GDT: U18 Round Robin/QF's

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
What happened at the end of the period? I'm only following this game via the IIHF website.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I said Canada 6 to 3

But I didn't expect this Stat line.. what did we do at end of period?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
What happened at the end of the period? I'm only following this game via the IIHF website.
Canada had a penalty, there were offsetting penalties for the scrum and they reviewed it in the intermission and called Sikora for a butt end (which was correct), 5 min and a game misconduct.

Looked pretty clear to me and the refs took their time video reviewing it so.............................
I thought he hit him in the chest and then may have caught his head. Don't know what the IIHF rules are though.

Reactions: MeHateHe

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Canada had a penalty, there were offsetting penalties for the scrum and they reviewed it in the intermission and called Sikora for a butt end (which was correct), 5 min and a game misconduct.
Thanks, but I am personally disappointed that you all aren't giving an ultra-descriptive play-by-play for my benefit.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Top four nations all looking very close this year. I think any of the four can win it. This should make it an interesting year. USA and Sweden have been the two best in recent years, but look a little weaker this year. Finland has a stronger team this year and is on home ice. I’d make them slight favorites. Canada has all the talent, but that’s never the issue. They struggle to adapt with a thrown together group of players who have never or rarely played together. Good start for them.

Everyone is going to forget about Czechia, but maybe they’ll surprise. A good test today against Canada. Let’s see if they can give them a game. That’ll give us a better idea of what this Czechia team is made of.

Slovakia is a giant disaster this year. The coach left a top 2 player of his off the team for whatever crazy reasons he has and now they are losing to Latvia. Fire that dude immediately and banish him from coaching their junior national teams
How and based on what Finland's team is strong?
That we have won 2 weak teams ( Latvia and Norway ) doesn't mean nothing.
Our guys haven't proved nothing yet because first real test is Slovakia game in sunday afternoon.

Our team is still coached by an total idiot
who's done some really wierd and odd decisions
in player selections leaving out guys like Muhonen, Miettinen and Soini.
After USA game in Tuesday night statements regarding Finland's team can be made not before.

There are still things which freaks me out.
Like our 1st defence pair Väisänen Kiviharju which will be in huge troubles vs USA.

Also goaltending hasn't been tested yet at all.
Rimpinen was OK vs Latvia but he's too over confident too often and leaves his zone too often as well.

That Latvia didn't score of those chances was pure luck nothing else
but USA will score those so you cannot say nothing is our goaltending
and defence enough good to win any medal.

Saarinen was good today vs Norway and got easy shutout.
But even his tournament will be evaluated later.

Hemming, Kiviharju and Helenius have got very good chemistry
their 1st powerplay unit works very well but USA will scout that away
and i'm sure vs USA that powerplay unit will not score easy powerplay goals.

In my papers U18 WJC's gold medal this year will be USA vs Canada.
Finland is a challenger and i don't see us winning more than Bronze if / when all goes perfect.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How and based on what Finland's team is strong?
That we have won 2 weak teams ( Latvia and Norway ) doesn't mean nothing.
Our guys haven't proved nothing yet because first real test is Slovakia game in sunday afternoon.

Our team is still coached by an total idiot
who's done some really wierd and odd decisions
in player selections leaving out guys like Muhonen, Miettinen and Soini.
After USA game in Tuesday night statements regarding Finland's team can be made not before.

There are still things which freaks me out.
Like our 1st defence pair Väisänen Kiviharju which will be in huge troubles vs USA.

Also goaltending hasn't been tested yet at all.
Rimpinen was OK vs Latvia but he's too over confident too often and leaves his zone too often as well. That Latvia didn't score of those chances was pure luck nothing else but USA will score those so you cannot say nothing is our goaltending and defence enough good to win any medal.
I’m saying that’s what it looks like coming into the tournament. Too early to make many conclusions from the games so far.

The goaltending is some of the best at the tournament. Sweden likely doesn’t have a goaltender that’ll be drafted this year and USA likely doesn’t have one that’ll be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Canada’s goaltending is probably the other good group. Czechia’s top goalie might be as strong as the best for Sweden and USA but nothing special. That’s it for goaltending.

Helenius playing at this tournament is big for Finland. He’s a legitimate star. Might be the highest pick for 2024 to play this year. Kiviharju has a chance to surprise. Players like Hemming and Vaisanen are very experienced at big IIHF tournaments compared to most of the players for the big four nations.

I agree with you about some of the bad roster decisions. I would’ve picked both Muhonen and Soini. They are two of my favorite Finn draft prospects for 2024. But I still think this is one of the best Finnish teams at one of these major IIHF junior tournaments in a number of years compared to the big four (since it became a big 4 with Russia being banned) and I don’t think any of the other big four nations are that strong, so Finland should believe this is their year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So, given that it was a shutout... this means that Canada legit won that game in the first second. That is amazing.lol 6-0 and scored in the first second.lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad