherwise like to have kept. Its a cyclical thing and its really how things work.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There is no evidence of Nylander asking for more then his comparables so lets stop making up false stuff.

Taking as long as it is, is proof enough. Leafs having the cap space they do, a player that is comparable to other similar signings in the league point to one of 3 things:

1) Nylander thinks he deserves more then Ehlers, Larkin and Pasternak

2) Leafs think he deserves less then those players.

3) Term Leafs want, Term Nylander wants

Its one of the 3. With comparables it should be very easy. Sorry theres is a contract standoff between the 2 sides which means trouble is brewing. We are approaching the middle of August, with everything known the deal should be done by now.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Taking as long as it is, is proof enough. Leafs having the cap space they do, a player that is comparable to other similar signings in the league point to one of 3 things:

Its one of the 3. With comparables it should be very easy. Sorry theres is a contract standoff between the 2 sides which means trouble is brewing. We are approaching the middle of August, with everything known the deal should be done by now.
No, it's not proof of anything.

All we know for sure is that both sides have said they want a long-term deal, that we have lots of room to make a long-term deal work, and that our management team has openly said that this will be a long, patient process, that might not be over as quickly as fans/media expect - Nothing about this should have you freaking out as much as you are, you need to chill out and give the hysteria a rest.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No, it's not proof of anything.

All we know for sure is that both sides have said they want a long-term deal, that we have lots of room to make a long-term deal work, and that our management team has openly said that this will be a long, patient process, that might not be over as quickly as fans/media expect - Nothing about this should have you freaking out as much as you are, you need to chill out and give the hysteria a rest.

If a team wants a player bad enough and have cap space and comparables to go by, there is no reason to be taking this long. What is there to be patient about. The Leafs either want him, or don't. If they don't trade him for what we need which is another key piece on defense. He is the logical piece to move out the other way.

Trade Nylander and Gardiner to Ottawa for Karlsson.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
giphy.gif

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If a team wants a player bad enough and have cap space and comparables to go by, there is no reason to be taking this long. What is there to be patient about. The Leafs either want him, or don't. If they don't trade him for what we need which is another key piece on defense. He is the logical piece to move out the other way.

Trade Nylander and Gardiner to Ottawa for Karlsson.
All the reason you need is right here:
Earlier in the episode, Dubas gave some insight into how he’ll approach the order of things when it comes to contract negotiations — and it includes plenty of patience.
“I always think that when a player is going to make a commitment of any length, particularly when they’re signing up long-term, that we need to sit with the player and make sure that they player knows where we’re going as a program and what our vision and our plans are so those are discussions that I’ll have with each of the individual players that are due extensions here or are due contracts for next season,” Dubas told Marek and Friedman. “It might go a little bit slower than some people would like but that would be on me to continue to be patient with it and make sure that these guys are not just signing because it’s a long-term contract and it’s obviously a nice pay increase for them, but they want to be here as part of the long-term, they know where we’re going and they’re a full part of that rather than sign a deal and then a year later wonder what the vision is for the program and whether they want to be part of it.
“We’ll be very patient,” he continued. “I wouldn’t expect anything imminent — at least, I don’t think that today as I speak with you guys — on any of the three, but we’ll just start to work towards them and all three of them will be a big part of it as we move ahead.”
Dubas on keeping Nylander, Marner, Matthews: 'We can, and we will' - Sportsnet.ca

Also, there's nothing logical about trading a piece like William Nylander for a defenseman when we have Timothy Liljegren in the system.

Reactions: hockeynorth

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Thats cool. It seems Matthews and Marner dont want to be here either. They havent signed and are asking for 16 million. We should trade them.

Its not hard to this for other players you know?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Remind me when his comparable Pastrnak signed again?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Zipper

Jul 16, 2018
RHD available:

Philadelphia: Heavy on RD, lacks a top LHD and depth.
Players possibly available: MacDonald, Gostisbehere, Gudas

Detroit: Depth players are aging & the teams looking to re-build with their current prospects.
Players possibly available: Green, Kronwall, Daley

Winnipeg: They have some big contracts to sign next year and will most likely deal one of their defenders. Players possibly available: Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Morrow

Vancouver: Another team looking to get back on top with the twins gone now, i'm expecting them to go full re-build. Players possibly available: Tanev, Gudbranson

Nashville: Will need to sign both Ryan & Roman in the next 2 years, maybe Kyle can work a deal with the predators. Players possibly available: Subban, Ellis

If we want to make a push for the cup this year, Kyle would most likely have to work a deal with one of Detroit, Winnipeg or Vancouver. The reasoning behind this would be we can keep our roster intact and move prospects and/or picks.

Also assuming Nylander signs for around 6.8M that would leave us with enough cap space to trade for a D with 7-M left in cap(9.7M if they moved Carrick, Ennis & Leivo)...and keep in mind that theirs a possibility Nash signs for 1-year around 3-5M

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
RHD available:

Philadelphia: Heavy on RD, lacks a top LHD and depth.
Players possibly available: MacDonald, Gostisbehere, Gudas
Top LHD? Provorov? MacDonald and Ghost shoot left. No point in getting a lefty to play the right side we may as well move Rielly over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad