OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So right now it seems to me that if the Browns do not take Mayfield, the Giants will take him. If they do, then the Giants take Barkley... is that correct?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So right now it seems to me that if the Browns do not take Mayfield, the Giants will take him. If they do, then the Giants take Barkley... is that correct?
Doesn't sound like that. It sounds like if Browns don't take Darnold then Giants will go with him at 2. If Browns do take Darnold, then Giants would take Barkley.

Every report says Giants FO is very high on Barkley for how he is both on and off the field. They love his ability and character.

I don't think it is a mistake at all take Barkley at 2. Lots of insiders believe he will be wearing the gold jacket at the end of his career. They are not as sure about that as some of the other options.

Barkley opens up the entire offense. It will make them a more physical team that can finally ground and pound.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Doesn't sound like that. It sounds like if Browns don't take Darnold then Giants will go with him at 2. If Browns do take Darnold, then Giants would take Barkley.

Every report says Giants FO is very high on Barkley for how he is both on and off the field. They love his ability and character.

I don't think it is a mistake at all take Barkley at 2. Lots of insiders believe he will be wearing the gold jacket at the end of his career. They are not as sure about that as some of the other options.

Barkley opens up the entire offense. It will make them a more physical team that can finally ground and pound.

Except Barkley is not a physical player. He's not some physical back at all.

Reactions: Fvital92

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
The RB class is too deep to justify taking Barkley at 2. You have Guice, Michel, Chubb, Penny that you should be able to get in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I love Barkley and I think he’s gonna be a stud, but you can’t take him at 2, especially with the QBs in this draft class.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You don’t take RB’s 2nd overall. If the Browns f*** over the Giants and take Darnold, and they don’t like the other QBs, trade down and get multiple picks.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Just not sure I agree with the line and QB so uncertain. Remember the AP-led Vikings in 2012? They couldn't do anything when it mattered because having poor QB play in today's NFL allows teams to stack the box.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just not sure I agree with the line and QB so uncertain. Remember the AP-led Vikings in 2012? They couldn't do anything when it mattered because having poor QB play in today's NFL allows teams to stack the box.
The Giants have a future HOFer at QB compared to Christian Ponder at QB. The line will be improved with the new personnel and the new coaching staff, I really believe that.

So yea I want to go with Barkley. And I want to see how much Dez would be willing to sacrifice to be a Giant. 2 year $7 million contract? $8 million?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Man, as a Browns fan, I can't wait for this draft to be over. They're really well set up, but with all the stories going round, it really feels like they could outsmart themselves... Hopefully it's all just smoke.

I feel like I've typed this before... :)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Man, as a Browns fan, I can't wait for this draft to be over. They're really well set up, but with all the stories going round, it really feels like they could outsmart themselves... Hopefully it's all just smoke.

I feel like I've typed this before... :)
Dorsey’s a great drafting Gm boss

Even tho you’re a Browns fan you should feel confident in him

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Giants have a future HOFer at QB compared to Christian Ponder at QB. The line will be improved with the new personnel and the new coaching staff, I really believe that.

So yea I want to go with Barkley. And I want to see how much Dez would be willing to sacrifice to be a Giant. 2 year $7 million contract? $8 million?

The idea that current-level Manning is better than Christian Ponder is debatable.

Which in and of itself is incredibly sad.

Also, can we stop with the flat-out falsehood that the line was what was wrong with Eli? The pass protection was league average.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You're not winning in today's NFL with ground and pound. It's a league that's designed, and refereed - to pass and score.

The whole strategy of great defense/great run, a QB who doesn't lose you the game has always been flimsy to me. I say that as a Jets fan who watched it get us to 2 AFC title games, but never over the line.

You can win games but I just don't think you can win it all. Watching the Jags try to do it against the Pats last year was agonizing last year cause you know what was gonna happen. But to me was the perfect illustration of how far it can get you.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The idea that current-level Manning is better than Christian Ponder is debatable.

Which in and of itself is incredibly sad.

Also, can we stop with the flat-out falsehood that the line was what was wrong with Eli? The pass protection was league average.

It's not debatable.

Ponder is atrocious and always has been. Present level Eli is by no means 2011 or even 2014 Eli, but with one of the worst offensive lines in recent memory, it hasn't helped him either.

Ponder is AFL/CFL material. The best part about him is his hot wife that reports for ESPN.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You're not winning in today's NFL with ground and pound. It's a league that's designed, and refereed - to pass and score.

The whole strategy of great defense/great run, a QB who doesn't lose you the game has always been flimsy to me. I say that as a Jets fan who watched it get us to 2 AFC title games, but never over the line.

You can win games but I just don't think you can win it all. Watching the Jags try to do it against the Pats last year was agonizing last year cause you know what was gonna happen. But to me was the perfect illustration of how far it can get you.

Philly just won with a 2 back set that they controlled the clock with and got decent play from a sub-par QB.

Blount has won 2 Super Bowls in a row and has been a key contributor on them.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Philly just won with a 2 back set that they controlled the clock with and got decent play from a sub-par QB.

Blount has won 2 Super Bowls in a row and has been a key contributor on them.

Foles averaged over 300 yards and 2 TDS per game in the playoffs. They won a SB bc they didn’t just try to control the clock and not lose. They were aggressive.

They hardly played conservative ground and pound. Being a good running team isn’t the same thing.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
With this run on QBs I'm wondering if Denver will pick Barkley. Specially after cutting CJ. On the other hand there are so many holes on the squad, the Broncos could pick anything at 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad